cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the word on 5er + GN combo hitches these days?

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,
Dabbling with the idea of getting another truck and figured I'd let the hitch I have (Reese Signature 18k slider) go with the current truck. My thoughts:
- I would switch to a long bed and wouldn't need a slider anymore
- Would like to have the option for a GN ball should the need arise to pull a trailer
- Still want to have the fifth wheel hitch option too
- No rails in the bed ("flush fit" needed) for when I need to haul stuff and/or loading a TC in the future
- Easily removable? I use a lift to get my current hitch out of the bed but could always use something easier to get out. I'm sure without the slider I save a good amount of weight.

Last time I looked the B&W was on the short list. Truck might be a 2005-2007 F350 DRW.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products/rvhitch/companion-5th-wheel-hitch

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube
36 REPLIES 36

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
There are four large set screws that keep the coupler from rotating on the kingpin. If the set screws are properly torqued there is no way that thing should ever rotate.

After working maintaining heavy equipment for several years I have replaced several things that should never have failed.
I appreciate the sturdiness of the B&W ball in both my trucks. Neither rattles and height doesn't need to be adjusted on my big GN trailer for hitch up either. As far as the companion, install and removal is easy, the jaws lock around pin so visual inspection tells me it's hitched. One inch solid jaws give me assurance that it's heavy duty and will probably hold up well should there be an emergency and stopping or wreck occurs. I feel comfortable it's not the weak point in my truck and camper setup.
Not hard to install either. Measure and measure again before drilling those holes!
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jerem0621 wrote:
Sturgeon-Phish wrote:
I think there is good reason why people who have the B&W turnover/Companion rave over them. I can't say I can remember anyone who had one say they did not like them
Jim

Your absolutly correct! And they are pretty affordable too!!

You can order the Companion and the Gooseneck online for around 1200.00. If you can install them yourself that is a bonus. I know people who paid 1200 plus for their fifth wheel hitch and rails!

You can be in business with a cheap hitch and rails for under $400 for the parts ordering online. Many many options for people today. I think it's great!

Thanks!

Jeremiah

I installed my TO Ball solo and helped my brother with his. Biggest problem was getting up the nerve to cut that 4" hole in the center of my bed! 🙂 I refused to do that on my brother's truck; his truck, his problem, if he FUBAR'd it. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
N-Trouble wrote:
crcr wrote:
With the Andersen, you're losing some of the easy slide the king pin into the hitch head hook up ability of a standard fifth wheel hitch.

Yes you have to lift the trailer a couple of extra inches to clear the ball BUT you also lose the possibility of high hitching and dropping the trailer on your truck bed like you can with a standard 5er hitch.

A B&W isn't a "standard" FW hitch, IMO. Impossible to high-hitch, unless you count missing the entire hitch a "high-hitch". 🙂

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I don't care for it personally, but the Anderson hitch also is available. I have no real reason for not liking it, just doesn't look strong enough I guess.

I agree, also the frame is transferring weight to the top corrugations of the bed. That could cause deflection with a 18K load they are supposed to be rated for.

Personally I would stick with the B&W.

There have been reports of bed crushing on late-model trucks and B&W has a kit to retro-fit the newer trucks with a base pad that contours to the corrugations in the bed to help with this. Not B&W's fault that the mfrs cheapen up their products.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TriumphGuy wrote:
Hi folks,
Dabbling with the idea of getting another truck and figured I'd let the hitch I have (Reese Signature 18k slider) go with the current truck. My thoughts:
- I would switch to a long bed and wouldn't need a slider anymore
- Would like to have the option for a GN ball should the need arise to pull a trailer
- Still want to have the fifth wheel hitch option too
- No rails in the bed ("flush fit" needed) for when I need to haul stuff and/or loading a TC in the future
- Easily removable? I use a lift to get my current hitch out of the bed but could always use something easier to get out. I'm sure without the slider I save a good amount of weight.

Last time I looked the B&W was on the short list. Truck might be a 2005-2007 F350 DRW.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products/rvhitch/companion-5th-wheel-hitch

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

That short list should only have 1 entry...B&W, all the way! Great products and great company. They've also upped the weight rating on the Companion. I have both, and use both. In fact, used the GN about 3 weeks ago to haul the remains of a neighbor's big pine tree out to our shop so I can slice it up. 🙂

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
There are four large set screws that keep the coupler from rotating on the kingpin. If the set screws are properly torqued there is no way that thing should ever rotate.

Makes sense, I was just looking at the pictures online and saw those set screws.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'll be considering the Companion and giving the Anderson a serious thought. The Reese version looks exactly like what I have now and I want to look at the others more closely and see if I like them better. Want to make sure I've covered the options...
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
there is a plate for putting a ball hitch in the bed.
but with rails in my bed never had a problem. even use them for holding "other" things in place.

unless you need a heaver hitch keep the slider. (worse case sell on flea-bay or cl =cash)

i kept mine and third (first was short, second was long bed) truck is a short bed (would like a long bed but price of a NEW truck says buy what one can).

investments in tools is a long term thing.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
For those pulling large 5er's I would highly recommend looking at the RVK3600 if you have a RAM and factory prep kit.

Look on e trailer at the RVK3600 it's rated at 25K then look at the Andersen it's rated at 24K. Someone is full of Barbara Streisand on those ratings!

I think an Andersen would be fine with a light 5er.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
N-Trouble wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
crcr wrote:
With the Andersen, you're losing some of the easy slide the king pin into the hitch head hook up ability of a standard fifth wheel hitch.

Yes you have to lift the trailer a couple of extra inches to clear the ball BUT you also lose the possibility of high hitching and dropping the trailer on your truck bed like you can with a standard 5er hitch.

Do you still do a pull test with the Andersen?

No need to with a ball/coupler.

I understand there is no need to do a pull test with a Andersen. Why, because you can look at and see it's attached!

Now for those that think I am irresponsible by saying there is no need to do a pull test with a B&W hitch. The above is a perfect example of why I don't with my B&W.

I "LOOK" to see the hitch and kingpin plates ate touching then I "LOOK" to see the 1" fully enclosing jaws are around the kingpin. These tow visual tests are done along with latching and locking the handle. Now see why IMHO there is no reason to do a pull test with a B&W or an Andersen?

Disclaimer...please do a pull test if you want to !!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Looked at one of these Andersen hitches at a dealership. Very stout construction.

Design? Well, look what that shape has done for the pyramids in Egypt! I'd say they've been around for a while.
Yeah, but when was the last time you saw a 5th wheel hooked up to one of them? 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Anderson hitch seems to be very strong with respect to vertical weight, but realistically that never amounts to as much as the pulling weight. That concerns me more than its ability to withstand a lot of vertical weight.

I'm sure it's a good hitch, it just doesn't fill me with confidence. YMMV.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at one of these Andersen hitches at a dealership. Very stout construction.

Design? Well, look what that shape has done for the pyramids in Egypt! I'd say they've been around for a while.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
N-Trouble wrote:
Looks can be deceiving... That is the strongest geometrical shape known to man.

Yep... the thing stood up to 60,000 (sixty thousand) lbs of pressure before the legs buckled. Even then they didn't collapse or come apart catastrophically.

Raising the coupler higher than the ball is not a problem for a fifth wheel. I am not sure why it would be.

I appreciate the design, I also appreciate the Companion hitch. Very good design too.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch