cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Warm water in faucets....

Zekeman
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been posted a few times but I am at a loss. I have a 2006 open roads fifth wheel.

Last season we needed to replace the hot water bypass valve. This season when opened I'm only getting very warm water not hot. I have checked several things. The outside valves < shower> are closed. The bypass valve which we replaced is open, I even closed it and it did only produce cold water. Also went to hot water heater and released hot scolding water so I know it's producing very hot water. I have read it could be a cold water mix getting into the system but I checked the key critters and the external shower is closed and the hit water bypass valve is indeed fully open.

Any other suggestions?
12 REPLIES 12

LARuss
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the bypass line from the valve and look inside the valve while turning the va
lve handle. Make sure the ball is turning and is open in the proper direction. Working in chemical plants for 35 years I have seen many valves that the handle moved but the ball did not. Can really make you pull your hair out trying to find out what is going on. Good luck!

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Do you have both an indoor and outdoor shower?

Most showers have a button on the shower-head to shut off water-flow while both hot and cold faucets are turned partly open. They have no one-way valves so water (cold or hot) can back-flow into the water lines.

If one off the faucets was not closed completely after winterizing, and the button in the closed position on the shower-head, you could have cold water mixing in the water lines.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Had that problem on my Lance several years back. Turns out the faucets on the outside shower were each cracked open a but causing bleed thru. Took forever to find it.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zekeman wrote:
I apologize about my wording the bypas s is closed to allow hot water to flow.... It's a one valve bypass.

Where would I look at the check valve at?

All other faucets seems fine no leaks and not turned on. In and out...

If you have the one valve bypass, the check valve is at the tank outlet. Mine is the top line on the tank and OEM was white plastic one screw directly into the tank bung. In this picture I found on the web you see a white check valve on the hot line.

When my check valve failed it would slam shut the wrong direction and we had no hot water.

Here is another picture with a brass check valve. I believe this bypass valve is in the bypass position. Only a check valve is in the outlet to prevent water to enter the tank when in bypass mode. Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is pictorial diagram that might help understand how the single valve works.

This pictorial claims to be on the Winnebago trailers showing check valves installed.

I personally like the three valve setup much better as you more control of what is going on I think..

Certainly sounds like you are mixing hot with cold water with your one valve when you are getting warm water out of both spigots... That happens on the three valve system when you have the center valve opened up along with the other two valves.

Good luck tracking down your problem - doesn't sound like it will be all that difficult once you start really looking at things real close.

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Zekeman wrote:
I apologize about my wording the bypas s is closed to allow hot water to flow.... It's a one valve bypass.

the bypass line only has one valve but either it is a two way valve (3 way?) or there should be additional valves on incoming and outgoing water.
bumpy

Zekeman
Explorer
Explorer

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
There is a cold line going in, a hot line going out and the bypass valve concting to each of these lines in a "T" formation...the cold line valve and the hot line valve should be open and the bypass valve should be CLOSED

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check valve at the HW tank outlet? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have any single handle faucets they can be a possible source of bleed thru. A 2 handle shower thats left on at the faucets but closed at the shower head is another source. If you're sure the HW bypass valve is closed it may be bad and not complete holding.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
happened to me. the third valve was down low and I had trouble seeing it and it was closed. couldn't really tell it until I held my camera in there and took a picture.
bumpy

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the one valve, two valve or three valve bypass system? The one and two valve systems both use a check valve and this may be the culprit.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel