cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whats Your Real Weights? Truck and Trailer. The Real Deal

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know if itโ€™s been done before or not but I was thinking about keeping a running list of real truck weights by year and type, and trailer weights by brand, size and what the total combined weight is of each guys rig. I was hoping the info would be a help for guys wondering about what the real weights are for a certain type of truck and to keep track of the more popular brand 5th wheel trailers. Another thing that will come out of it will be to see just how many guys really know what they are towing and if they know what their weight capacities are.
Iโ€™m sure it will take some time to compile a list and it will grow as guys add there info but Iโ€™m hoping it will help the newer guys in the long run to be directed back over to this thread in the future.
Iโ€™ll keep the TV lists to mainly the big 3 and from ยพ ton and up and Iโ€™ll try to keep the 5ers in a group by real GVW, length, and then manufacture. Any ideas are welcome as long as it makes things easier. And only real information can be given, so no guessing allowed. Only guys that have scaled there rigs or are totally certain of the weights.
Letโ€™s see if I can keep the format real simple to type down and that will make it simpler for guys to refer back to and to keep track of.
Here we goโ€ฆโ€ฆ

TV - 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 4x4, real scaled weight with full fuel, hitch, DH-DW and misc. gear = 7,500lbs. TV GVWR is 10,200lbs
5ver โ€“ KZ New Vision TH 38ft 14,500lbs loaded GVW. GVWR is 18,000lbs
Normal running TV & TH GCW weight= 22,500lbs, TV GCWR is 23,000lbs
Real Wet Pin Weight=2,950lbs
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K
859 REPLIES 859

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember right, the F450 has a GCWR of about 26,001#. That should leave you enough room to tow a lot of trailers. Good luck.
Frank
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just had the 2008 F-450 to the scales. With full tank of diesel, me and the wife along with the dog. Front axle 5350 lbs. and rear 4300 for a total weight of 9650 lbs. Looks like the truck is more than capable to pull the DRV Mobile Suite when we get it. Will come back then and add those weight ins.

2008 F-450 9650lbs.
rear - 4300
front- 5350
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

scribler
Explorer
Explorer
sirdrakejr wrote:
The weights you show say the truck weighs 9900# with the trailer on. The truck weight as 7800# subtracted from the 9900# weight shows the pin weight is 2100#. The total trailer weight is the pin PLUS the trailer axle of 8980# which = 11,080#. The 18,880# combined weight is the 7800# truck plus the trailer weight of 11,080# which is exactly right. It seems that you have matched trhe truck and trailer perfectly. I am assuming that the truck it a 1T truck, DRW or SRW?
Frank
If I understand all this right, we now compare his scale gross combined trailer weight actual of 11,080 to his 12,850 tow weight rating (presumably his tow vehicle's spec) and find that he is actually 1,770 lbs UNDERweight there and comparing his scale gross combined trailer & truck weight actual of 18,880 lbs to his 20,000 GCWR (again per TV spec) and find that he is 1,120 lbs UNDERweight overall? Which would mean that he is far from danger?
DA BEAST is still looking for a home to haul or tow

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, I think you are pretty close. The ONLY sure way to know is to put 'er on the scales. If you have any gas stations nearby that cater to truckers. they will probably also have scales for public use. Look in a phone book for "public scales" for one near you.
Frank
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

scribler
Explorer
Explorer
partsman01 wrote:
Found this label after looking through the cupboards.

So if I understand this right, and I take off the weight of what they call the fresh water, which is the hot water tank and the fresh water tank I come up with 879Kg/1933.8Lbs for what I can put in as far as personal effects/cargo.
Am I close?
Plus if I take off these figures I should come up with my dry weight.
Which would be 3657Kg/8046lbs?

I think it means they have already taken off the weight of the full freshwater & hot water tanks and you are left with 1054 kg to load with people, effects, stuff, and s--t. They are warning you that if you travel with full fresh/hot water AND grey/black waste full, you lose 378 kg more (wow, heavy s--t!) and you will have to leave some of your family at the campsite because your allowance is now only 676 kg for everyone and everything not part of the unit. The moral seems to be: empty your waste before taking on more fresh water (makes sense)and never tow your s--t around (especially in the rocky mountains).

For the "dry weight" of your trailer you need to find the GVWR (another sticker?) and deduct from that the 1054 kg load allowance and the 175 kg fresh/hot water allowance (your truely empty load allowance is in fact 1229 kg) and the resulting number should be the trailer weight with absolutely no water, people, stuff or waste in it...however, this number may be wrong if you had options and extras added at the factory or dealer...it always gets back to finding a scale doesn't it?

Just saw your earlier posting that your GVWR is 4128 kg; therefore, the unit's dry weight s/be: 4128-1229=2899 kg.

Caveat: I am a new RVer but I used to crunch numbers for a living; therefore, I'm strong on the math but real weak on the principles like even where to find a scale...I'll be interested to see if Frank agrees with my calculations.

scribler
Explorer
Explorer
gotoloco wrote:
Can we really trust the manufacture and the weights, our Silverback has 9052 stamped on it as uvw, the options that we have are two recliner chairs and table and four chairs. Now the weight is it before they add the appliances, couch, bed and such?? This our fifth wheel and before have always had small ones so not as concerned with the actual weight of the trailer. How does one find out that information?? Also there are so many different ideas regarding weight that how does one really know??

