cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wet bolt on suspension

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of my wet bolts will not take grease. How do I remedy this little situation??
21 REPLIES 21

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
When I installed mine I filed a chamfer or relief around the exit hole to help the grease move. Also installed the bolts with the holes horizontal.
And of course check the hole is fully drilled before assembly.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
pcm1959 wrote:
The wet bolts are supposed to be installed only at a certain angle to help in the addition of grease. They do not rotate in place as they are grooved to prevent them from doing so (at least in the case of the MorRyde wet bolts).
As others have said, simply take a little pressure off each wheel until the grease goes in. You will find the sweet spot and the grease will go in easily.

I have a couple that I have never found the sweet spot, removed, and repositioned at either 3 or 9 o'clock . They take grease fine when they are out, so I know they work okay, but just cannot get the grease in them with the weight on them or not.

I pulled them out again this spring when I repacked the wheel bearings, and replaced the MorRyde shear springs, repositioned them , and they still will not take grease. Next time around I will replace them.

I am not too worried they have been in there now for about 9 years ,initially greased when installed, there is very little grease around them anyway when they go in. They looked great ,even the two that I have not been able to grease . No wear that I could see. Thats 9 years with just the initial grease when installed 9 years ago. The bronze bushings were still good, and the wet bolts have no slop in them.

What process did you use to remove them? I believe the are splined so I assume you drove them out. Did you use a hammer and punch, or did you use some type of a puller?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:
The wet bolts are supposed to be installed only at a certain angle to help in the addition of grease. They do not rotate in place as they are grooved to prevent them from doing so (at least in the case of the MorRyde wet bolts).
As others have said, simply take a little pressure off each wheel until the grease goes in. You will find the sweet spot and the grease will go in easily.

I have a couple that I have never found the sweet spot, removed, and repositioned at either 3 or 9 o'clock . They take grease fine when they are out, so I know they work okay, but just cannot get the grease in them with the weight on them or not.

I pulled them out again this spring when I repacked the wheel bearings, and replaced the MorRyde shear springs, repositioned them , and they still will not take grease. Next time around I will replace them.

I am not too worried they have been in there now for about 9 years ,initially greased when installed, there is very little grease around them anyway when they go in. They looked great ,even the two that I have not been able to grease . No wear that I could see. Thats 9 years with just the initial grease when installed 9 years ago. The bronze bushings were still good, and the wet bolts have no slop in them.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I assume it has taken grease in the past is that correct?

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the zerk first.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Take the pressure off the bolt, by lifting the spring. Then try to rotate the bolt 90 deg.