cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which tow rig?

Binkley2
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 40' fifth wheel toy hauler, triple slide. The dry weight is 14,050 lbs., I figure 1000 lbs. of gear, my motorcycle is about 950 lbs., hers is 650 lbs. We try to two with minimal onboard water and empty grey and black tanks. I currently have a 1996 Ford F-350 DRW with a 7.3 liter Powerstroke and auto trans. It gets the trailer where it needs to go, but it really struggles on the hills and starting off, plus it is really old and I worry about the reliability. Fortunately our favorite camp grounds are not very far away, but we want o start venturing further. So my question is this, who runs a trailer this size and weight and travels long distances with it and what tow rig do you use and how well does it do. I am looking to buy a new truck, but not sure what to buy. Do I really need to look at medium duty trucks like an F-650 or a Kodiak? The guy I bought it from pulled it with a Chevy 2500 with an 8.1 gas engine and said it handled it just fine. Not sure I really would go that route, but maybe the motor is preferable but in a DRW. Any experienced advice is welcomed.
2006 Forest River All American Sport
2007.5 Chevy Crew cab Duramax DRW
2011 Harley Davidson Roadglide Ultra
2007 Harley Davidson Deluxe
42 REPLIES 42

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Binkley2 wrote:
Clutching is much easier on the knees than climbing in and out of a tall rig, but all points well taken. I am not married to a brand anymore. The brand I was married to has let me down too many times, we had to divorce. I am glad to hear first hand experience on the auto. Does anyone know what year model the improved auto trans began being used in the Ram? In my household, the only one who gets brand new cars is momma. I get used. Thanks for all the help.

68RFE started with the 6.7 in 07.5. The Aisin started at the same time in the 4500/5500 trucks. 2013 the Aisin was offered with the 68RFE.

Be careful with the Aisin statement. RAM used 2 different Aisin transmissions, the AS68RC and the AS69RC. The AS68RC was weaker than the 68RFE. The AS69RC is the beef-supreme transmission to get. That transmission started being used in the 2013 3500 as an option. It remains as an option for the 3500 series trucks. I don't know when the AS69RC started being used in the chassis cab, but it wasn't until very recently. For my purposes, the AS69RC was overkill and I'm perfectly fine with the 68RFE. However, not everybody likes the way it shifts, so make sure you test drive both transmissions from RAM. The AS69RC is known to have a bit of a firm 2-->1 downshift as well.

As for the other transmissions, I think Ford's 6R140 is the toughest of the bunch. The Allison 1000 was the benchmark used when Ford engineered and built this transmission, and it shows. Of course, the Allison is well known among most truck enthusiasts out there.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Binkley2 wrote:
Clutching is much easier on the knees than climbing in and out of a tall rig, but all points well taken. I am not married to a brand anymore. The brand I was married to has let me down too many times, we had to divorce. I am glad to hear first hand experience on the auto. Does anyone know what year model the improved auto trans began being used in the Ram? In my household, the only one who gets brand new cars is momma. I get used. Thanks for all the help.

68RFE started with the 6.7 in 07.5. The Aisin started at the same time in the 4500/5500 trucks. 2013 the Aisin was offered with the 68RFE.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Binkley2 wrote:
Do I really need to look at medium duty trucks like an F-650 or a Kodiak?
Yes, but the 650 will ride like a shopping cart. If you have too much money lying around the Freightliner Sportchassis is a good rig. If you have time and want something really capable, get a Class 8 OTR tractor that's been rebuilt for large RV hauling.

Binkley2 wrote:
The guy I bought it from pulled it with a Chevy 2500 with an 8.1 gas engine and said it handled it just fine.
He's lying. There's a good chance he got rid of it because it was not handling fine.

Take a serious look at the late model 350/3500's they've been significantly beefed up compared to your '96 Ford. If you have unlimited funds go the the MDT and you'll have no worries for sure. But all three of the one ton DRW will handle your trailer. Just my two cents worth.

Dan

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Binkley2 wrote:

So my question is this, who runs a trailer this size and weight and travels long distances with it and what tow rig do you use and how well does it do.

Suggest you visit.....

Escapees MDT forum

and -

Escapees HDT forum

ALL these folks pull *heavy* (and loooong) 5ths!..:W

The HDT forum has a great resource guide - plus the knowledgeable folks there will answer questions.....and have always been honest in telling posters when (in their opinion) the person asking about a tow vehicle does *not* need an HDT.

On HDT forum, see the "Heavy Haulers Resource Guide" - lots of good info.
(On those forums a "sticky" is called "pinned".)

Also many HDTers have "worked their way up" through LDT, MDT to HDT.

Binkley2
Explorer
Explorer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Binkley2 wrote:
.Two bad knees make climbing in and out of the big rig a challenge that I can mange now, but will likely be a problem down the road when I get my freedom and can really use the rig.

Does anyone have any suggestions on manual vs automatic transmissions?
Bad knees, and you're considering a manual transmission??

X2

Today's autos are up to the job!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Binkley2 wrote:
.Two bad knees make climbing in and out of the big rig a challenge that I can mange now, but will likely be a problem down the road when I get my freedom and can really use the rig.

Does anyone have any suggestions on manual vs automatic transmissions?
Bad knees, and you're considering a manual transmission??
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Binkley2 wrote:
Definitely did not mean to offend any Dodge guys, my knowledge of the Dodge heavy duty is limited to the older units. I know the Cummins is an awesome pulling motor, but from what I have seen the truck wasn't as tough as the motor in it. I have a neighbor who has a diesel performance shop and he agrees, for out of the box performance, Dodge is the way to go, he says if you want to spend a little (figuratively I'm sure)money, the new Chevy's are monsters once "tuned up". I think I will look at Dodge Cummins with a manual tranny, and dually of course. Thanks everyone.

What is nice about the new RAM's they are ready to right out of the box. No tuner or beefed up trans required like past years. I would really consider the Aisin Medium Duty Trans.

X2! Do not even think about a manual tranny! With manual tranny engine is de rated to only 600 lbs. Torque! Either the 68 RE or Aisin will do the job. The six speed Asin is bullet proof, and is a 4500 / 5500 class tranny. As stated the Dodge is right out of the boxsetup to tow what you have and a lot more! Yes you can spend money on after market gizmos for the other two, but what does that do to the warrenty? Dodge has come a long way since perhaps you remember! Test drive a new RAM 3500 Big Horn it is every bit as comfortable as either the Ford or Chevy. I do not want to turn this into a Ford vs Chevy vs RAM discussion, the big 3 have all beefed up their trucks and anyone of them will tow your rig with no problems, I just wanted to give my opinion so you do not dismiss the Dodge out of hand from old and or misleading information!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Binkley2 wrote:
Definitely did not mean to offend any Dodge guys, my knowledge of the Dodge heavy duty is limited to the older units. I know the Cummins is an awesome pulling motor, but from what I have seen the truck wasn't as tough as the motor in it. I have a neighbor who has a diesel performance shop and he agrees, for out of the box performance, Dodge is the way to go, he says if you want to spend a little (figuratively I'm sure)money, the new Chevy's are monsters once "tuned up". I think I will look at Dodge Cummins with a manual tranny, and dually of course. Thanks everyone.

What is nice about the new RAM's they are ready to right out of the box. No tuner or beefed up trans required like past years. I would really consider the Aisin Medium Duty Trans.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
With a manual tranny you may have reduced tow specs. Check the ratings closely.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Binkley2
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is fact take it for what it's worth. The Cummins Engine and Aisin transmission are both true Medium Duty components of the RAM truck that is independently rated to tow about 28.5K (3500 crew dually 4x4) by SAE J2807 standards. Meaning they back up their claims not just add numbers.

I tow 29K combined with my 11 RAM Dually and i can tell you it's rock solid in all weather and lane change conditions. Test drive all three. There is a reason RAM is taking market share every month in the HD pickup market. Look at the "independent" guys using their trucks to haul RV's and cars. Most are RAM's and GM's very few Fords anymore.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
Binkley2 wrote:
I recently purchased a 40' fifth wheel toy hauler, triple slide. The guy I bought it from pulled it with a Chevy 2500 with an 8.1 gas engine and said it handled it just fine.

I'd definitely be looking in the 550 or MDT range...but that's just me and my wife often says I'm also full of baloney...

Yea it handled it just fine idling thru the campground!

I see rigs just like that laying on their side all the time along I-10 in the Palm Springs area. Nice gust of wind and it's all over with.

Binkley2
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, a lot of information in no time at all. Thanks everyone for all the facts and opinions. I seem to have an ailment that only allows me to buy the largest version of everything I buy. My guy genes wants the big rig tow vehicle, but I really need to stay with the smaller truck. Two bad knees make climbing in and out of the big rig a challenge that I can mange now, but will likely be a problem down the road when I get my freedom and can really use the rig. I think the F-350/450, 3500/4500 may be the right way to go. I pulled one this size and approximate weight in the past with a Dodge 3500 and was impressed with how well it pulled, just not a big Dodge fan. I guess it is time to go shopping. Does anyone have any suggestions on manual vs automatic transmissions? I know in my Ford the tranny is the weakest link, and I have heard the same about Dodge. The Allison is a great transmission but you would have to come out of retirement to rebuild one if it failed. I have been thinking about buying a manual behind a diesel, but was wondering if there are problems associated with pulling a rig this big/ heavy.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Want some very good info on all things related to a HDT check out this site, it is his business but still lots of info. http://www.rvhaulers.ca/
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.