cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will it be difficult to find a reliable 5er on a 20K budget

GBEngineer
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 5er several years ago but sold it due to a move. I am interested in getting another one. I still have my tow vehicle, 2004 Silverado 3500 diesel, that I plan to use. I can afford to spend around 20K. I would like something in the 27-32 foot range. I don't need something really nice but want something as reliable as I can get.

I would appreciate any advice on what brands or models have a good reputation for being reliable in my price range. I would also be like to hear from others that have searched for a purchased a used 5er, how was your experience and any advice you can offer.

Thanks for any help.
2004.5 Siverado 3500 DRW Duramax LLY
2001 Cougar 276 EFS (Sold, trying to figure out what to replace it with)
25 REPLIES 25

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Three years ago I bought an 02 Cross Roads 5er and I checked that everything worked before buying. We put 7500 mi on it in one trip to the PNW and it performed flawlessly. But I also did pre trip preventive maintenance, brakes, bearings, shocks and tires. We sold it and upgraded in size to an 05 Mountaineer. Notice I said I did the maintenance not a shop so the cost was much less than if you're needing a shop to do those things.
There are nice older units out there at decent prices, you just need to be patient and stay away from dealers. I've found that some like to tack $1000 to the sale price of used units for clean up. I've never bought an RV from a dealer always private individuals. Some will scoff at the following but my RV purchases have all been under $9,000 each. That's including a truck camper, TT, and 2 5er's.
In 60 years of driving I've bought less than a dozen vehicles bought from dealerships I hate paying inflated prices

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Heck yeah, I think the $5 gas that is coming will change the market.

$5 a gallon diesel, actually $5.15 in New York back in 2008 didnโ€™t slow us down and the roads were full of RVโ€™s.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
GBEngineer wrote:
I owned a 5er several years ago but sold it due to a move. I am interested in getting another one. I still have my tow vehicle, 2004 Silverado 3500 diesel, that I plan to use. I can afford to spend around 20K. I would like something in the 27-32 foot range. I don't need something really nice but want something as reliable as I can get.

I would appreciate any advice on what brands or models have a good reputation for being reliable in my price range. I would also be like to hear from others that have searched for a purchased a used 5er, how was your experience and any advice you can offer.

Thanks for any help.

Which ever 5th wheel you are looking at buying take it to a Good RV shop to have it completely checked out to make sure you know all the systems are working and if any repairs are needed. $200 to $300 could be well worth it. It will also give some peace of mind.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

Actually as a full timer I would be ok with that trade-off. Trying to book popular parks now exactly 6 months in advance and having to take a shot at exactly 8am and having everything fill immediately as a bunch of us are competing for those few available spots and not getting them is getting old.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
As noted, look at the older higher end 5ers. The new ones are junk compared to the older ones.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

Heard a 1 line headline on Fox Biz Channel yesterday that oil "could " reach $100.00/barrel.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:

X2!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of older high end 5ers to choose from. Alpenlite, Carriage, Nu Wa, Mobile Suite for starters.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
BB_TX wrote:
Lots of older 5ers are still in great condition. Just a matter of finding one and carefully inspecting it.

I agree. Remember that water leaks are the death of 5ers. However, a lot of people purchased RV to camp the summer of 2020 due to the Covid so the 2020 market for RVs was very HOT in 2020. In a few years when non-RV travel is back to normal one may not be able to give away a used RV as the 2020 RVers get rid of no longer needed RVs
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of older 5ers are still in great condition. Just a matter of finding one and carefully inspecting it. I have a 2007 34โ€™ Montana that is lightly used for its age and in very good condition. Someone will get a very good trailer a few thousand below $20k when I get ready to sell. Which may be in the near future since our travel has been severely curtailed by other factors.