cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homestead

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm fulltiming in an RV can I homestead the RV?
In Florida we "homestead" our properties.
This gives us 2 advantages:
We get a discount on our property taxes.
Gives us protection in case we're sued. They can't take our home away.
So the question is can we Homestead the RV if we're fulltiming in it?
8 REPLIES 8

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all, that's what I was thinking that it had to have land.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
This has been discussed before a few years back.

The simple answer is NO

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
In FL you could homestead but you have to own the land where it's parked and it would have to be a permanent residence tied down to the land.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
If it has wheels on it then it is not "fixed". Take the wheels off put it on blocks it is "fixed". At least that was the way it was explained to me.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
defined by Fla. Stat. 196.012(18) as โ€œthat place where a person has his or her true, fixed, and permanent home and principal establishment to which, whenever absent, he or she has the intention of returning.โ€

I think it has to be a "fixed" and "Permanent" home to qualify. You can deduct the interest on your tax return if your deductions are high enough.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
In Florida I think the only thing it saves you is a discount on the property tax. Since you don't pay property tax on an RV in Florida I don't see any advantage to homesteading your motor home. I have never heard of anyone getting a homestead on an RV in Florida.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
That is what I would do also. With important legal questions such as those, go straight to the source to be sure to get the correct answers. That type of information obtained from unknown people on any internet forum should always be verified so why not go straight to the source.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
When I read different posts on this matter on different forums, I get different opinions. I think it would be best to talk to the county/state officials and get it correct.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog