cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats Your Real Weights? Truck and Trailer. The Real Deal

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know if it’s been done before or not but I was thinking about keeping a running list of real truck weights by year and type, and trailer weights by brand, size and what the total combined weight is of each guys rig. I was hoping the info would be a help for guys wondering about what the real weights are for a certain type of truck and to keep track of the more popular brand 5th wheel trailers. Another thing that will come out of it will be to see just how many guys really know what they are towing and if they know what their weight capacities are.
I’m sure it will take some time to compile a list and it will grow as guys add there info but I’m hoping it will help the newer guys in the long run to be directed back over to this thread in the future.
I’ll keep the TV lists to mainly the big 3 and from ¾ ton and up and I’ll try to keep the 5ers in a group by real GVW, length, and then manufacture. Any ideas are welcome as long as it makes things easier. And only real information can be given, so no guessing allowed. Only guys that have scaled there rigs or are totally certain of the weights.
Let’s see if I can keep the format real simple to type down and that will make it simpler for guys to refer back to and to keep track of.
Here we go……

TV - 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 4x4, real scaled weight with full fuel, hitch, DH-DW and misc. gear = 7,500lbs. TV GVWR is 10,200lbs
5ver – KZ New Vision TH 38ft 14,500lbs loaded GVW. GVWR is 18,000lbs
Normal running TV & TH GCW weight= 22,500lbs, TV GCWR is 23,000lbs
Real Wet Pin Weight=2,950lbs
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K
859 REPLIES 859

NewRV5ver
Explorer
Explorer
When it comes to truck and trailer weights I am kind of clueless. I always felt my truck and trailer combo was at the max, but not knowing my actual weight left me wondering?
While on vacation I found a Cat Certified Truck Scale so I weighed the combo to get the actual weight of both truck and trailer.
The trailer is a 2008 Jayco Eagle RLTS 291 model with 4000 generator on board.
The TV is a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 5.9 Cummings, Auto with 3.73 Axle ratio and air bags.
I had a half of tank of diesel fuel and my wife and I weighed in with the truck. The holding tanks were also empty of liquid.

After weighing in here are the results!

Steer-axle = 4500 lb
Drive-axle = 6420 lb
Trailer-axle = 9380 lb
Gross Weight = 20300 lb

What does all this mean in terms of being over the weight limits?
SPENDING LESS TIME ON THE COMPUTER AND MORE TIME RVING IS GOOD......YES!:@

2008 Jayco Eagle291 RLTS 35.4'
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 CTD Quad Cab Short Bed 4x4
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Slider Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Control
Wonderful Wife - Susan
Ditto-Min Pin Dog

Rick_MC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys! Weighed my 2008 F250 CC HD 6.4 diesel with 3.73 rear 6.75 ft bed with factory trailer package.

Sticker Weights
GVWR = 10000
Front GAWR = 6000
Rear GAWR 6100

Actual weight
Full tank fuel, me(290) and diamond steel work box assorted tools.
GVWR = 8380
Front axel = 5040
Rear axel = 3340

LT275/65R20E GoodYear Wranglers.
2008 F350 Lariat DRW 6.4 PSD Super Duty 4.10 Rear
2018 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
Q5 Curt 20K Slider
2008 F250 Lariat Super Duty Firestone Air Ride Bags {sold}

Frostdog46
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2010 Raptor RP300MP weighs 11020 with full generator fuel tank, no water on board, and a 1500 lb. toy on board,

We pull this with a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 eight foot bed, quad cab, 6.7 Cummings Diesel equipped with Airlift add on pillows. The truck with full tank came in at 9440 lbs. hitched up to the Raptor. Run with 70 psi rear and 50 psi front on the truck and 80 psi on the trailer quads.

On our recent long trip of near 3000 miles we got as low as 8.7 and a high of 14.3 miles per gallon. The average was 10.8 and we traveled at 65 miles per hour 99% of the trip. Used no oil on the motor with 40k miles. Pulled mountains with no more than one down shift of the six speed Alison. This truck performs very well and rides like a dream-loaded that is.

I am a happy camper!

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
TimnJo wrote:
TV - 2007.5 Chevy Silverado CC/SB D/A LTZ
Fiver - 2003 Glendale Titanium 32E37, empty fresh, 1/3 full black and 2/3 full grey:

Steer axle 4620 Lbs
Drive axle 5220 Lbs
Trailer axle 8620 Lbs
Gross weight 18460 Lbs

Assuming truck weight of 7750 Lbs trailer = 10710 Lbs

Specs for truck from GM:

GAWR(F) 4860 - Under by 240
GAWR(R) 6884 - Under by 1664
10584 -
GVWR 9200 - Over by 640
GCWR 22000 - Under by 3540

ON EDIT:

Weighed truck alone yesterday: 7450 Lbs, 1/2 tank of fuel, with me on board
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

Aaramar
Explorer
Explorer
Good points all about weights.

However there is more to the story. In doing extensive research, I ran across www.safetyhitch.com which is a big time game changer. The real issue folks should worry about is not really what their truck will be able to accelerate to highway speed with, but instead concentrate on what their truck will do in terms of stopping power. A secondary issue is the amount of weight in the pickup bed, which under heavy braking causes the front wheels to lose traction/contact with the tarmac.

In 2008, the game changed when the automated safety hitch was invented. There is no real difference in towing ability between a 3/4 ton truck and massive dually equipped. The only value the dually has is an extra set of tires. The Safety Hitch does that and more, by providing a steerable (at low speeds) axle with better brakes than your truck is likely to come with. The biggest advantage is that your front end stays fully loaded, even under hard braking, giving you vastly superior braking and steering. At high speeds, the steerable axle locks up and provides a longer wheelbase to prevent fishtailing. Even a 3/4 ton will now have the capacity for up to 26.000 #s without a commercial license and actually more.

FLSTS03
Explorer
Explorer
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 Dually CAT Steer Axle 4680 Rated 5200
Drive Axle 5540 Rated 9350
GVW 12200

06 Montana 3400RL Cat Trailer Axles 10880 Rated 13350

Total CAT Gross Weight 21100 Rated GCVW 21000

As you can see each axle is OK vs Rated yet I'm OVER 100# Rated GCVW

Need to lose a little belly fat

Steve

dieseldad55
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed 4 new Goodyear Marathon ST235/80R16 E 123. They have a weight limit of just over 3400 lbs ea. I still have yet to have my 5er weighed, but plan to before next trip. I know these Goodyears are foreign made, but they do have the Goodyear name and the backing of Americas Tire company. It's really hard to find American made trailer tires. So,I feel better than when I had the garbage Duraking 181's. My trailer dry weight tag says 8,130 lbs. I don't believe I have over 4,000 lbs of accessories, I never carry more than 10 gals. of fresh water, and gray & black are always empty, but.....? And I like the info on weighing each tire. Total trailer weight is good to know, but doesn't help if trailer is off-loaded & uneven causing excessive weight on any one tire.

lrash
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ford F-450 and 2011 Montana Mountaineer. Fully loaded 21,600.

amfisher
Explorer
Explorer
"Rv Travel", a weekly emailed news publication, surveyed their readers last year and found that only 47% of the 1800 or so respondents, actually knew their "weights". And I believe many of these folks are full-timers or nearly full-timers!
After weighing our truck and fiver at a certified CAT scale, and being very surprised with the actual weights compared to those from the factory, I have a theory that most tire failures are because of inadequate tires for the loads of the fivers. Most people are careful about their psi's and watch the tire temps, but the tires are often just not sufficient enough to carry the loads placed on them.
I changed to GY 114 "H" rated tires 17.5" from the factory "E" rated Duros. The new tires were "fresh" (manufactured within the last 4 months) and will be replaced in four years regardless of the tread condition.
The CAT scale weights really startled me because we don't have the fiver "overstocked", but our fiver is near capacity for CCC. Good luck. amf

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer
Tireman9 wrote:
Some data that is very obvious by its omission is the real loads on each tire.
I see lots of posts with the numbers for all axles ( 2 or 3 ) combined but almos no data on individual axle loads.

I have read elseware of 2 axle TT being close to 46/54 than 50/50 and of a three axle unit being 30/32/37%

The other part of the important equation is actual side to side variation with few units at 50/50 of that axle's load and some axles being at 45/55%

So unless you have weighed your unit with its full load (food, clothes, water, propane and other "stuff") you are only guessing at how much load you are actually asking your tires to carry.

Even at max sidewall pressure you may be operating overloaded.

All the above also assumes the axles are all in align and none are bent which of course introduces additional dynamic loading.

So as the title of this tread asks... "What is your Real Weights?"

This is primarily why I haven't posted my weights here. The true value of how folks weigh is somewhat limited.

I've had each and every truck and 5W tire weighed (military scales) and I've had CAT scale weights as well. I can tell you that there is quite a difference from side-to-side as well as some differences between from front-and-rear trailer tire weights on my trailer. It also varies when the trailer (or truck) leans when traveling (transverse loads) such as when the road is lower on the shoulder than center or during dips, etc. My first individual tire weight was with the trailer off level to a degree. Almost 1000lbs difference side to side. It is my belief that the single-biggest safety factor is, without a doubt, the tires/wheels.

So, what can you do? With my trailer, I upgraded with tires that were rated quite a bit above the worst weight that I weighed when trailer was NOT level. I now feel comfortable that I've installed the best wheels/tires I could afford. On top of that, a TPMS is in the works. I've taken these types of measures in every safety aspect I can imagine. My piece of mind is worth it.

I hope that the purpose of this thread is to educate folks. If so, these issues could use some more discussion albeit weighing in this fashion is difficult. Good on you for raising the flag!

PatnRich
Explorer
Explorer
Hit the Cat scales last weekend, results as follows:

Weight with rv:

4,880 lb Steer Axle, 6140 lb Drive Axle, 11,940 lb
Trailer Axles, 22,960 lb Gross Weight, 2,640 lb Pin Weight

2010 Montana 3400RL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW CC SB, 16K PullRite
SuperGlide
2010 Montana 3400RL, 2011 Ford F350,CC,SB,16K Pullrite SuperGlide

vairman
Explorer
Explorer
4920 lb Front axle (rated at 6000 lb)

6680 lb Rear Axle (Rated at 6780 Lb) Pin Weight 3400 lbs

11600 lbs Trailer wheels

23200 Lb GCVW (23500 lb GCVWR)

With new trailer I am still under limits but I upgraded Tires and Airbags for added margin
2011 F450 6.7L PSD Lariat
2013 Lifestyle 36FW
25K Airsafe Hitch

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
I here you guys talking about the GCVWR.Where are you finding this info on the truck? All my Dodge 2500 and Ford F350 has is

FAWR
RAWR
GVWR

GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating) is not normally found on the data plate. It may be found in your truck's Owners Manual, in a Towing Guide, or other documentation provided by the truck manufacturer.
Dave Gray

RV Safety Educator & Consultant

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, 09 Heartland Cyclone 4012

Tireman9
Explorer
Explorer
Some data that is very obvious by its omission is the real loads on each tire.
I see lots of posts with the numbers for all axles ( 2 or 3 ) combined but almos no data on individual axle loads.

I have read elseware of 2 axle TT being close to 46/54 than 50/50 and of a three axle unit being 30/32/37%

The other part of the important equation is actual side to side variation with few units at 50/50 of that axle's load and some axles being at 45/55%

So unless you have weighed your unit with its full load (food, clothes, water, propane and other "stuff") you are only guessing at how much load you are actually asking your tires to carry.

Even at max sidewall pressure you may be operating overloaded.

All the above also assumes the axles are all in align and none are bent which of course introduces additional dynamic loading.

So as the title of this tread asks... "What is your Real Weights?"
40 years experience as tire Design & Quality engineer with focus on failed tire forensics.

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
Both forms are confusing and beyond what is needed. The numbers needed ONLY need to be the truck's GVWR and GCWR, the truck's "ready to travel weight", the trailer pin weight and the trailer GVW. That is all anyone needs to compute the actual weights for towing. Adding the RAWR and FAWR only confuses because those numbers are NOT what the manufacturer wants the consumer to use. Leave it at that and then the people wanting to know more can find that info AFTER they figure out their primary numbers.

IE:

GVWR = 9900# ............................... 9900#
truck ready to travel-7250# ............... -7250#
.............................# left to CARRY = 2650#
trailer pin weight=2160# ...................-2150#
........................# over/under GVWR = -500#

GCWR=21500# ................................21500#
truck ready to travel-7250# ................-7250#
............................. # left to TOW = 14250#
trailer GVW=14500# ........................-14500#
.........................# over/under GVWR = +250#

In this example the truck is carrying UNDER the GVWR but OVER the GCWR. It is that simple.

Frank.
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.