cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using the RV toilet on the road

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 KZ Durango 295CS, FW, and would like to have a little water in the fresh water tank so we can flush a time or 2 on the road. When we leave the campground, and disconnect from the water source, how do we maintain a bit of water for this purpose?
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW
49 REPLIES 49

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
blue trawler wrote:
Don't forget when u fill your tank ur valve is facing down then when u finish putting in the water u want to turn the valve side ways and u are ready to go! Trust me on this one. I am a Durango owner and love my Rv!
I always carry about 10 gallons just for that purpose , using the rest room!

Bruce.

We checked out the valve yesterday....I think we know what to do now. We love our Durango too!
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
silvercorvette wrote:
I tried to send you a private message but you have all messages blocked unless they are on your buddy list

I will correct that.....thanks.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Camper Mama Bear wrote:
keep in mind that once you use the toilet on the road you now have what went into the toilet sitting in your black tank. if you are heading home you need a plan so it doesn't cause an odor problem sitting in the tank until you empty it out. some options...1 - can you dump at home? 2 - are you going out again in a few weeks or a month, if so consider putting a deodorizer in the tank (found in the RV section of walmart or any RV supply store). cooler weather you may not need to put the deodorizer in.
I personally am a strong believer in using my toilet whenever possible. so there are very few trips home when the toilet in the trailer is off limits. and for the next year or so with a little girl potty training those times will be even less because if I can avoid bringing her into a public restroom, I will.

That brought up another question.....if it is in storage....and right now it is and getting warm here....I noticed the small amount of water in the bowl has turned cloudy. I plan to go over today with some water, flush and also add a gallon and some chemicals. We will be going out again in a week. Is this the right thing to do?
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
silvercorvette wrote:
bpounds wrote:
I would recommend getting off the road before using the toilet.

I wanted to give the OP a chance to get aquatinted before having a little fun, but since you broke the ice I'll jump in with this. I would be worried about about running me over while I sat in the middle of the road.

Haha...we will be sure and pull over...but of course this is a FW and would be tough otherwise....we have lots of mistakes to make folks laugh!
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
On my KZ I have 1 inlet for water with a throw valve below... With the valve facing 1 way he water is in the system... With the valve facing the other direction it will fill the water tank....Check to se if yo have an inlet for city water and an inlet for black water flush...THey should be the only 2 inlets you have... If you turn the valve the other way ,you should hear water running just a little bit ..that's good as it is filling up your tank...Joe

Thanks!! This is what we have....we will try the valve in our next trip.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You get in the trailer to use the potty and turn on the pump at that time and after using it turn off the pump. The reason is, if a line should come loose going down the road, you can have a nice flood.

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget when u fill your tank ur valve is facing down then when u finish putting in the water u want to turn the valve side ways and u are ready to go! Trust me on this one. I am a Durango owner and love my Rv!
I always carry about 10 gallons just for that purpose , using the rest room!

Bruce.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
silvercorvette wrote:
bpounds wrote:

I wanted to give the OP a chance to get aquatinted before having a little fun, but since you broke the ice I'll jump in with this. I would be worried about about running me over while I sat in the middle of the road.
Cruise and auto-pilot are not the same thing:B
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:

2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Texas1949
Explorer
Explorer
You will get the hang of it, but even experienced RVers have issues every now and then.
Keep a journal of your trips... list all the things that happen, good and bad and list what you forgot to bring.

As stated, make a check list for hooking up and unhooking. Follow the list and verbally tell the other that item is done. I camp by myself and I have forgotten thing.. made my list and I have not had an issue since. Good Camping will stay with you and your family for a lifetime.
Mike
2006 Crossroads Cruiser 29RK
2011 Dodge Cummins Crew Cab 3500 DRW Long Bed
Harley (Miniature Schnauzer)
Lucy (1/2 Miniature Schnauzer 1/2 ?)
Abby Female Eclectus Parrot

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
One nice thing I noticed about GA rest stops is that they (some of them) have dump stations. If I was not headed north in a few weeks I would have taken advantage of it and dumped.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

Camper_Mama_Bea
Explorer
Explorer
keep in mind that once you use the toilet on the road you now have what went into the toilet sitting in your black tank. if you are heading home you need a plan so it doesn't cause an odor problem sitting in the tank until you empty it out. some options...1 - can you dump at home? 2 - are you going out again in a few weeks or a month, if so consider putting a deodorizer in the tank (found in the RV section of walmart or any RV supply store). cooler weather you may not need to put the deodorizer in.
I personally am a strong believer in using my toilet whenever possible. so there are very few trips home when the toilet in the trailer is off limits. and for the next year or so with a little girl potty training those times will be even less because if I can avoid bringing her into a public restroom, I will.
Good Sam Life Members. Camping with two young children in a 2007 Pilgrim fifth wheel (278BHSS) pulled with a 2002 F350.

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
When you fill the water tank . . . be sure to stand by and not get distracted. Lots of people have blown up water tanks, lifted floors, etc when they were CERTAIN that couldn't happen to them.