cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which fifth wheel

Capt_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to purchase a fifth wheel next spring, and the wife is looking at 2. She likes the Jayco Eagle 293RKDS and
Montana High Country 293RK. We have at trailer and are new to fifth wheels so any information or experience with either would be a help. Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Capt_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
We keep looking,still planning on waiting til spring unless a good deal comes up. I like the fact that the Jayco is 1500 - 2000lbs less weight. We had a jayco popup years ago with no problems. I have a F250 crew cab diesel on order so I should be ok there. I would like to stay below 35'(wife not so sure, lol). Thanks for all the information so far.

Drifter1959
Explorer
Explorer
What is your tow vehicle?

I'm a Jayco fan. I was considering a Montana version of our current 5er but the Jayco had a little more to offer as far as seating and ceiling height in the front living room.
Its like buying a house. Walk around, sit in every seat, check the kitchen flow, is the bathroom a workable room or just okay and make the choice.

No matter what you choose, be patient with your dealer and enjoy.

Camp On my friend.
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually 4X4, RAM Puck w/ Demco Hijacker 21K Autoslide, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4.10's, 51 Gal Midship Titan Fuel Tank.
Wagon: 2015 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jayhardy wrote:
There's a reason Montana's are the best sellers. On my second and now they are making them so light that you can by big with a smaller truck. Biggest advise I can give is buy as many slides as you can afford.

Most Montana's are pin heavy. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rthibodaux
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco gets my vote

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
To get light you have to cut weight ,there,s no free ride.Long term durability could suffer.THe mfgs use the cheapest materials they can get by with,not likely to use high quality steel or aluminum.

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
There's a reason Montana's are the best sellers. On my second and now they are making them so light that you can by big with a smaller truck. Biggest advise I can give is buy as many slides as you can afford.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Grand Design.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
Stay far away from any trailer that uses the Schwintek slide mechanism. You can tell that system by the horizontal, grooved tracks on the sides of the slides. They are nothing but trouble. Jayco uses that system a lot. My Voltage has Schwintek and I had my share of problems for the first year but they have been working OK since the bugs got worked out. Voltage has since quit using Schwintek.

On the other hand, many of us have Schwintek slides and have not had any issues with them...

As far as what to buy, you will get almost as many recommendations on the forum as there are RV brands. Unless you are going for a really high-end unit (DRV, Excel, Presidential, etc.), your best bet is to find one laid out and equipped the way you want (including insulation, double pane windows, underbelly heating, etc.), and buy from a dealer you trust and who will service/repair your unit. There are a few companies in the mid-price range who's customer service or warranties set them apart. Jayco is known for their two-year warranty and Grand Design is known for their customer service. Visit numerous shows and dealerships, look at and spend time in a lot of rigs, and read other forums such as the Escapees and RV-Dreams forums.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in to RV's you know that quality is not job one. Historically, the Montana has been the better of the two. But times change and so does quality. The Montana probably costs more, but I would go with it.
Big Bird 2

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Stay far away from any trailer that uses the Schwintek slide mechanism. You can tell that system by the horizontal, grooved tracks on the sides of the slides. They are nothing but trouble. Jayco uses that system a lot. My Voltage has Schwintek and I had my share of problems for the first year but they have been working OK since the bugs got worked out. Voltage has since quit using Schwintek.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE