cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is a generator necessary?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are likely to spend a couple of days without hookups from time to time. Do we need a generator? Will solar panels do just as well? How far do the batteries really take you. I know to skip a/c and we can live without TV & microwave for a couple of days.
19 REPLIES 19

RetSgt7114
Explorer
Explorer
Needed? No
Nice to have? Yes
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gulfstream Yellowstone
USAF Veteran
US Army Veteran
Retired LEO 34 years

SteveRuff
Explorer
Explorer
No. You do not NEED a generator. Living without hookups is much easier WITH a generator. Asking how far the batteries will take you is like asking how long a 6 pack of beer will last. Some people can make it last 6 days, others 6 weeks, but some can't last one day! My 2 12 volt batteries, with careful monitoring and minimum usage will last 3 to 4 days. Solar panels will not do just as well as a generator unless you have a serious setup. Typically, when not on hookups, I like to run my generator about an hour in the morning. During this time I try to get my coffee made, and any microwave usage I need for the day as well as letting it charge my batteries. I will usually run it an hour in the evening around supper time, again for some microwave use, maybe the news on television, and topping off the batteries for the night. There is nothing worse than having your propane alarm go off at 3:00 AM because your batteries have gotten too low!
Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
With enough batteries you can go a couple/three days without charging with the right usage regimen. A generator is noisy and uses fuel. Solar is more expensive initially, but has a long-term payback. No noise, sunlight is free.

What is your setup and usage currently? How you will or want to use power is a starting point for determining options.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
My advice...try it and see how it goes with your style of camping off the grid..
Generators are easy to find and easy to buy.
(unless you are camping on the moon....:))

We easily go 3 days on the batts..unless it's really cold and we have to run the furnace a lot.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
No you really do not need a generator for a couple of days. We usually spend three or more days at a time on the Metolious with no hookups just fine. About three years ago we were there over Memorial day weekend, cloudy, cool and some rain. So lights , tv and heat were pretty much on all the time and my batteries were fine. I did run the generator for a couple of hours on the last day just to be sure. If you decide on a generator, start with something like a Honda 2000? That is a good handy tool. Easy to carry and store and will produce enough power to recharge the batteries.