cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What are you thought about rear dinette floor plans?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
I saw one that I really loved, but it was not quality built, so I found the same FP by Grand Design. I called to inquire, but they quit making them! They only made them for 2 years.

Any thoughts as to why that type of FP would not sell? I thought it was wonderful to sit at the rear window looking out at the scenery...
32 REPLIES 32

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The scenery we typically look at is the back end of another RV!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We have a rear dinnet (in the slide though). We like the layout.

I'm not buying the full timers don't spend time at the dinnet. That's where I do my work (typing at the dinnet right now). Unless you have a dedicated office space, it's the logical place to work, though it is a hassle when meal time comes around, putting everything away.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice layout overall, only comment I can make is the TV viewing angle would be kind of mediocre.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't worry about the sink splash, you could always put in a removable backsplash if you find it is a problem. And a dish towel strategically placed along the meeting of the two counters would eliminate that problem.

As to the slides and access, the good news is you have access to the bathroom with the slides closed. So you can stop on the side of the road and take a potty break.

Access to the fridge is definitely a problem. Some people just use a cooler in the tow vehicle during the drive. Others only stop where they can open a slide partially or fully and access the fridge that way. If you stop where you can't even partially open the slide and need in the fridge, you're going to have to climb on the sofa and over the sink counter to open the fridge.

Of all the floorplans I've seen on these larger rigs, I really like this one also. I like the flow better than the other plans. You could have visitors and sit facing one another on the sofas to chat. The table with the big window is nice for crafts, computer work, writing, etc., and since you know you spend more time at the table than elsewhere, you're not losing any sense of comfort.

Look at how you plan on traveling. Will you be doing a lot of one night stops or will you drive a day, then spend a few days, then drive some more?

If the latter, then stock a cooler with drinks and food and keep it in the truck with you. No cooked meals until you reach your stop.

If the former, then you might have to be more particular about where you park for the night - no crowded truck stops, etc., where you can't open at least one slide.

The decision really comes down to your personal preferences. If you have to have a hot meal on the road and you aren't traveling major interstates, then you might have a problem. If you can snack on sandwiches, fruits, veggies, etc., then buy a cooler and go for it!
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Actually...the Shasta has less chance of water splashing on sofa than the grand design. GD sofas have high backs that back right up to the sink.

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Interior of 2016 Phoenix 34RD

Floorplan

Issues for me would be NO access to kitchen when traveling and water from kitchen sink splashing over onto couch recliner, spills on counter going over onto couch recliner and spills going under upper level of counter that slides over top of sink counter unable to clean it (slide retracts counter goes over sink counter).

Ahhhh! Thanks for pointing those out!!! Maybe that's why Grand Design they stopped making them! However...this is the same type of counter design and sink splashing water to recliners design for most of the newer rear kitchen units.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
A long video here. Looks nice, a little long for our style of camping though.

34RD video
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interior of 2016 Phoenix 34RD

Floorplan

Issues for me would be NO access to kitchen when traveling and water from kitchen sink splashing over onto couch recliner, spills on counter going over onto couch recliner and spills going under upper level of counter that slides over top of sink counter unable to clean it (slide retracts counter goes over sink counter).
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
This floorplan is really nice.

http://www.shastarving.com/phoenix/?page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=6107

Whew! This link posted...I don't know why the other would not! Unfortunately, no photos of this floorplan on their website, which I found to be quite odd...

Our current lifestyle...we don't watch much TV, if ever. We literally live in the kitchen. We sit at our island on the computer, and I eat very frequently, so to have a nice view next to the table is great!! A table with a view!! And to have a bright, light, kitchen with a HUGE pantry is another plus!

We have looked at many rear living plans and we were always staring at the kitchen when in the sofa or recliners. And, there was barely any room to squeeze into the chairs at the dining table. Very cramped. This rear dining model has soooo much room around the dining table!! We have plenty of space to pull out the chairs and more!! I think I have sold myself on it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

This is the one FP that I have seen...where you don't look at the kitchen when in the living room. There is a greater sense of separation of the areas.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it's because 5ers are used a lot for full-timing and full-time folks put more emphasis on the living area than the eating area. A lot don't really want a dinette (or table and chairs) at all. They'd rather use the recliner or couch and tv trays.

Also, with the couch/recliners in the back, it is easier to put the TV in a position that is more friendly for viewing.

And, if the living area is on the side, then it will look directly at the kitchen and I suspect folks don't want to spend their days looking at the kitchen - and if they look out the window, all they see is their neighbor.

There is probably more room to flip the recliners around in a rear living than in a side living in order to look out the window - and again, the view to the rear will likely be better.

Personally, I love my clipper's rear kitchen with the door right there. But, I have a picture window on each side plus one in the rear and the windshield in the front, so I have a view no matter where it is.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
I don't believe I have ever seen a FP like that. Do you have a link?

Sorry..I tried many times to post the link, but this interface will not let me. Try googling shasta phoenix 34rd or grand design solitude 368rd.

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem I see with rear dining is the location of fridge when traveling. If the slides cause fridge to not be accessible when traveling, it's a no go for me. We use our own facilities and stop at roadside parks or even parking lots sometimes to fix a sandwich when traveling. The fridge and bathroom are important to us to access without opening slides. To each their own though. You really have to buy what makes you happy and what works for your needs. My personal favorite floor plan is the rear living. I like the recliners to face the tv and like the dining to have big window on porch side. We often back up to a site right on the lake nearby that is in a bend and has water view on porch side as well as back end. When the temp is too cool or too hot to be outside, we enjoy the view from inside.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Dinette's at not big sellers with seniors, so you would most like only see that in an enter level trailer. We prefer a table and chairs!!!! Chris

"Dinette", in this case, is table and chairs. It is just the catch-phrase for the layout.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dinette's at not big sellers with seniors, so you would most like only see that in an enter level trailer. We prefer a table and chairs!!!! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather look out the rear window from a living room setting rather than a dining room setting.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE