cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full-Time RVing Advice Needed

vegasjo
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to purchase a TT to live in full-time in a local RV park. I wish I could say I'm doing it for the adventure of it, but in all honesty I'm doing it because I'm broke.

My budget is $15,000 and I want something new that I can pay cash for. I'm currently looking at a TT called the Crossroads Z-1 ZT211RD. Any thoughts on this model?

Any thoughts on full-timing it in an RV park? Any suggestions? I wish I had more specific questions, but when you know little about the subject specifics can be hard to come by. I figured I'd just throw myself out there and hopefully someone might offer some advice.

Anyway, it's great to be on the forum and I look forward to meeting all of you.

Thanks,
Jon
13 REPLIES 13

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Broke... hmmm....

Def. gently used (3-5), let someone else pay the depreciation.
money saved can go towards "getting things right". Best deal from
"for sale by owner"... you will know quality/"cared for" when you enter the rig.

Sounds like your needs are "shelter" driven....so , avoid paying for
all the extra bells and whistles.

Spend a week reading every forum on this website... take notes, prioritize, do
not buy into paralysis by analysis and you will be fine.

Check RV storage sites in your area... many sport "for sale" signs.
Investigate the RV sites in advance... everything is negotiable when
paying cash up front.

Good luck. I've never really been broke...but I'm sure the recommendations
given on this website would be my template for
making the best of a bad situation.

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that many RV warranties are voided if you live full time in the RV.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a higher end, used fifth wheel? DRV (formerly Doubletree) makes a residential quality unit that is expensive when new, but like all RV equipment it depreciates rapidly. You might find a decent used unit priced within or near your budget.

DRV's have 3.5" thick insulated walls, even in the slide outs. Most have thermopane windows, and they boast insulation values that rival most stick built homes.

It might save you money in the long run to spend a little more up front on that kind of construction, especially if you are facing paying your own electric bill in a park every month.

Good luck.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Read ,read, read!! They all require regular maintenance to keep leaks out and systems performing as they should. You'll want to have the proper tools, materials and most important-knowledge to tackle most issues on your own.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I like your choice. It looks like a great rig, but some of the things that you have to consider is summer heat in Austin and how well it is insulated. Keeping a tin can cool in summer might be a big issue. Check the walls and make sure the rig isn't just a can. Does it have a place for a TV? I didn't see one. And you really should look at one with a slide to get you more side space. 6 inches makes a big difference.

Another thing you can do is to go to a couple of RV Parks and talk to other folks in the area. Go on a Saturday when folks are around. Ask question, ask about their rigs and what they like about it. Ask if there is a propane delivery service that comes to the park or will you have to take your tanks to be refilled. If you only use propane to cook with it isn't much of an issue but in winter it will be your heat source. Another thing to ask is do they pay electricity or are you responsible for it.
And I agree with the others, go look at used rigs for about 15,000 and see how much more bang you can get for your buck. We bought an awesome TT repo last year for under 6k and its is has its own bedroom. Needed cleaning and fixing but hubby is handy. You really want to look for one with a bedroom, a slide or two and as much space as you can afford.

I just read that the RV industry has started to boom again and my feeling is that the reason is many folks are looking at RV living full time for the same reason that you mentioned.

tandkj
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Consider a good used unit, no more than five years old. It will be 1/2 to 1/3 of your budget.

Agree 100%
Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
I always discourage people from investing in a RV to live in permanently without having years of experience in a RV. You want to use a RV for full time stationary living, something RV's are not designed to do. Most RV's do not have enough insulation to keep you cool in that oppressive summer heat, and you will have to take extra precautions for freezing weather. Without that learning curve under your belt, you would be much wiser renting a modest apartment and save your money.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
If you have no plans to move, you might want to consider a used park model or mobile home. You see extremes of weather in Austin and a TT will probably cost more to heat and cool than the other options.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know, I know.....that 'new' smell & feeling
It will fade but not as quickly as the depreciation on that new rig.

And you will be living in it......so what are your plans when you have to take it back to dealer for warranty and they keep it for weeks and then you find out they haven't done anything yet and keep it for more weeks etc......

As suggested look at used rigs......they normally have the bugs worked out and are usually 'only driven to CG on weekends 5X a year'

Most of the CG's we have been to had 'full time residents' for various reasons.
Keep your site clean, uncluttered, be friendly/wave and don't be afraid to ask one of them neighbors for help. Remember that not only is that site part of your 'home' but the entire CG is YOUR neighborhood, a very small close one.

Get a good quality hose for hooking up to city water connection.
Keep and use occasionally, water in your fresh water tank for those unforeseen incidents (no water at CG)
Get an adjustable water pressure regulator...Watts
Never leave your black tank drain valve open.......dump black tank only when it is full/almost full (High liquid level/weight of liquids will carry the stuff out when dumping). After dumping...flush/rinse tank then add couple gallons water back into tank (2 toilet bowl flushes). Then dump grey tank to flush sewer hose.

Get to know your rig........ask questions when you are perplexed, don't know or are unsure.

Good luck on the next phase in your life.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
I see people full timing in just about everything, from Casitas to diesel pushers. They all seem to work under the right circumstances. However, not knowing much about TTs, I'd invest in a membership with RV Consumer Group. They rate RVs with regards to safety, economy and reliability... quite a time saver. Some folks don't place much value in their reports. However, a 20+ year history in the industry is a strong testament that many do. They post ratings for new and used, which is particularly important now that the old brochures have long flown off the shelves. The cost of membership is a pittance relative to the overall expense of a camper and your budget will go further with a gently used quality unit. I used their ratings in '03 when shopping for my current camper and will use them again next year for my retirement choice. If you're in Austin, TX, you'll want a well insulated unit to handle the heat during the summer. Good luck.
RVn Full-time

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Consider a good used unit, no more than five years old. It will be 1/2 to 1/3 of your budget.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
No problem full-timing at an RV park. Generally they have annual rates.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter