cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what route to use going north on I 95 ?

ib_leblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I am pulling 35 ft fifth wheel from florida to maine... should i stay on I 95 .. are there suggestions out there for bypassing NYC and other places like DC?
9 REPLIES 9

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on DavisK route suggestion. Rt 15 to Harrisburg to 81N.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer
An alternative I like because the view is beautiful, is to take US 17 North in Fredericksburg to Warrenton. At Warrenton take US 15 North to Harrisburg and back to I-81. If you have lots of time, you can stop off in Gettysburg.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds

ib_leblanc
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the suggestions.. i do have time on my side so will try 17 at fredericksburg to 66 onto 81.. thanks a lot

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been back and forth from Fl to Maine several times. We did it on 95 twice; the first and last time. It's horrible. NJ Thruway is deadly and horrible. VWs have disappeared in pot holes. We take US 301 to I26n to I77N to I81n. From there there are a few ways to go depending on where in Maine you are going. We usually go up to Lake George for a few days then head east slowly on one of the state roads; 2 or 3. Avoids JAX, DC, Boston, Hartford, no tolls. Nice roads, scenic.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

greende
Explorer
Explorer
PaYahoo101 wrote:
i pulled 33' north from kissimmee to harrisburg Pa. I take Rt 17N at Fredericksburg to I-66 to I-81 N. Certainly longer but way less stressful. Bypasses DC, Baltimore, etc.

X2 We go to Myrtle Beach from Syracuse a lot and use this route. You could go to Binghamton,NY via I81 then take I88 to Albany & pick up I90 to the Mass Pike.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
PaYahoo101 wrote:
i pulled 33' north from kissimmee to harrisburg Pa. I take Rt 17N at Fredericksburg to I-66 to I-81 N. Certainly longer but way less stressful. Bypasses DC, Baltimore, etc.

agree

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

dballentine
Explorer
Explorer
ib_leblanc wrote:
I am pulling 35 ft fifth wheel from florida to maine... should i stay on I 95 .. are there suggestions out there for bypassing NYC and other places like DC?

How much of a hurry are you in?

Suggestion #1: At Springfield VA, just follow I-95/495 (the Washington Beltway) when it turns east to skirt the DC downtown. DO NOT follow I-395, which goes into downtown. The Beltway can be just as congested as any other road in the DC area, so try to time your transit to a less busy time of the day/week, such as early Sunday morning.

Suggestion #2: If you have the time, avoid the DC area entirely. At Fredericksburg VA (about midway between Richmond and DC), take US-17 northwest to I-66, then take I-66 West to I-81 west of Front Royal VA. Then take I-81 North thru WV, MD, and into PA. Around Harrisburg PA you can then either take I-76 or I-78 back east to I-95, or stay on I-81 to Scranton, where you can take I-84 east into Connecticut (thus avoiding NYC). This route will probably add a day to your trip, but at least you'll be looking at fields and trees instead of oil refineries and endless suburban housing tracts. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ D/A CC LB SRW Z71
Amateur Radio KQ3T, licensed since 1965

PaYahoo101
Explorer
Explorer

radio_flyer
Explorer
Explorer
You can pick up 17/50 in VA, over to 81. Take 81 to 78 to 287 around NYC. Don't go over the GW Bridge. When I go from PA to Maine, I take 84 to Mass Pike to 95, anything to stay away from the big city's. You can also look to go around Hartford Conn. Time of day is important, nothing near rushhour.