cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whats Your Real Weights? Truck and Trailer. The Real Deal

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know if itโ€™s been done before or not but I was thinking about keeping a running list of real truck weights by year and type, and trailer weights by brand, size and what the total combined weight is of each guys rig. I was hoping the info would be a help for guys wondering about what the real weights are for a certain type of truck and to keep track of the more popular brand 5th wheel trailers. Another thing that will come out of it will be to see just how many guys really know what they are towing and if they know what their weight capacities are.
Iโ€™m sure it will take some time to compile a list and it will grow as guys add there info but Iโ€™m hoping it will help the newer guys in the long run to be directed back over to this thread in the future.
Iโ€™ll keep the TV lists to mainly the big 3 and from ยพ ton and up and Iโ€™ll try to keep the 5ers in a group by real GVW, length, and then manufacture. Any ideas are welcome as long as it makes things easier. And only real information can be given, so no guessing allowed. Only guys that have scaled there rigs or are totally certain of the weights.
Letโ€™s see if I can keep the format real simple to type down and that will make it simpler for guys to refer back to and to keep track of.
Here we goโ€ฆโ€ฆ

TV - 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 4x4, real scaled weight with full fuel, hitch, DH-DW and misc. gear = 7,500lbs. TV GVWR is 10,200lbs
5ver โ€“ KZ New Vision TH 38ft 14,500lbs loaded GVW. GVWR is 18,000lbs
Normal running TV & TH GCW weight= 22,500lbs, TV GCWR is 23,000lbs
Real Wet Pin Weight=2,950lbs
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K
859 REPLIES 859

Glen_Schumann
Explorer
Explorer
DW-gray wrote:

GVWR will always be more the combined weight of the front and rear GAWR. I've never seen the combined weight of the front and rear GAWR more than the GVWR.

I believe this is not correct. See the third line of a photo of my weight label:

GAWR allows for extra wieght on one axle as long as you stay below GVWR (for a snow plow for instance). I have never seen a label where the total GAWR equaled the GVWR.
2013 Redwood 34 SK (36'11", e slides, dual pane windows, self leveling, full paint)
2010 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Crew Cab Duramax/Allison 4X4 LB
B&W Companion Hitch on Rollover Gooseneck Ball
Handmade Pens, Glenโ€™s Workshop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlensWorkshop

Tireman9
Explorer
Explorer
I also note that few posting on this thread have made allowances for the axle to axle variation of their trailer or the side to side variation on all their axles.

Based on some data it is not unreasonable to see 5% or more variation between axles and another 5% or more on side to side variation.

Some individuals ahve been shocked to learn they have one position overloaded by more than 10% and that's with the tire at max inflation.

You need to look at each ov the number of load limits to have a safe setup.

You should never exceed any measurement be it GAWR, GVWR, Max pin load, Max ball load, GTW, Max on individual tire.
40 years experience as tire Design & Quality engineer with focus on failed tire forensics.

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
See apology below.
Dave Gray

RV Safety Educator & Consultant

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, 09 Heartland Cyclone 4012

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I am not saying it right. The GVWR of the truck is there to let you know what it should weigh when loaded. The axle's each have a weight rating that is the MAX for the axle, wheels & tires. If you use the GAWRs to decide how to load the truck you will then be over the GVWR since the combined total GAWR is always higher than the GVWR. That is why I try to tell people not to use the GAWR for loading. I call the difference a "safety factor" since the dynamics of towing and bouncing can and sometimes will EXCEED the GAWR of the axles as you travel. Staying under the truck's GVWR will give you that cushion. You are loaded okay as far as I can tell. I just wanted to make you aware that mixing the two ratings COULD be a problem later on. Travel safe and return home happy.
Frank
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
sirdrakejr wrote:
What I am saying is that if you are going to use GVWR to decide how to load the truck, you cannot then use the GAWRs to know if you are okay. They will ALWAYS be higher than the GVWR.

Yes, but if you do use the GVWR as the most limiting factor to load the truck (as I did above), shouldn't I also look at the individual GAWRs and the actual weights on those axles to be sure I'm not way out of whack somewhere in how I loaded the truck or trailer? I wasn't attempting to say the combined axle weight ratings on the truck "overrode" the 10,000lb GVWR, just that my actual weights on the axles was well below their individual ratings.

What I'm still trying to figure out is did you post this...
sirdrakejr wrote:
The problem I have with most people who weigh their
trucks is that they mix "apple & oranges". The truck has a GVWR of 10,000#. Then they use the GAWR for the other weights rather than the GWR for each axle. The two GAWRs will NEVER equal the GVWR because they will be higher. They are higher for a reason and you should TRY to stay within the GVWR and not the GAWR. But that is for another thread.
Frank

...in response to the weights I posted to point out something I did incorrectly? If so, I'm still not getting it - not trying to be argumentative, just not understanding.
2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS (trade in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
What I am saying is that if you are going to use GVWR to decide how to load the truck, you cannot then use the GAWRs to know if you are okay. They will ALWAYS be higher than the GVWR. That could give you grief when you look at whether or not the truck can CARRY or TWO the trailer. Do a search in this forum for "GVWR" and see what you get. There are many threads about that.
Frank
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
REWahoo wrote:
sirdrakejr wrote:
The problem I have with most people who weigh their trucks is that they mix "apple & oranges". The truck has a GVWR of 10,000#. Then they use the GAWR for the other weights rather than the GWR for each axle. The two GAWRs will NEVER equal the GVWR because they will be higher. They are higher for a reason and you should TRY to stay within the GVWR and not the GAWR. But that is for another thread.
Frank

If this is addressed to my post above, please start the thread so I can understand what you are trying to tell me. I'm not seeing where I did what you are saying.

