cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who doesn't haul big toys?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
As a family who fulltimes, we bought a toy hauler for the empty slate garage to turn it into a bedroom but more importantly for the cargo carrying capacity of the camper (after our frame buckled on our bunkhouse).

Am I the only one whose toys aren't golf carts, UTVs, or motorcycles and instead are boardgames, LEGOs, and books? ๐Ÿ˜„

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
21 REPLIES 21

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
As a family who fulltimes, we bought a toy hauler for the empty slate garage to turn it into a bedroom but more importantly for the cargo carrying capacity of the camper (after our frame buckled on our bunkhouse).

Am I the only one whose toys aren't golf carts, UTVs, or motorcycles and instead are boardgames, LEGOs, and books? ๐Ÿ˜„

I would say half of our trips are toyless other than a few bicycles. We will usually convert the garage into a spare room for the kids. The versatility of a toyhauler is one of the things that we love. I can carry dirtbikes, golf cart, or whatever. I have even hauled furniture in mine when my in laws moved to Orlando.
2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
PhilipB wrote:

Stopped at Purina Farms near St. Louis a year ago for a visit. We were directed to camping area because they thought we were there for dog show. Saw lots of toy haulers being used as kennels.

So funny! I wrote my reply and then read the comments and saw this right above mine! Small world, we were there!
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
We (My wife and I, no kids) only have two dirt bikes but we do have 5 dogs. Our Toy Hauler is a rolling kennel more than anything. We take it to dog shows around the country but on trips where we plan to ride Motocross the bikes just go in the back of the truck.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with JAC1982 on the drawbacks of living room space and high cabinets. We haul toys, then usually put up a table when parked. We try to keep toy area clean and so far have avoided any gas/oil leaks. Onboard generator is also nice since we spend about 8 weekends at dirt bike races.

Stopped at Purina Farms near St. Louis a year ago for a visit. We were directed to camping area because they thought we were there for dog show. Saw lots of toy haulers being used as kennels.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought a toyhauler would be great for fulltiming because of its versatility. The only disadvantage is usually you lose out on kitchen/living space because of the space used for the garage. But you sure can store a lot of stuff back there. Even when we go on long trips with/without the RZR, we leave the RZR outside and I set up a table in there to store all our food within easy reach because the cabinets in the kitchen are too high (I'm 5'3"). We've also put the back deck down and used that as our "living room" with our dogs... it's very easy to clean the garage out... just go at it with a leaf blower.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not the only one I'm sure, but I'm thinking more people would lean toward bunkhouse models instead.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice!
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat