cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Affordable Care Act And Snowbirds

Explorer II
Explorer II
I stumbled across this on Yahoo this morning and thought I would share.
The multistate dweller aspect never crossed my mind until I read this. Details yet to come.

Please don't let this become a political red vs. blue bashing thread, just posting information some may find interesting or informative:

You need to enroll in the โ€˜rightโ€™ state

Each state will have a health-insurance marketplace, and people must sign up for insurance in the state of their primary residence. Plans will include coverage for any emergencies that happen when youโ€™re traveling out-of-state.

Snowbirds who split their time between states will likely have multistate plans to choose from on the marketplaces. Details for these plans will become available later this month, when the Office of Personnel Management announces the contracts, according to a spokesperson. Some may be regional plans that cover a large metropolitan area that crosses state boundaries. But itโ€™s possible that a given multistate plan may not meet the needs of someone who spends, say, half the year in New York and the other half in Florida.

Currently, some snowbirds are served by whatโ€™s known as a โ€œwraparound network,โ€ whereby a claims-management company contracts with the primary insurer to lease a provider network that the insurerโ€™s members can access when they travel outside the primary network area, said Terri Welter, principal at ECG Management Consultants, a Seattle-based consulting firm to the health-care industry. While itโ€™s not clear yet, itโ€™s possible this type of system may continue with some plans on the exchanges, she said.

If you move out of state, youโ€™ll need to re-enroll for coverage in your new place of residence. A move will be considered a โ€œqualifying life eventโ€ that will allow you to sign up for coverage outside of the open enrollment period..
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857
83 REPLIES 83

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
wingsfan20 wrote:
The ACA does not impact any one on Medicare as far as exchanges are concerned. If you have Medicare, you meet requirement of the affordable care act.
Think again and do some research. If on Medicare, you will be REQUIRED to have a supplement in order to be in compliance with ACA and around here that is going to be expensive.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

lizbroughton
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that is what I thought. We were ok with Medicare.
Vince & Liz Delpidio
Jerry, Princess, Lizzie and Emily ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 CT Coachworks 40' Siena
Master Tow, Tow Dolly
2012 Hyundai Tucson

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
The ACA does not impact any one on Medicare as far as exchanges are concerned. If you have Medicare, you meet requirement of the affordable care act.
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Here is some more info to be aware of;

My News 4 wrote:
RENO, Nev. (KRNV & MyNews4.com)--The Better Business Bureau says scammers are taking advantage of the launch of the Affordable Care Act.

Click for complete article.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

lizbroughton
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see were it says Medicare. My insurance is from the state that I am registered in, even though I don't live there all year. It covered an out of state surgery for my husband. You must research things.
Vince & Liz Delpidio
Jerry, Princess, Lizzie and Emily ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 CT Coachworks 40' Siena
Master Tow, Tow Dolly
2012 Hyundai Tucson

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
ACA brings a lot of change that we all will have to learn about. An article last week talked about in CA are reduced number to primary care doctors would be available for those signed up though ACA exchanges.

The best I can tell it will be at least 2020 before the dust will settle on what is what and what is not. A major change and it being political in nature just is going to take a long time and be tweaked along the way like Medicare.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
All insurances want to know where you live.
Car, Home, Health, Life.

Insurance is always your enemy or best friend, not much in between!

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I told DH he has to work until he's 66, because then I'll be 65 and we will both be on Medicare.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
If I understand the article correctly, it's primary intent is for retired Federal employees (thus the reference to OPM).

But I'm certain many of the comments could apply to any full-timer/snow-bird
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.