REWahoo, from what I see, you are missing two things. 1. The truck GCWR and 2. Hitch GTWR. You have incomplete info.

Consider using the Truck and Trailer Weight Report shown below.
Dave Gray

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
sirdrakejr wrote:
The problem I have with most people who weigh their trucks is that they mix "apple & oranges". The truck has a GVWR of 10,000#. Then they use the GAWR for the other weights rather than the GWR for each axle. The two GAWRs will NEVER equal the GVWR because they will be higher. They are higher for a reason and you should TRY to stay within the GVWR and not the GAWR. But that is for another thread.
Frank

If this is addressed to my post above, please start the thread so I can understand what you are trying to tell me. I'm not seeing where I did what you are saying.

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
Frank

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
First weigh-in of new truck and new (to us) 5th wheel:
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS

Truck specifications:
GVWR 10,000
GAWR Front 5,200
GAWR Rear 6,200
Max payload 2,440

Trailer specifications:
GVWR 12,500
GAWR 5,000 (x2)

CAT Scales

Truck: (loaded for the road, full tank of diesel, hitch, me & the wife)

Steer Axle 4740
Drive Axle 3320
Gross 8,060

Truck and trailer: (truck same as above, trailer packed for the road)

Steer Axle 4,720
Drive Axle 5,340
Trailer 9,020
Gross 19,080

That means:
Pin weight 2,020 (18%)
Truck GVW 10,060

I'm under the maximum limits except for (surprise) the truck 10,000 GVWR. I exceed that limit by 60 pounds (0.6%).

I think I'll go with it.

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
Lado wrote:
Well, I am brand new to this camping stuff. I guess I really have a question or looking for a thumbs-up or thumbs-down if what I have is ok. I do not know the weight of my truck (2010 F150 FX4 Supercab, door and a half). My camper is a 2011 34' 5th wheel (Chaparral Lite-for 1/2 tons) that weighs 8330. Truck is equiped with a 5.4L engine and has the max trailer towing package. I live in southeast louisiana which is flat lands but I do want to get out and around other states.

My Truck:
GCWR - 17,100
Axle Ratio - 3.73E

????

Firstly, You need to study this guide for your answer: 2010 F150 Towing Guide

Second, if you have Microsoft Excel on your computer, you may use the spreed sheet shown below to guide you through weighing your truck and trailer.
Dave Gray

Lado
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I am brand new to this camping stuff. I guess I really have a question or looking for a thumbs-up or thumbs-down if what I have is ok. I do not know the weight of my truck (2010 F150 FX4 Supercab, door and a half). My camper is a 2011 34' 5th wheel (Chaparral Lite-for 1/2 tons) that weighs 8330. Truck is equiped with a 5.4L engine and has the max trailer towing package. I live in southeast louisiana which is flat lands but I do want to get out and around other states.

My Truck:
GCWR - 17,100
Axle Ratio - 3.73E

????

boomsling
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info! I was a little worried about being so close to the GCVWR. With 4.30 gears the GCVWR bumps to 22,000. Same truck. What gives? Maybe I shouldn't be so worried. It pulls and stops just fine.
2017 F250 SCLB 2wd 6.2
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
boomsling wrote:
Do ya'll think I need more truck for this camper? The pin weight seems high to me, but I'm brand new to the 5th wheel world.

Looks good to me.

You are under the max in all categories. Your pin weight is at 21%, in the middle of the recommended 15 -25% range.

I'm weighing my new rig next week for the first time and doubt my numbers will look as good as yours.

boomsling
Explorer
Explorer
2011 F250 CC FX4 6.2 3.73
2011 Jayco Eagle Superlite 30.5 DBSA
CAT Scales

Truck: (1/2 tank of gas, me 190lbs, son 155 lbs, 5th hitch)

Steer Axle: 4260
Drive Axle: 3200
Gross : 7460

With camper packed to camp, 3/4 tank of gas, me 190lbs, wife 120lbs, son 155lbs, daughter 80lbs, son 30lbs.

Steer Axle: 4,480
Drive Axle: 5,280
Trailer : 7,860
Gross : 17,620

That means :
Truck : 9,760 (weight on axles)
Trailer : 9,940
People : 575
Pin : 1,780ish

Truck GVW is 10,000
Truck Max Cargo 2,400
Truck Max tow 12,000
Truck GCVWR 19,000
Trailer GVW 11,700

I think I'm under all of my max weights. It pulls, and stops just fine. I'm getting Timbrens next week to level out the truck. I'm kind of close to the max weights. Do ya'll think I need more truck for this camper? The pin weight seems high to me, but I'm brand new to the 5th wheel world.
2017 F250 SCLB 2wd 6.2
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK