cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full Timing With Teens

DMalone
Explorer
Explorer
Ya know what...it's clear now that some have utterly missed the actual question and gotten the seriously off the wall impression this was a dire, desperate sort of question when it wasn't.

If you ask a house dweller about full timing in an RV, you'll get one of two likely answers:

I'd love to/wish I could, and
You're crazy!

As it happens, my entire family fall into group 2. I fall into group 1.

Now...being close to a point in time where I will need to pick a direction on residence, I've considered full time RV vs house. I also have a homeschooled 16 y/o.

IF you are a family with teens and you roadschool, and go full time in an RV, please share your suggestions on how you handle some of the typical teenager issues while residing in an RV, and things for them to do.

IF you deal with group 2 sorts and you'e a group 1 sort, please share advice on how you deal/dealt with people who are terrified of risk, change, or living.

IF you don't do either, then I don't need to hear from you because you don't have relatable relevant experience.

My original question regarding "mid life crisis" was not a severe mental issue. It was a nod to making unconventional choices and the reactions of people in group 2 who inevitably think it's nuts ANYWAY.

My original question regarding teens still stands. There are worse things he'll experience in life than spending a couple years living in an RV and seeing the country. I'm not worried about that. I was for a bit but it's been sorted out. I don't need your BS armchair pseudo psych evaluation nor is one warranted just because I make a decision to make my home an RV.

Now..carry on.
27 REPLIES 27

paddywanpeep
Explorer
Explorer

Maybe you should try actually finding out the whole story because obviously you have failed in doing so.

You complained that the kid won't be going to school but if you actually knew what you were talking about then you would know that the kid is home schooled and that will be continued on the road.

Maybe you should take your own advice and keep quiet as you do not know what you are talking about. You might also want to learn some actual manners while you are keeping quiet.

You can be quiet too, yes road-schooling...something some one made up so THEY can have fun on the road lol, yah good stuff there

Dave_s_Wife
Explorer
Explorer
DMalone,

Now back to your original question. When we 'did' homeschool we used our travel as field trips,history assignments, writing assignments, lessons on navigation, astronomy, meteorology and math. Not sure what curriculum you will be using but we did a combination of self-directed learning and purchased curriculum, whatever you can certainly adapt your travels and use each as a unique learning experience. A visit to a Civil War battlefield, a museum all will be great experience. So any of your traveling experiences can be used as education. You might have him start a blog about life of a teen as a full timer.

A suggestion, at locations where you are staying Google 'homeschooling groups', I know there are plenty and most if not all are very welcoming.

Also, if he is interested in music or plays an instrument or wants to there is a great resource of video/dvd music lessons for just about any musical instrument he might want. http://www.homespuntapes.com/

Good luck, hope it's what you want it to be and hope this helps a little.

Sheila aka....
Dave's Wife
2003 29 ft. Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5th wheel
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Dave & Me

Frankedj
Explorer
Explorer
paddywanpeep wrote:
OK That's not a fair assessment Paddywanpeep! My daughter was homeschooled and far outshines the public school educated kids her age and even older! She is self motivated and can converse with children younger and older adults equally well. I had no problem with the 'socialization issue' she kept me busy with her explorations, horsemanship, 4H leadership and toastmasters.
My statement regarding the traveling with a teenager was just mine. The traveling might be an issue but I bet that if this young man is motivated enough he will do fine. No one has the right to on a onetime statement accuse someone of being a failure. We can't make a blanket accusation on this basis. We don't know the total situation or how much time,planning, sweat or tears went into this decision.
As to the moving constantly, that would be their choice, they might be stationary for long periods of time especially if they work camp.

Sheila aka..

I wasn't talking about you...did you do all this stuff while full timing like the OP wants to? I guess not, so be quiet

Maybe you should try actually finding out the whole story because obviously you have failed in doing so.

You complained that the kid won't be going to school but if you actually knew what you were talking about then you would know that the kid is home schooled and that will be continued on the road.

Maybe you should take your own advice and keep quiet as you do not know what you are talking about. You might also want to learn some actual manners while you are keeping quiet.

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
I think you did your son a disservice when you used the minimum wage. So, you feel that he will never earn more than minimum? You have no high expectations for him?

You sound pretty selfish to me, sorry.

This too. Minimum wage has nothing to do with my kids. Nor does the fact that my mother and DH's mother both live on a fixed income.

