cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Young FW full timer needs a new rig 4 months out

steadypraying42
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm stationed at Fort Lewis and I just entered the full time lifestyle, and what a bumpy road it has been. First off, I believe I purchased the wrong rv (2015 Keystone Hideout 308bhds) to start full timing. Two slideouts, not nearly enough storage and not an ounce of insulation I know this is going to be a rough winter. So next year this time I am planning to trade this one in and go for a front living room arrangement. I'm looking at Wana rvs in Indiana for my next purchase. Unfortunately, they do not accept new rvs as trades.

I'm just stressed out. DW doesn't like that the dogs are under her feet all the time, the kitchen is right across from the ONE sofa we have, the air conditioner feels like it's blowing out heat, and the no space among other things! We love the full time lifestyle, just chose the wrong fifth wheel.

Any of you fine ladies and gents know of any rv wholesale dealers that will accept a new trade? Once again, the army doesn't pay me to enjoy life so I am not looking for anything too pricey. We have a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW longbox with ALL of the bells and whistles, max tow 29,500.
Active Duty Army (Fulltiming)
1 YR Old English Mastiff
2 YR Old German Shepherd
2015 Ram 3500 SRW
Aisin Transmission, factory air ride suspension
2015 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS (SOLD)
2016 Voltage Triton 3451 TH

"IN TRUTH LIES VICTORY"
28 REPLIES 28

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Just to add a couple more comments. Please tap into the wide variety of folks out there and their knowledge. They, we, us are more than willing to assist in any aspect we can. For me and I am sure I speak for many more, we are glad to help and will be even more glad to throw in our two cents, and even a buck if in person and can help out. So with that, enjoy, you work hard for what you have and want, so enjoy it to the fullest. See ya on the road sometime. Good Luck U Be Safe! ! !

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Just one comment. I will never own an RV where the main seating is at a 90 deg angle to the TV. While I don't watch a lot of TV if full-timing you catch the news, a few (or many) programs, plus specials. My TV in the S&B is facing the recliners and same in the RV.

My current RV has it's shortcomings (no dedicated living area, small kitchen) but I can access the bed, bathroom, and fridge without moving any slides. That makes a difference when traveling and want to take short stop.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

steadypraying42
Explorer
Explorer
miboje wrote:
So have you done your research now? It's easy to make mistakes by being in a hurry and/or not fully doing research. I'm sure we've all been there in some way! The picking of the camper is up to me. I left the picking of the truck up to my husband, and while we did end up with a turbo diesel truck, I later discovered that it's got a very poor safety rating. He didn't do all his research! He was in the dog house for quite a while over that.

This decision seems to have been made quickly. Others have suggested going to a few RV shows, and I HIGHLY recommend that. While the Momentum is a very nice unit indeed, have you *really* considered all your options? Have you gone and looked in person? It's one thing to see stuff online, but it could feel very different in person. On the Momentum 385th, do you guys cook a lot? There isn't a lot of countertop space. How do you feel about having an island basically in the middle of the kitchen? Does that restrict traffic flow for times when the dogs are in the RV with you? You said the army doesn't pay you to enjoy life, so are you sure you really want to blow this kind of money on a depreciating asset? What if you decide to come back off the road sooner than you thought and need to sell? It will be a big loss because you've bought new. The "full time pros" suggest that your first and second full time RV is purchased used until you have lived the life and know better what you want/need. That is very sage advice, and they should know.

Thank you very much ma'am for your advice. However, yes I believe I have invested time this go around into the next rig. I originally posted this thread back in July and ever since then I have been going to show after show searching and searching. We went from the Raptor 415TS to the Cyclone 4150 and 4200 then we saw the momentum. After we found the Floorplan we liked the most we went in depth. Researching everything about the rig.

We love the rv lifestyle. Yes, it was done way prematurely but as time went on we learned more and more. And hopefully with you fine folks lending a helping hand we can learn even more. One big thing we are doing now though is buying USED!
1 YR Old English Mastiff
2 YR Old German Shepherd
2015 Ram 3500 SRW

"IN TRUTH LIES VICTORY"

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
So have you done your research now? It's easy to make mistakes by being in a hurry and/or not fully doing research. I'm sure we've all been there in some way! The picking of the camper is up to me. I left the picking of the truck up to my husband, and while we did end up with a turbo diesel truck, I later discovered that it's got a very poor safety rating. He didn't do all his research! He was in the dog house for quite a while over that.

This decision seems to have been made quickly. Others have suggested going to a few RV shows, and I HIGHLY recommend that. While the Momentum is a very nice unit indeed, have you *really* considered all your options? Have you gone and looked in person? It's one thing to see stuff online, but it could feel very different in person. On the Momentum 385th, do you guys cook a lot? There isn't a lot of countertop space. How do you feel about having an island basically in the middle of the kitchen? Does that restrict traffic flow for times when the dogs are in the RV with you? You said the army doesn't pay you to enjoy life, so are you sure you really want to blow this kind of money on a depreciating asset? What if you decide to come back off the road sooner than you thought and need to sell? It will be a big loss because you've bought new. The "full time pros" suggest that your first and second full time RV is purchased used until you have lived the life and know better what you want/need. That is very sage advice, and they should know.

steadypraying42
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your guidance. I do appreciate it. Wr definitely did not do our research when we first jumped into it. So many mistakes were made its crazy. I bought two gassers before I realized I needed a diesel - don't even get me started on that one. Haha! We have found the rv we like. It's the Grand Design Momentum 385TH. And yes, we will be using the garage for our fur-babies. Our keystone is not rated at AL for full time use let alone a couple weeks during the year lol!
1 YR Old English Mastiff
2 YR Old German Shepherd
2015 Ram 3500 SRW

"IN TRUTH LIES VICTORY"

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
If you are trading it in next year, then would it still be considered new for trade in purposes?

