cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which roadside assistance is best

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad

Which roadside assistance is best,   Goodsam or AAA.   I've been with Goodsam for many years but never had to use it.   

7 REPLIES 7

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer

If this is for a motor home just add emergency roadside assistance to your vehicle insurance. You will have to call someone for the tow or repair and pay for the service. You then submit the bill to your insurance company and get reimbursed. If you are towing a trailer you would have check with your agent to see if it would be covered. The cost is very reasonable.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad

The best roadside assistance is provided by yourself. Keep your vehicle maintained and at least one spare on hand. Get what you think you need to change a tire and do it in your driveway. Any tool you used, needs to go with you on your trip. Next prepare for damage that could occur with a blowout. Zip ties, and duct tape can help secure  anything torn loose. Some battery operated tools can make the process easier. I'm looking at a 5 tool Milwaukee 18v set at Home Depot for $350. Has an impact wrench, angle grinder, sawzall, drill and impact driver. That is a much better investment to me than a roadside plan.  

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad

I've had fantastic luck with CoachNet.  It proved its worth on a 5,000 mile road trip last summer laden with bad luck.  One tire, one air bag, and one hydraulic hose - all resolved to my satisfaction - especially considering the remote area in the middle of MT we were in when I needed the help.  I will say that a large part of that success has to do with the service providers as well.  In this event we had great people locally to work with. 

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

And FWIW, RSA doesn't cover much. At best they will cover your tow - within certain parameters, bring you a tire etc if you have a blowout, but you still have to pay for the tire and labor. That's when I decided the premium really covers very little and often doesn't put you in a position to come out ahead. Add to the fact you are constrained to only being able to use the shops that the RSA tells you you can, I just felt I wasn't getting much for my money. RSA companies run on a profit model just like insurance companies. So, it's really a losing bet that you will ever come out ahead. like I said in my previous post, the ability to call who I want to call and who will answer the phone without a lot of runaround from someone nowhere near my location, is well worth the cost I would pay out of pocket. Which by the way isn't really any more than an RSA premium. Armed with a cell phone I feel like I am far more equipped to call the correct local company for my needs than someone at a desk who likely does not RV and is not familiar with the area where I am and has a much smaller list of shops to pick from than I do. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Had Cachet for years.... 1st time ( last time) I used them was back in 2015 or so.. had a blow out on 695 going around Baltimore... had MANY calls with the service provider as they had no idea where I was... or where 695 was.....  5 hrs later... well, the next trip I made sure I had all I needed to make the change on the road myself.....   2016 I got my 1st RV with the 6 point system and that was the best way to make the swap....

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

I have had Coachnet years ago and it was ok. But RSA is like insurance, you pay and pay and often don't need it and when you do, just like insurance companies it's often not covered or a fight to get coverage, or there is no one in your network. I have resigned to saving my premium and funding RSA myself. You can call anyone local you want without worry they aren't in your network, and you get better service because they get paid right away and are more willing to help as a result. So, my RSA is my cell phone and a credit card. I've actually saved money over the past 10 years with this method. YMMV. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III

I am on the same situation as you - been with Goodsam for years without a claim. I was told that AAA is regional and if you leave that region it isn't good but I never confirmed that.