cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why do I clean before we camp?

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
I dunno, maybe I have issues. I for some reason go about the 3 day task of cleaning, everything we bring. Its all dirty, covered in dust or sand. I roll a perfectly detailed Rhino off the ramp onto the desert where it attracts dust. The truck is perfectly perfect. The hauler is washed, vacuumed, wiped down and I lube the door latch. I kill myself doing all this so our stuff looks well taken care of, it's important that I portray a sense that I'm a respectable adult.

In the time we are camping everything reverts back to something out of a " Mad Max Movie ".....

Guess what I will do before we go camping again..... ๐Ÿ™‚

Help me......:(
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

20 REPLIES 20

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
Ha! I'm the same way! The truck, trailer, and all the toys get a thorough cleaning before heading out on a trip and everything comes back absolutely filthy to start the process all over again. It's a pride thing for me, too, and I also use it as a chance to inspect all of the equipment and make notes of what needs attention.

Our last trip out I was carrying a friend's parents in my rig to go firewood gathering up a decently rough 4wd road. They were shocked when I pulled off the pavement onto the road we were heading up, thinking it wasn't a road at all (they've never done any offroading before). My friend's mom asked me what about my nice, clean truck, and I told her it all cleans up and the whole point of buying the truck is to have fun with it.
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
gbopp wrote:
It's definitely a sense of pride. You want your equipment to look good.
Plus, when you meticulously clean your equipment you're also inspecting it. You notice anything worn, cracked, broken, missing, etc. and can take corrective action.
Don't worry, you're normal. ๐Ÿ™‚

Honest truth for sure, thanks.

I've learned to tone it down. Wash the trailer exterior when it gets REALLY dirty, the DW keeps the inside spotless before/after trips. Now the dirtbike..........That is washed EVERY trip so it's clean for the next time; learned to do that as a kid from Dad as part of PM after every race, amazing what you find while washing your toys.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I am not ocd about it at ALL. (See what I did there?) But I do wash the van before I leave because I think it gets me a better reception at rv parks. Same reason I put on a clean shirt before running errands.

I left the house messy one. I sure regretted that when I cane back tired and with months of yard work to catch up on!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
We all do it over and over again the good thing is, I've come across like loose cabinets hinges ans faucet fixtures that are loose among many other small things as I'm cleaning the rig same thing when I clean the bikes.

Me too, gotta stay on top of it or face failure of something. Clean is good, stuff lasts longer, works better and looks like you care about your investments.

Our rig and truck are 12 years old, rhino is 9 years old. You'd never know it and I'm proud of that. I work hard on it.
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
We all do it over and over again the good thing is, I've come across like loose cabinets hinges ans faucet fixtures that are loose among many other small things as I'm cleaning the rig same thing when I clean the bikes.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
It's definitely a sense of pride. You want your equipment to look good.
Plus, when you meticulously clean your equipment you're also inspecting it. You notice anything worn, cracked, broken, missing, etc. and can take corrective action.
Don't worry, you're normal. ๐Ÿ™‚

Honest truth for sure, thanks.

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
offtohavasu wrote:
On the other end of things, my wife details the house before we leave on vacation, of course as I'm trying to get us all out of the door. One time I asked her, "You want the burgs to know we have a clean house?" Of course I got the roll of the eyes.

As a former CSI we appreciate the clean house cuz it is easy to tell what has been messed with. Keep up the good work! May you never need a clean house for that purpose!
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
I'm the same, detail both the fiver and the truck before we leave. I think it's a sense of pride. My wife said she doesn't understand why I do this when they are just going to get dirty while camping.

Exactly what my wife says to me! I do the same thing. I always look clean going, not so much coming home.
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
The toys, I only clean before I have to work on them, I hate working on dirty stuff. That usually means I clean them when I get back so I can fix all the stuff that broke during a trip (really mostly just to service tehm). The MH I do clean the outside before a trip, the inside gets done right after, usually before we leave camp and then the final cleaning as we clear out all the stuff from the trip.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

offtohavasu
Explorer
Explorer
On the other end of things, my wife details the house before we leave on vacation, of course as I'm trying to get us all out of the door. One time I asked her, "You want the burgs to know we have a clean house?" Of course I got the roll of the eyes.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
I do the same, OCD kicks in and I have to everything a certain way every time. When we get back first thing we do it wash and clean everything. We use the **** out of our trailer. We have it hammered at the beach when we have beach functions and friend plus family come over, next day is spotless like nothing ever happend. I enjoy detailing my stuff plus you know where every lil thing is that need fix or attention. If I don't clean it before a trip it feels like it's not loaded right or I'm missing something, never feels the same.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Maybe you could clean when you get home?
Yep, the next day after a trip is the day to clean and maintenance the bikes and camper. That way they're ready for the next trip.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
nothing wrong with you, and I,d bet you don,t have meny break downs, good care of our toys is important.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We did the same thing in the army. Go out to the field and before we could shower, eat, or hit the latrine, all 9ur equipment had to be GI cleaned and inspected. WHY? because our equipment had to be combat ready all the time. Dirty equipment meant failing equipment. Same is true with your camper. Always keep it camping ready.