What's your budget on this? Or what price will you consider?

I can tell you that there are numerous used high end, better insulated (they really can only fit so much insulation in there)full timer-friendly fifth wheels out there that far exceed your Keystone product in build, fit and finish, room, etc. To name a few: Mobile Suites (any year), Dutchmen Grand Junction (2009, or better yet a 2010+ w/ Arctic pkg.), 2000+ Newmar "Aire" products (NOT Cypress or "Stars"),09+ KZ Escalade. There are more, that's just a short list. It has taken me quite a bit of time to compile data to create a list of older, better built RVs to choose from, primarily based on suitable insulation. That is what I suggest you and your wife do. Good luck to you.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
We too thank you for our freedom. with that, we too made bad choice with our first fifth wheel, insulation and usability. so with that said, my two cents worth is to deal with the unit while you look around as it is what it is. put it up for sale if you can and don't get discouraged by low offers on your unit. Not that i am a big fan of RV shows and pressure sales, but that is a good place to look at a multitude of units side by side. Sit on the toilet, act like you are shaving and washing up, get in the shower and move around, go through the kitchen area and go through the motions as though you are living in it. These things will or should give you some perspective on the usability of the unit. Make sure you have the insulation package that will deal with the cold, it will also help with the heat. Like said in earlier post, go with the floor plan you like, bit the bullet and do what you got to do. We took a loss on ours as we traded only after 5 weeks, sick to my stomach for not doing a better job of pre-checking usability and other misc. items. Again, don't get discouraged. Take your time, find an RV rally near by and go talk to people that are there, not sales people, real users both part and full time. As my dad told me, a few thousand dollars of loss will be added to your experience and then move on. Private Message me if you like as i can give you more of my thoughts opinions etc. We chose a Grand Design 303 RLS and just love it. Good Luck & Be Safe! ! !

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
Undertaking full timing really calls for a significant amount of research.
Is the Keystone rated for full time use? If you are going to full time, that is where I'd look. I don't see any mention of insulation values for the Hideout on the Keystone web site, but that is something you need to know.
I have done a lot of research of older fifth wheels, and there are some that do stand a bit ahead of the rest in insulation. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably look at older, higher end, full-time rated fifth wheels. Maybe around '03-'06. Find the style of floor plan you like. There are many. Maybe with dogs, you'll want to consider toy haulers. Find the brochures for what suits you, and read through to find the insulation ratings. Some manufacturers put in two layers of fiberglass vs. one layer, and some added reflective foil insulation. Only a few used all foam insulation. Heartland does now, but not sure when they started. This gets complicated. I'd head on over to the RVdreams and Escapees forums and start there.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I have said it before, and I will say it again, "FLOORPLAN"! It is like real estate, "location". Before you purchase you need to be able to imagine how you are going to use your RV, and will the FLOORPLAN fit YOUR NEEDS! What may seem a minor inconvenience now will soon become a major problem. We have all gone thru it, perhaps on your next purchase you will use a critical eye to find a RV that will fit your needs. Take your time research and try and put yourself in positions you will find yourself in before purchasing. Good luck!

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
re: a/c blowing heat ... do you have the heat strips in your a/c? It just might be blowing heat by design?
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
I hope that the remodel will work out for you and I'm sure it will save you some money. Be sure to post up some pictures of your remodel, we all love pictures. 😄

Thank you for your service.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

steadypraying42
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy everyone,

With the little bit of free time the Army allows me to have I decided to remodel. (Thanks for the advice!) It was definitely the cheaper choice. I took out the dinette first, naturally. I am now in the process of painting the main section of the rig. Taking forever, but already well worth it. Thanks again.
1 YR Old English Mastiff
2 YR Old German Shepherd
2015 Ram 3500 SRW

"IN TRUTH LIES VICTORY"

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
CarlT100 wrote:
steadypraying426 wrote:
Thanks Don for letting me know, tried to find delete button but to no avail on my phone.

And Jim, thank you for your advice. We were hesitant to remodel because we thought once we did finally trade it in that will negatively effect us.

You are going to take a big loss anyway. If it were me, I would remodel.

Thank you for your service to our nation.

Remodel and/or add: second A/C and a screen room or summer.

Visit the Escapees forums for LOTS of *full-timers*, young & old, active & retired military.
Lots of "been there done that" RVing experiences, advice, opinions.

Escapees Discussion Forums

MANY forums, including - *Veterans* - "A place for Vets and ACTIVE military to meet and talk"

BTW - duplicate posts (more than one forum) usually not a problem..;)

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
Ft. Lewis is in Washington state about nine miles southwest of Tacoma.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus