cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data Usage for full timers using wireless internet service.

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
So i was tying to get a handle on how much data the average fulltimer is using. I know on my regular cell phone I can go through close to 1 gig a month with just little usage when not on wifi or laptop.

i know it not possible to stream movies but I wanted to see how much is used for like email, checking or making RV sites to stay etc. i was looking at cost on verizon and see like 16 gig runs close to 100 bucks a month.

thanks
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.
26 REPLIES 26

halfwright
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Verizon 10 gig plan. We go over sometimes, probably 1 month out of 4.
Jim and Darlene Wright
Ryder, the Ethiopian monkey beaver dog
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 Ford F250

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Verizon mi-fi plan and needed to upgrade from 5 to 10, but we also have an unlimited cell phone besides. We don't stream movies. We have also found that most campgrounds have lousy internet!

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 40GB Verizon plan. I bought it for the price of a 20GB plan last year when Verizon was offering a promotion.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
We had 10 GB for years.

Last year I bumped up to 15 GB. We now use right at 15 GB.

I think you use what you have.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
With two laptops, two tablets, two smart phones, one smart TV, and one satellite receiver connected our Verizon hotspot, we usually come within a gig or two, over or under, of our 20GB $100/mo data plan. Overages are only $8/GB though, so it's not very painful when we do run over a bit.

An even better bargain!
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
With two laptops, two tablets, two smart phones, one smart TV, and one satellite receiver connected our Verizon hotspot, we usually come within a gig or two, over or under, of our 20GB $100/mo data plan. Overages are only $8/GB though, so it's not very painful when we do run over a bit.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We used to use about 3-5 gig per month but now find that we are more comfortable with a 10 gig plan. We were always watching our data usage every day, now we just receive texts when we are at 50%, 75% and 90% used. Normally using between 6 - 7 gigs now. We disable the automatic Windows updates and only load those either on wifi or if we are near the end of the month with low usage.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
carl2591 wrote:
i know it not possible to stream movies but I wanted to see how much is used for like email, checking or making RV sites to stay etc.
Not possible? You mean on YOUR phone?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I use at least 20 gigs per month.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
16 GB for $100? Bargain!!

We do the pay-as-you-go JetPack (Verizon) plan and for $90 you get 10 GB. (The upside is that when we're not traveling we don't use it and pay nothing.)

It's for mail, billpay, web surfing, trip planning and the like. Huge computer updates wait 'til we get to a library wi-fi. We've never gone over 10GB in a month. Usually at the end of the cycle we have a couple GB left to stream until it runs out.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We used 5 GB while full-timing. We don't do any streaming of movies, etc.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
As we finish our first year of full-timing, we are finding you cannot depend on any bandwidth at most RV parks, even though you may get great signal strength. We have a 25 GB plan and use our hot spot where we cannot get enough throughput. We've been in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota the past 4 weeks and have almost exclusively used our hotspot. When we were in the southern and eastern US earlier this year that was not the case and we didn't use as much. We went 1G over our plan this past month. BTW, we haven't downloaded any movies, so if you do that you may be in trouble....
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)