That's a really good question. I am personally currently looking closely at the question of weight ratings because I just bought a new truck. In looking at TT and 5thW specs of various manufacturers I found that sometimes the "dry weight" is an almost empty shell, sometimes it includes all factory installed "features" as per the schematic they give you when you are a prospective buyer and sometimes it includes some but not all of the "options." Long story short, there seems to be no industry standard and as the old hands on this forum suggest the only way to know is to find a weight scale.

Just as a passing point of interest, I even had trouble nailing down how much my truck weights. Using the numbers on the sticker on the truck I calculated 6147 lbs; when I got my registration from the DMV it said 5900 lbs weight...the difference turned out to be a full gas tank vs an empty one..! I guess they just don't want us to be bored and have nothing to do, so they provide us with these mathematical puzzles...(g)

scribler
Explorer
Explorer
sirdrakejr wrote:
There are truck stops that have scales for public use. Usually it will cost about $8 or so for the first weight on the empty truck. Then they allow you a return weigh with a trailer in less than 24 hours. Ask about that. That will give you all the weights you need to figure the numbers you need.
Frank
Thank You Frank! Now is there something visible from the road that will indicate to me it is a public scale before I get into the exit line? I suppose that probably varies from state to state...I'll keep my eyes open for a scale with a short waiting line.

Just a passing thought: I wonder if one could trust the scale at a county refuse collection center...you know where they weight your truck on the way in and on the way out and charge your disposal fee based on the weight you shed in between.

gotoloco
Explorer
Explorer
Can we really trust the manufacture and the weights, our Silverback has 9052 stamped on it as uvw, the options that we have are two recliner chairs and table and four chairs. Now the weight is it before they add the appliances, couch, bed and such?? This our fifth wheel and before have always had small ones so not as concerned with the actual weight of the trailer. How does one find out that information?? Also there are so many different ideas regarding weight that how does one really know??

It is good to have so many of your out there in RV land who can give advise and help!

Al and Colleen
2009 Cedar Creek Silverback 32 WRL
2004 Dodge 4x4 diesel 2500 truck

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
There are truck stops that have scales for public use. Usually it will cost about $8 or so for the first weight on the empty truck. Then they allow you a return weigh with a trailer in less than 24 hours. Ask about that. That will give you all the weights you need to figure the numbers you need.
Frank

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Found this label after looking through the cupboards.

So if I understand this right, and I take off the weight of what they call the fresh water, which is the hot water tank and the fresh water tank I come up with 879Kg/1933.8Lbs for what I can put in as far as personal effects/cargo.
Am I close?
Plus if I take off these figures I should come up with my dry weight.
Which would be 3657Kg/8046lbs?

scribler
Explorer
Explorer
sirdrakejr wrote:
In the newer models of trailers there is supposed to be a GVW tag/label in one of the kitchen cabinets that will show all the weights and also the options for that trailer. The tag on the outside SHOULD have the empty weight including the full propane tanks. You can then figure the difference that you can add to the trailer and be under the GVW AND the GAWR. The best way to know is first weight the tow vehicle alone with full fuel and passengers. Then weigh the combo and figure the actual pin weight and the trailer weight.
Frank

I just bought the first truck in my life (at age 66) so I'm totally new at this hauling and towing business and so I have to ask what may appear to be a stupid question: where does one go to weigh one's truck and/or trailer? Do you just join the line at one of those highway scales on the interstate? or would that result in some 18 wheeler maniac turning me into a pancake..?

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
In the newer models of trailers there is supposed to be a GVW tag/label in one of the kitchen cabinets that will show all the weights and also the options for that trailer. The tag on the outside SHOULD have the empty weight including the full propane tanks. You can then figure the difference that you can add to the trailer and be under the GVW AND the GAWR. The best way to know is first weight the tow vehicle alone with full fuel and passengers. Then weigh the combo and figure the actual pin weight and the trailer weight.
Frank

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, maybe you folks can help me on this 2004 Wilderness fifth wheel we just bought, it shows a GVWR of 4128 Kg/9100lbs and the GAWR for front and rear axle shows as 1951Kg/4300lbs how does this tell me what it weighs empty and where is the one that should show what amount of weight we can put in it?
Thanks.

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
The weights you show say the truck weighs 9900# with the trailer on. The truck weight as 7800# subtracted from the 9900# weight shows the pin weight is 2100#. The total trailer weight is the pin PLUS the trailer axle of 8980# which = 11,080#. The 18,880# combined weight is the 7800# truck plus the trailer weight of 11,080# which is exactly right. It seems that you have matched trhe truck and trailer perfectly. I am assuming that the truck it a 1T truck, DRW or SRW?
Frank

gotoloco
Explorer
Explorer
Well we finely got our 2009 32WRL Silverback to the Cat scales yesterday, these were the numbers!
We weighed our truck alone loaded and full of gas at:
7800 pds.

Fifth wheel was fully loaded, no water as we never carry it!
4480 steer axle
5420 drive axle
8980 trailer axle
18,880 combined weight

Have never fully understood the weight issues and everyone seems to have a different view on what it all means!!:?

Now if we can just figure out what it all means??? Our truck is rated to tow 12850 camper, 20,000 combined GCWR, can't seem to figure out what the pin weight is, I know we are very close to being overweight however the truck does a great job and no real issues. Since we live in Colorado and do travel some high mountain passes we know we must be careful.. :?

Al and Colleen
Lucy and Ricky (10 year old poodle and bishon)
2009 32 WRL Silverback
2004 Dodge Ram Cummings Turbo Diesel 5.9 6 speed HD Manual tranny
Western Slope Colorado