cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What are you thought about rear dinette floor plans?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
I saw one that I really loved, but it was not quality built, so I found the same FP by Grand Design. I called to inquire, but they quit making them! They only made them for 2 years.

Any thoughts as to why that type of FP would not sell? I thought it was wonderful to sit at the rear window looking out at the scenery...
32 REPLIES 32

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
there are trade offs with any floor plan, DW wanted a good sized kitchen that could hold two people at times. The trade off is we can't access the kitchen with the sides in. our plan is small cooler and lunch prepared before we head out for the day.

We can access the bed and closet with slides in, just not the kitchen.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would like to find a 5th wheel floorplan something like these bumper pull rear dinette plans:

Jayco White hawk 30RDS

KZ Spree S303RL

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a rear dinette I just came across. Interesting plan with happijac bunk above rear dinette.

Wildcat 30WB

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=169&ShowParent=1&ModelID=2988

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

SuperdutyII
Explorer
Explorer
janegowest wrote:
I am not a fan of FL. No view out the back...felt too closed in for me. I like lots of windows and light and having to go up and down the stairs constantly between living and kitchen to me, is too troublesome at our age....

The Montana 3400RL really has nice feel to the layout. There is a sense of separation between living and kitchen, yet it is still open. And the fridge and dinette are accessible with the slide closed. I may have to look for another one that is newer, like a 2011.

We too liked the floor plan of the 3400RL. We purchased a late 2006 version. Unfortunately, we didn't get to enjoy it as much as would have liked to due to all the failures and quality problems we had with our unit. The floor plan is very functional. We had no major complaints about the floor plan. We did make a couple changes. We rotated the dining table 90 degrees and moved the sofa in place of where the two recliners were. It gave us slightly more room around the table but it still was tight. Some may find no access to the dining table when all the slides are in, a problem.

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
How exciting!! I can't wait for the day when we will finally have one of our own!!

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
we actually looked at that unit as well but because we often prepare meals together, I felt the kitchen was too cramped for us. Otherwise, great floor plan. We just recently signed on a Cedar Creek 36CKTS (haven't taken delivery yet). We considered the Cedar Crrek 34RE because it had that sense of separation but just really liked the 36CKTS better. I absolutely cannot wait till we take delivery on the 22nd.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
I am not a fan of FL. No view out the back...felt too closed in for me. I like lots of windows and light and having to go up and down the stairs constantly between living and kitchen to me, is too troublesome at our age....

The Montana 3400RL really has nice feel to the layout. There is a sense of separation between living and kitchen, yet it is still open. And the fridge and dinette are accessible with the slide closed. I may have to look for another one that is newer, like a 2011.

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
janegowest wrote:
you know....after the post about not being able to access fridge with slides closed, I have been looking at RV Trader and seeing that a LOT of FP have this problem! The more I think about it...the more I think I would prefer being able to access the fridge. I may have to sacrifice and pass up this FP...

I can see now, the wisdom of the RL FPs with fridge directly in front of the door. And with curbside dining, we can just sit down at the table and eat our meal with the slides closed!!

We try to stop at rest stop when able and sit at picnic table to eat. Being able to access the fridge and bathroom is nice when traveling. ๐Ÿ™‚

We saw a few different floor plans that this is possible. Most we saw were rear living, rear entertainment and some front living. We prefer rear living because we like recliners across from tv BUT if you don't watch tv, having sofas across from each other in opposing slides may be a good option. Many of the RE and FL floor plans we saw had rooms (BR, kitchen/dining & living) separate of each other. It really is a matter of preference. The FL was very intriguing to me but was too long to fit in our RV garage which made our decision very easy.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
you know....after the post about not being able to access fridge with slides closed, I have been looking at RV Trader and seeing that a LOT of FP have this problem! The more I think about it...the more I think I would prefer being able to access the fridge. I may have to sacrifice and pass up this FP...

I can see now, the wisdom of the RL FPs with fridge directly in front of the door. And with curbside dining, we can just sit down at the table and eat our meal with the slides closed!!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try closing your eyes and just envisioning a weekend in it. Daydream about it. If it's right, it will click. If it isn't, you'll "see" the things that don't work.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
For us, any unit that has a single fridge would require a second smaller one anyway, since I cook from scratch and need a lot of fresh produce on hand.

Trying to find the right RV feels like looking for a needle in a haystack!!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad to help. Yes, you could most likely put a fridge or even a 12v cooler in the basement.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the sink splash, you could always put in a removable backsplash if you find it is a problem.

That thought DID cross my mind!

And a dish towel strategically placed along the meeting of the two counters would eliminate that problem.

Brilliant idea!!

As to the slides and access, the good news is you have access to the bathroom with the slides closed. So you can stop on the side of the road and take a potty break.

Access to the fridge is definitely a problem. Some people just use a cooler in the tow vehicle during the drive. Others only stop where they can open a slide partially or fully and access the fridge that way. If you stop where you can't even partially open the slide and need in the fridge, you're going to have to climb on the sofa and over the sink counter to open the fridge.

Could we just put a small fridge in the basement storage?

Of all the floorplans I've seen on these larger rigs, I really like this one also. I like the flow better than the other plans.

Yes! That's what I really liked about this floorplan! Guests don't have to walk into the kitchen...they can walk immediately into the living room, like you would do in a residential setting, so it felt more normal....comfortable.

You could have visitors and sit facing one another on the sofas to chat. The table with the big window is nice for crafts, computer work, writing, etc., and since you know you spend more time at the table than elsewhere, you're not losing any sense of comfort.

Exactly right!! I never sit on the sofa to do anything, unless we watch a movie once in a while...I have yet to find a comfortable sofa ever since my back was injured...I am very comfortable in a dining chair, as I can't sit on anything soft, so the table is where I spend most of my time indoors. And that is why I loved this FP.

Look at how you plan on traveling. Will you be doing a lot of one night stops or will you drive a day, then spend a few days, then drive some more?

Probably a combination of both. If we like a location, we will stay for a few days or a week. If we don't like it, we will move on.

If the latter, then stock a cooler with drinks and food and keep it in the truck with you. No cooked meals until you reach your stop.

If the former, then you might have to be more particular about where you park for the night - no crowded truck stops, etc., where you can't open at least one slide.

The decision really comes down to your personal preferences. If you have to have a hot meal on the road and you aren't traveling major interstates, then you might have a problem. If you can snack on sandwiches, fruits, veggies, etc., then buy a cooler and go for it!

[COLOR=]I suppose I could cook enough food for the road trip and put it in the small fridge in basement...

Thanks for all your wonderful insight and tips!!

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
Very nice layout overall, only comment I can make is the TV viewing angle would be kind of mediocre.

The TV pulls out and rotates, so it wasn't bad at all...but we rarely watch any TV, so not an issue.