cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who has been refilling 1 lb propane tanks?

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
We've a table top grill and a Big Buddy that we use periodically. Don't want to lug around a BBQ tank (or a shorter version either), and the costs of the little guys is getting too high for my budget - close to $7 a pair lately. I've seen the adapters to refill them, but haven't tried it yet. Anyone want to share their experiences doing so?
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.
36 REPLIES 36

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
My Coleman lantern uses 1 lbs cylinders. I found it to be really hard to carry around when I hooked it to 20 lbs tanks or the quick disconnect on my trailer.

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
I've been refilling 1 pounders for years with no problem. Now there is a certified refillable 1 pound bottle made by Flame King including a refill kit. I like playing with pressurized liquids/gas (former/retired anhydrous ammonia hauler)!
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allworth wrote:
I am talking about the quick connect fitting that came from the factory pre-plumbed into the system. Conveniently located on the passenger's side, just in front of the entry door, and LOW pressure.
Don't know if those come on 5th wheels.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am talking about the quick connect fitting that came from the factory pre-plumbed into the system. Conveniently located on the passenger's side, just in front of the entry door, and LOW pressure.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allworth wrote:
The quick connect, when it is available, is almost always on the low pressure side of the trailer's switch-over regulator..
Connect directly to a tank.

redsb3
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, dedicated camping stores (like Campmor in NJ) used to sell 1 lb propane bottles specifically made to be refilled. It has a small bleeder screw on the top in place of the Schrader type valve. I have a couple of them and still use them occasionally. I got a 4lb Worthington tank for my Baby Q one time when Camping World had them on sale. I can go all summer with one fill and much more convenient.
2005 GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB with 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2002 Automate 5W, 32 ft, 13,280 GVWR
Valley Glider Hitch

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not so simple as some seem to think!

The quick connect, when it is available, is almost always on the low pressure side of the trailer's switch-over regulator.

The little grills that use the one pound cylinders almost all have a pressure regulator integral to the flame control knob.

Low pressure from the trailer fed into a pressure reducing regulator on the grill equals NO pressure at the burner. It just doesn't work.

Modification is possible, but you cannot just pull one off the shelf and expect it to work.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
$7 a pair is out of your budget? You can get a hose and connect directly to a bigger tank which may not be out of your budget. Saves you the fooling around trying to fill them.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
missnmountains wrote:
We filled them for years. Freeze the can. Hook up to 20 pound tank and turn upside down. Works perfectly.

We just purchased a hose that hooks the 20 pound tank to the coleman.

I have not tried it yet as we are using up the 1 pound tanks.

Ken

X2

Now that I have a Class B, I just hook the grill to the propane connection on the RV.

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
mbrower wrote:
I did not want to lug around extra bottles with me, so I made a trip to the local gas log propane dealer and bought a fitting to run an extra propane line to a flexible propane hose with a quick disconnect on it. To grill, I just pull the hose out and connect to my grill. Easy and simple and only took a couple of hours to do.

My '04 Komfort, and most newer RVs, seem to have quick disconnects already plumbed in. Just buy a hose and connect to your grill. :h

Lyle

Not my 2013 Wildcat.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
mbrower wrote:
I did not want to lug around extra bottles with me, so I made a trip to the local gas log propane dealer and bought a fitting to run an extra propane line to a flexible propane hose with a quick disconnect on it. To grill, I just pull the hose out and connect to my grill. Easy and simple and only took a couple of hours to do.

My '04 Komfort, and most newer RVs, seem to have quick disconnects already plumbed in. Just buy a hose and connect to your grill. :h

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it's easy. Some people fill after putting in the freezer. Work ok but refills to about 80% of new bottle. Need to weigh a empty bottle than add 16.4 oz to get the weight of a full bottle. Never over fill. Another way so take a small forcept and pull the over flow valve until you get liquid coming out while filling. Alway weigh the bottle.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
done it for years very easy, but now i just plug BBQ into quick connect on the fifth wheel easy peasy
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog