cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WE DID IT

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Well we are on the way home with our New Rig! ! !
Left yesterday and will make a stop along the way to visit family. then home to Arizona by Monday to recoup. lots of stuff to do, happening etc. didn't realize how much to move even after elimination of a bunch of stuff for the travel trailer. Well so the story goes, we are now a part of the fifth wheel group. Yep and you all were right, pulls great, handles great etc. I just now have to get used to the bucking difference between it and the TT we had. used to whip up and down like a whip, now after hitting that nasty bridge abutment, crams your ruck right into the ground. Well only issue I seem to have at this point is heights. we are right at 13' 6" with the second a/c. I will be super careful, but I understand I should be ok. Well I could go on and on but better get back on the road. Great day to all ! ! !
15 REPLIES 15

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new rig. We should be joining the FW club in a couple of weeks.
magic43

DesertSpooners
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! Enjoy your new rig.
Still having fun!

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
mabynack wrote:
Wow - that's a tall rig. 13.6 is the legal minimum for overpasses on the Interstate. There are a lot of bridges on side roads that you won't be able to get under.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_standards

Vertical clearance. Minimum vertical clearance under overhead structures (including over the paved shoulders) of 16 ft (4.9 m) in rural areas and 14' with allowance for extra layers of pavement. Through urban areas at least one routing should have 16 ft (4.9 m) clearances.

m) in rural areas and , with allowance for extra layers of pavement. Through urban areas at least one routing should have 16 ft (4.9 m) clearances.

I was going by the CDL test I took about 20 years ago.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding height - as mentioned I'd measure to *know* just like you weigh to really know weights. Once you have that number, just be conscious of it when driving. 13'6" will cause you to avoid a few low bridges, but shouldn't give you any real problems going where you want to as long as you watch signage.

Regarding weight - best news is you now have a reason for a new truck (which you can color match too) 🙂
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
mabynack wrote:
Wow - that's a tall rig. 13.6 is the legal minimum for overpasses on the Interstate. There are a lot of bridges on side roads that you won't be able to get under.

Vertical clearance. Minimum vertical clearance under overhead structures (including over the paved shoulders) of 16 ft (4.9 m) in rural areas and 14' with allowance for extra layers of pavement. Through urban areas at least one routing should have 16 ft (4.9 m) clearances.

m) in rural areas and , with allowance for extra layers of pavement. Through urban areas at least one routing should have 16 ft (4.9 m) clearances.

Sounds wonderful in theory, nowhere near a reality. I can show you spots on the PA Turnpike where you will take out a bridge at 70mph if you get that 13'6" rig onto the shoulder. Don't even get me started on highways in the north-east, or out in the big Windy.

KNOW your height....watch the signage.

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
mabynack wrote:

Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
well,
yep we are over. weird though as according to all the numbers, we are with everything except generator as that will happen when we get home, right at 17250 that is figuring in the generator weight. GCVW for me is 16000 but second page of my manual allows an extra 1000 for pin weight if towing fifth wheel or gooseneck. I hit the scale and it gave us a combined weight of 17260. Truck front axle up by 100 lbs, rear axle up by 2040 and trailer axles are 8100. Pulls great, no problems in hills fuel MPG hasn't really changed and tows great! just wondering if one of the scales are off. will get home and take it to the same scale I did the original weights on. just hate to keep spending money o scale tickets. Well truck color isn't the same as trailer either, so maybe I buy a new truck!!!! ha.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
No worries you could pull that with a new 150.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
we bought an Outback 315 fre fifth wheel (10,475 GVWR) as far as the weight ratings go, right at 9000 lbs according to sticker with full water and empty waste. truck squatted less than half an inch I think, she said it didnt' move when we set the trailer on the truck. I will get home, empty all, get r weighed, then weigh again with normal loaded food, clothes and toys! ! ! Pulls just like the trailer, only lost about 1/2 MPG at this point, rpms are just about the same and so it must be mostly pushing the extra height of. wind. Seems like the only weeving is when a truck passes and gets in fornt of us and I get stuck in his whipping tale wind for a moment, just a little wobble. Other than that all is good and I am 99% sure all the weights are fine.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations take it out and enjoy it!! .Air bags should help with the bucking, I had them on our old f150 & made a world of difference, but don't seem to need them on the f250
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations; you will notice it tracks different than a bumper pull in corners.
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now would be a good time to hit a CAT scale and gets some real numbers...your earlier post (3/31) you had concerns on weight/ratings.

Our 5vr is 13'4" 'actual' measurement hooked to truck.
We rarely travel on Interstates, mostly secondary/back roads, and have done just fine. Just pay attention to 'signage',,,,,,,,,,Look UP
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
What did you buy?

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II