cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's a good deal? Big Country 3155

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
For some of you experienced RV buyers, what's a good deal? Currently looking hard at a Big Country 3155. MSRP is listed at $87,000 and the sale price is $62,000. Is the standard dealer discount off that high price? Is there any wiggle room from the $62K or should I be jumping on that deal?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
24 REPLIES 24

JWDryHeat
Explorer
Explorer
Now ya gotta enjoy it. Have fun!
2015 F350 DRW 6.7 PowerStroke
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3970RD

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
This thread started with me asking what is a good deal. I think to update it would probably be too define what is a fair deal. When the negotiating was over, I think we both thought that we had gotten into each others pockets a little. The dealer's best offer resulted in us getting up and leaving over $1,000 discrepancy and the cell phone rang before we made it home. Bottom line, we are now new first time owners of a 5th wheel. Still new fresh enough that emotions range from excited to knot in my stomach.

Now ya gotta pay for it. That's the part that sux. Congrats tho.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
This thread started with me asking what is a good deal. I think to update it would probably be too define what is a fair deal. When the negotiating was over, I think we both thought that we had gotten into each others pockets a little. The dealer's best offer resulted in us getting up and leaving over $1,000 discrepancy and the cell phone rang before we made it home. Bottom line, we are now new first time owners of a 5th wheel. Still new fresh enough that emotions range from excited to knot in my stomach.

ToddD wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:

agree...

Did you buy locally to us? my latest was from Williamstown NJ, I was comparing it to ads from RV's in TX that were cheaper...

I also got the manufacturer involved in the sale, had several conversations with the local rep from Redwood, he went back and forth with the dealer adding incentives to them to pass to me.

I pitted Gayle Kline against Fretz in Souderton, and Fretz won. The both came in around $3k lower than the lowest advertised price on RVTrader, apples to apples on options, and I overall liked the vibe I was getting from Fretz. In the end, they were great to deal with, no BS, and 20 minutes away. 18 Jayco 377RLBH.

Local dealer support in case of warranty issues was very important to me. The camping season is too short to have your rig in for service, worse at the back of the line because you bought it elsewhere...

I helped HAGGLE at Fretz with my B.I.L... he got a โ€œ16โ€ Jayco Premier TT... I really like the folks there. And like you, close ( 30 minutes ) .. In the end, If your talking numbers only, and nothing else.. its all about the Out The Door price
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
And in my case, it isn't all about trailer price. As our salesman mentioned, they can go low of trailer price and lower on trade in value. One has to look at the whole package. Responding to Todd, I've seen the low priced ads being manipulated also by not including destination & prep. Everyone seems to have their game to get you in the door.

1) I agree, it shouldn't be all about price. A local trustworthy dealer was very important to me, and I was prepared to pay more for that arrangement, but In the end I had offers lower than RVTrader pricing from two local trustworthy dealers.

I passed on buying from RVOne, which were another $4k cheaper, because they weren't local (and don't have a good service reputation).

Bottom line: the online RVtrader lowest prices still have a lot of margin built into them. Your local dealer, if they are brand authorized, should be able to beat them. Mine did by $3k with no added fees.

2) If your current rig is paid off and you have a free place to keep it, I'd suggest selling privately instead of trading in. That's what I was able to do, and I sold my rig a week later for $3500 more than trade in offer. If you're not making payments or paying to store it, you're better off getting retail price. Now is the time, with spring on the way, seller's market.

My buying price on my new rig was $3k lower than RVTrader without a trade in.

Good luck.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

agree...

Did you buy locally to us? my latest was from Williamstown NJ, I was comparing it to ads from RV's in TX that were cheaper...

I also got the manufacturer involved in the sale, had several conversations with the local rep from Redwood, he went back and forth with the dealer adding incentives to them to pass to me.

I pitted Gayle Kline against Fretz in Souderton, and Fretz won. The both came in around $3k lower than the lowest advertised price on RVTrader, apples to apples on options, and I overall liked the vibe I was getting from Fretz. In the end, they were great to deal with, no BS, and 20 minutes away. 18 Jayco 377RLBH.

Local dealer support in case of warranty issues was very important to me. The camping season is too short to have your rig in for service, worse at the back of the line because you bought it elsewhere...
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
And in my case, it isn't all about trailer price. As our salesman mentioned, they can go low of trailer price and lower on trade in value. One has to look at the whole package. Responding to Todd, I've seen the low priced ads being manipulated also by not including destination & prep. Everyone seems to have their game to get you in the door.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the 25-30% Off.
About 35 years ago I asked an older feller a question. I said how does one know if he got a good deal on a new vehicle. He said it's up to you. If you feel you got a good deal it's a good deal . If you feel it's a bad deal walk away.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

ToddD wrote:
No doubt, I agree.

However, the RVTrader ads list all the options on the rig being listed, so you can do apples to apples using that resource.

And when I went to market, I assumed regional availability would be the main reason I wouldn't be able to get a price match on the lowest price I found on RVTrader.

So when I brought the lowest price to my local dealers, I expected them to come close, but not necessarily beat those prices. But they both beat the RVTrader prices by a few thousand dollars, and I live in a higher demand area of the country.

That told me that some brands may have minimum advertised price rules in effect, that's why the direct quotes can be even cheaper.

IMHO.

agree...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
No doubt, I agree.

However, the RVTrader ads list all the options on the rig being listed, so you can do apples to apples using that resource.

And when I went to market, I assumed regional availability would be the main reason I wouldn't be able to get a price match on the lowest price I found on RVTrader.

So when I brought the lowest price to my local dealers, I expected them to come close, but not necessarily beat those prices. But they both beat the RVTrader prices by a few thousand dollars, and I live in a higher demand area of the country.

That told me that some brands may have minimum advertised price rules in effect, that's why the direct quotes can be even cheaper.

IMHO.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

ToddD wrote:
I don't know why everyone here is so focused on percentage off MSRP.

MSRP, as mentioned, can be artificially inflated with all sorts of dealer add-ons.

All that matters is the actual selling price.

Like I linked earlier, quite a few examples of this model are on RVTrader selling in the mid $50k range.

And you can take that price to a local dealer and most likely negotiate it down.

Low $50k range is a heck of a lot cheaper than $62k, no matter how that shakes out on percentage discount.

IMHO.

AGREED... BUT, it may not be apples to apples.... Who knows which options are on either.. that could/would inflate the dollars substantially depending on which ones...Comparing a base model to a loaded model wont get anyone anywhere.. It also depends on the geographical area.. certain parts are/ and will be cheaper to purchase...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why everyone here is so focused on percentage off MSRP.

MSRP, as mentioned, can be artificially inflated with all sorts of dealer add-ons.

All that matters is the actual selling price.

Like I linked earlier, quite a few examples of this model are on RVTrader selling in the mid $50k range.

And you can take that price to a local dealer and most likely negotiate it down.

Low $50k range is a heck of a lot cheaper than $62k, no matter how that shakes out on percentage discount.

IMHO.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

The discount would depend on many things... what options were added? what tires? How quickly they want to sell it.. Like stated, 28% off that MSRP of $87,000 is a good starting point to get you BOTH into the game..

Some here have boasted 35% or more discounts off the MSRP, while others are lucky to get 25-30%..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in the game since 1985. The rule of thumb is 25% off list. That looks like a good price.