cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why 4 X 4

Usnthedog
Explorer
Explorer
Every place you look, every dealer it's all 4 X 4's. I have a 4 X 4 and never use it. Why is it so popular? Is there anyone out there that has a 2 X 4 and is unhappy with the truck? How about with a 4 X 4? My first 2 trucks I bought off the lot hence the 4 X 4. I'm looking to order and almost feel ashamed to consider a 2 X 4. I pull a 12,000# 5th wheel. No mud holes and backroads. Thanks.

And diesel, but that is another post.
99 REPLIES 99

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
As someone already mentioned a lot of us pull things besides trailers.

I tow a couple of boats and every now and then at low tide 4X4 is your friend on the ramp.

After living in the woods at elevation in the PNW all of our rigs have 4WD, you only need it when you need it even if it's for a couple of days
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
If you know you don't need it, and you are ordering anyway, just get the 4x2. I'm a big fan of ordering vehicles exactly how I want them built.

I would not want a truck without 4WD, and I use it. As recently as this weekend to get into our boondocking site. Only a half mile from paved road, so not exactly way out there, and a super popular area near Mammoth CA.

It makes me a little sad to hear folks who have lived a life and a half and never needed 4x4. You have missed out on so much of our beautiful country. But then I cheer up, and say whatever makes you happy is fine by me, and less crowds for me to deal with. Getting away from crowds is my biggest motivation for camping anyway.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I retired from law enforcement and HAD to get to work. If I only pulled trailers during the summer, on dry level ground, I own property that is all steep hills, if I want to get to the top of the hills, I need 4x4. My truck is my daily driver.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
At our annual family boondocker about 10 years ago, we ended up in a bit of a low spot and we got a lot of rain that year. The soil in the area has a high content of volcanic clay, so gets =real= slippery. I started to leave and was in a rut about 4-6" deep, but couldn't move. Took TWO more 4wd trucks to pull me out. At no time was I "buried" deeper than the edge of the rims; just zero traction.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Great exaggeration going on here.

"My (4x2) truck isn't 10 feet in the air"

Specs for the 2018 Chevy 2500

Height, Overall (2WD) 77.80 in.
Height, Overall (4WD) 77.76 in.

"It's a macho thing....oh I may get stuck on a wet leaf, so I need 4x4"

Try a grassy slope after the rain. 4x4 traction, yes, no macho needed.

But as MitchF150 posted, do what YOU want. Get a dealer that wants to work with you, not just sell what they have on the lot.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simply stated, we need a 4x4 truck as we prefer boondocking and dry camping when out in the RV. Just last weekend we would not have been able to get in, and more importantly, back out without 4x4 due to recent rains. If you don't do any RVing off the beaten path and are not concerned by resale value go for a 4x2 tow vehicle. We only use 4x4 a handful of times per year, but it sure feels great knowing we have the capabilities available should the need arise.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"** I think Cummins12V98 has a good picture of wheels and tires that were down DEEP in mud.. I believe that 4x4 may have helped there just a bit ! "

YES the red truck was completely down off the boat ramp all four tires in the sand/gravel to get it launched in a big minus tide. 4 low popped right out!

Scarry part was I had never tried the 4wd when I recently bought it. :E
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I have only HAD TO use mine a couple of times in its 14 years. But, those times would have been a real PITA to get my truck out. For me, as noted by others, the real benefit is 4LO when backing the trailer into my driveway for storage. I have to go over a curb and through an equestrian trail to get a straight shot. With 4LO, it just slowly creeps over everything effortlessly. Maneuvering at slow speeds is the worst condition for transmission heat (limited air flow) -especially if you're revving the engine to get up an incline. Your TC is generating a lot of heat in that scenario.

I feel it's better to have 4WD and not need it than to need it and not have it.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I just backed a pontoon boat up my sandy ish slope driveway in low range at idle. One foot on the brake and just concentrate on the mirrors. But it is a Cummins which we already know is the best.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Learjet wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
3/4 or 1 ton trucks make lousy off road vehicles.

With the 5th wheel weight on the rear axle a limited slip will get you a heck of a lot of traction.

About the only minor advantage is low range acting as a creeper gear getting into steep sites.

Grew up in Michigan winters, never had an issue with 4x2 trucks getting stuck but riding in on winter days, it was typically the 4x4 trucks in the ditch because they believed in the myth.

If you are just amusing your ego, you can buy 4x4 stickers for a lot less than an actual 4x4.

What about slippery boat ramps?????

Yup, I've noticed more than one that wished he had 4x4, when unable to pull his boat up the ramp.

Great example LJ

Jerry

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 4X4 for backing into forest service campsites on the small gravel they use as much as anything else. Even back a boat trailer into those is all but impossible with rear wheel drive only.

I've had 2WD trucks hung up in a flat yard with a heavy dew on the grass.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

With the 5th wheel weight on the rear axle a limited slip will get you a heck of a lot of traction.

About the only minor advantage is low range acting as a creeper gear getting into steep sites.

Grew up in Michigan winters, never had an issue with 4x2 trucks getting stuck but riding in on winter days, it was typically the 4x4 trucks in the ditch because they believed in the myth.

If you are just amusing your ego, you can buy 4x4 stickers for a lot less than an actual 4x4.

What about slippery boat ramps?????
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
I've had both 2X4 and 4X4 trucks. When I had a 2X4 trucks there were a few times I wished they were 4X4. Just needed that extra 2 wheels on wet muddy surfaces or snow. But when I've had 4X4 I've never wished any of them were 2X4.
When you get to wherever you're going if you have a 2X4 then you still have a 2X4. We like to do some off roads. Can't go to some of the places we've been in a 2X4. So we actually use the 4X4 for more than just pulling our 5er. You're not going to go to Mosquito Pass in a 2X4.
It's not a 'macho thing' as another has stated.
Camped in every state

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 4 x 4 you might never need it. Get a 4 x 2 and there might be a few times you need it. The cost vs. resale thing pretty much covers the cost vs. resale on a 2wd. Maintenance wise the 4wd are pretty reliable.

What floats your boat?