cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Convection Microwave to replace my original unit ??

jjonn11
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry is this has been asked/answered many times lately, but I was unable to get Search to work for me.

Presently, my 16 yr old GE Spacemaker XL1400 is fully functional.
Specs are: 30x16x14, Over Range, Microwave with under lighting and exterior exhaust. No Convection, no turntable, very basic.

Pondering an upgrade... (there I go, thinking again)...

My research leads me to the GE Profile Model PVM9179DKBB.
Specs are: 30x16x15.5, Over Range, Convection/Micro with under lighting, exterior exhaust, and turntable. Price: $500 !!

Anyone have experience with this unit in their RV ??
Any suggestions on a different unit ??

I do drag my 5er down some bumpy roads, so durability is important.
10 REPLIES 10

jjonn11
Explorer
Explorer
Anyway,

Bought PVM9179sfss from Home Depot.

Has issues, so price was adjusted. Final = $270 !!

Now, to contact GE for missing/defective items. Probably be a couple of weeks to resolve everything.

Personal note to Barney S:

See ya in 6 - 7 weeks at the Annex, John D

jjonn11
Explorer
Explorer
Huh ??

Site / Computer will not allow me to post a lengthy reply ???

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our Dometic with a GE Profile and did not have to change the mounting bracket. The cord was at a different place so we had to drill a new hole for the cord to go through the cabinet but that was it. The GE is a vast improvement over the Dom Eric of which we had 3 replaced under warranty. By the way, we have the European style stove top cover (think one big piece of glass) so we had to be careful that the cover would open with the new microwave in place and we had no problems.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
also, it will generate a lot more heat than the old one. I was in some B vans years back that had the microwave up top but if you got a conv./micro it had to be down below the counter for that reason.
bumpy

jjonn11
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, guys, for the required circuit info.

I'll have to check my breaker panel when I next open the slides.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Have a PVM9179DF1BB in our coach. Have a few things that DW does not like about the menu system, but for the most part it works well.
If you have been using convection, you need to cool it down before you can use the microwave. As in, hang the door open for a few minutes. We sometimes get "sensor errors" when reheating soup or other items with high moisture content. Not sure if it is endemic to all of that model, or just ours. Is not enough of a bother to take it down and send it in for repair.
DW wants to replace with Advantium, but that lists for about $1200 so will be a while.

EDIT: It is on a 20 amp circuit. Check your power/wiring.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure to check power specs between old and new. Convection usually means a separate heating element for baking, which means a lot more power needed. May mean an upgrade to your wiring also.....
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced ours with the same manufacturer's model of the same size only because it was less of a hassle to fit and mount. They were both Whirlpools but the new one is much quieter than the old one.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

jjonn11
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping that using the same manufacturer, the mounting would be the same. Haven't had time to call GE about this.

If it's different, then I get to practice my drilling/screwing skills. LOL

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced a very sorry Domestic convection/microwave with a Whirlpool Gold model. It has worked very well for us. Keep in mind the mounting system as it will probably be different from what you have. Mine was. Luckily I was able to make the new mounting bracket with the Whirlpool even more sturdy. I paid about $450 at Lowe's which included their 4 year extended warranty.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR