cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vinyl or plasti dip

Patbob34
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anybody on here experimented with vinyl or plastidip on their RV. I'm looking into changing the exterior on my trailer and I'm curious to see what your experience are, your thoughts on the subject. Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Patbob34
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the input. I'll probably end up going with the vinyl.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
There are vinyl wrap materials that will last up to 12 years now....so depends on your goal, quick and cheap and going to change soon go plasti-dip, if you want longer term, more expenive, harder to apply/remove and more (unlimited0 graphic options, go with vinyl.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

jneubig
Explorer
Explorer
I used plastidip on my golf cart. It looked very good initially, but did not hold up in the woods running through brush and branches. That being said, it was not too difficult to touch up. The touch ups did show, but I was not looking for a smooth finish anyway.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Plasti dip won't hold up to tree branches scarping. I say skip it, it will look tacky and cheap on the rv. But that's just me. I say you get a vinyl wrap will holdup much better look professional and can get a cool simple design.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I plasti-dipped the hood on my Dodge Challenger and it has lasted three years with no problems. I even used pressure washer on it. But, you do have to be careful. If you get a small piece peeling and hit it with the high pressure, it will peel right off.

My son plasti-dipped the front and rear bumpers on his Subaru, and the wheels and they lasted for two years before he sold it.

Plasti-dip does hold up well. Having said that, I never drove the Challenger through trees so can't tell you if it will hold up to being scraped by branches.

One other thing. If you spray it on, make sure you are in the shade. I sprayed my hood in the direct sun, and it had a rough finish. At first I didn't like it... called the company and they told me it dried too fast. But, more I looked at it, it was kinda cool and different, so I left it.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Videos online of kids plastic dipping their cars and wheels show it peeling off super easy. I get the impression it's very low adhesion and mainly just a quick cosmetic trick for photos or a car show.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Patbob34
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
What are you planning on applying it to on your camper. I used plastidip on my mothers wooden hand rails leading up to her porch. One year later, it was completely gone. After that I just painted with normal paint. Been holding steady for a couple years now.

I would apply it to the exterior wall. I'm mainly wondering if it would affect the re-sealing of the joint and how well it stand against time and the odd tree branch

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
What are you planning on applying it to on your camper. I used plastidip on my mothers wooden hand rails leading up to her porch. One year later, it was completely gone. After that I just painted with normal paint. Been holding steady for a couple years now.