cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health insurance -- where to call home when I apply?

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I've been on the road 7 years (no other home) and have used my parents' address in MT as my home address. My vehicles are registered there. They're now moving to Mexico full-time selling their house, and I'm wondering where I should declare myself for health insurance coverage. Going to take a look at the Affordable Care thing this weekend. I spend a lot of time in CA, Occasionally AZ, MT. Other spots I visit less frequently. I literally won't have a place to declare as a home base once they've moved. But they are still there for now.

Any thoughts on this? I have friends in MT and WA state which may be willing/able to let me use their address as my home address if that helps at all. The friend in MT in on the other side of the state.

Thanks...

Also wondering if you have a preference for auto/rig insurance. Progressive signed me up knowing I was on the road most of the year then I got rear-ended last May and they dropped me because the accident happened in CA. Then I was dumb enough to bring up my rig and they said, "Yeah, you'll lose that too when it's up for renewal."
18 REPLIES 18

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I would look into the following:
Which "location" has the best situation for me?
Which has the lowest taxes?
Which has the best health care coverage?
Which has the best services I need?

Then find a friend or mail forwarding service in that state.

Common states are: Texas, South Dakota, Montana and Florida
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Try www.myrvmail.com in Crestview Florida. They will assist setting up an address and with mail forwarding.
National Interstate Insurance insures full timers and tow vehicles or toads.
No state tax in FL.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You've only got 3 days left..deadline for ACA is March 31st....Monday

After that date you have to wait until mid-Nov to sign up. But you will be paying a tax penalty.

FL, SD & TX are Full Time RV friendly states....some issues with ACA Med. coverage and I don't know that you can meet 'residency' requirements by Monday.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
Joining the Escapees is one popular route. Then use your Livingston,TX address as your "home".
🙂