We don't live in a caste society.
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to pile on but that original post sounded very manipulative and one-sided. Sorry mom, you messed up.
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console

paddywanpeep
Explorer
Explorer
You make a lot of assumptions that simply aren't true or may not be true. Your last sentence also does a great job of showing off something about yourself that you might not want to broadcast so loudly.

I don't think they are assumptions when the OP is stating that minimum wage is the best this kid will do. Maybe you should re-read the OP's post. Maybe as a parent you failed too.

paddywanpeep
Explorer
Explorer
OK That's not a fair assessment Paddywanpeep! My daughter was homeschooled and far outshines the public school educated kids her age and even older! She is self motivated and can converse with children younger and older adults equally well. I had no problem with the 'socialization issue' she kept me busy with her explorations, horsemanship, 4H leadership and toastmasters.
My statement regarding the traveling with a teenager was just mine. The traveling might be an issue but I bet that if this young man is motivated enough he will do fine. No one has the right to on a onetime statement accuse someone of being a failure. We can't make a blanket accusation on this basis. We don't know the total situation or how much time,planning, sweat or tears went into this decision.
As to the moving constantly, that would be their choice, they might be stationary for long periods of time especially if they work camp.

Sheila aka..

I wasn't talking about you...did you do all this stuff while full timing like the OP wants to? I guess not, so be quiet

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
paddywanpeep wrote:
Thats Awesome!!
You totally manipulated your son into thinking this is going to be super fun and cool. Ah yes, the constant moving from place to place, not having any friends because you are on the go all the time, obviously not going to school. Sounds like you are setting him up in life to be a complete success!

With lack of any education or skilled trade, or permanent home I am sure he will do completely fine later in life trying to earn out a living. Forget about him trying to support a family, heck you are having fun out on the road right!

As a parent YOU HAVE FAILED miserably.

You make a lot of assumptions that simply aren't true or may not be true. Your last sentence also does a great job of showing off something about yourself that you might not want to broadcast so loudly.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Dave_s_Wife
Explorer
Explorer

Sheila aka....
Dave's Wife
Dave & Me

paddywanpeep
Explorer
Explorer
Thats Awesome!!
You totally manipulated your son into thinking this is going to be super fun and cool. Ah yes, the constant moving from place to place, not having any friends because you are on the go all the time, obviously not going to school. Sounds like you are setting him up in life to be a complete success!

With lack of any education or skilled trade, or permanent home I am sure he will do completely fine later in life trying to earn out a living. Forget about him trying to support a family, heck you are having fun out on the road right!

As a parent YOU HAVE FAILED miserably.

Dave_s_Wife
Explorer
Explorer
So...I'm neutral as to why and how you should or would fulltime and entertain a teen but I just googled full timing with a family and here is the linkFull time Family RV Blogs
I more than anything would like to full time and I am retired but as to feasibility with a teen, not sure.
Good Luck

Sheila aka....
Dave's Wife
Dave & Me

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty hard to be happy on an empty belly and no place to sleep.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

2324delk
Explorer
Explorer
I think you told your son the truth.

We live in a society, that is directed by opinions and greed.

Many people believe that we cannot be happy unless we have the same drive to succeed that they have, and are driven by their same dream of what makes happiness.

Most people work hard to possess things that really do not make them happy, simply because they see others with them.

There will be plenty for him to do if you can teach him how to enjoy his life.

Or you could just go ahead and let him live the life chosen for him by all the commercials telling us what we should have, to be happy and successful.

My 90 plus year old grandfather, told me if he could live his life over, he would try to live the happy part first. Because he ran out of time and energy before he got to the happy part.

Good Luck

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I think the teen things to do was answered adequately in your other threads that really don't vary from this one.

As for the teen, you need to enroll him in a local school so he can learn the social skills needed to function in his future life. Home schooling is fine for younger children but a son that lives with grandparents and a divorced/depressed mother needs to socialize daily with those his own age.

You are being very unfair manipulating your son to go along with your dream.

Changing your location won't change your life problems. Change your problems and any location will be available to you.

You are instilling in your son the wrong attitudes. You obviously have a mindset that the world is out to get you and all is hopeless. That is a terrible attitude to impart on your son as his legacy from you. You are setting him up to fail.

We live in the greatest country in the world and ones possibilities for success are endless. With all the new technology, opportunities have never been better for entrepreneurs. You need to get rid of the loser attitude and stop beating your son over the head with it.

Teach him to shine, not whine!
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900