cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

medical insurance under 65?

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
DH has Medicare, but I'm 62. ACA is state specific and doesn't look like it would work for a FT lifestyle.

No employee coverage... no retiree coverage. No cobra. No military.

Sooo...any ideas?

cts
37 REPLIES 37

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
deb siems wrote:

Try looking at Washington State. They have their own health exchange and no state income tax.

But they don't have a good mail service and they won't accept UPS boxes as a 'residential' address. We've considered it several times, but didn't want my relatives responsible for our mail, plus the cost of registering in the Seattle area worked against this.

Tx for the tip.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
deb siems wrote:

Try looking at Washington State. They have their own health exchange and no state income tax.

But they don't have a good mail service and they won't accept UPS boxes as a 'residential' address. We've considered it several times, but didn't want my relatives responsible for our mail, plus the cost of registering in the Seattle area worked against this.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
if you like your motorhome, you can keep it.
2020 Integra 36U
can am spyder or can am commander
BE PREPARED- NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT.

deb_siems
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
Jean S wrote:

if you ae able to change your domicile state, it would be best to look for one that got involved and set up its own exchange.

For full timers, that's typically South Dakota, Texas, or Florida because none of them has a state tax, and none of the three states set up their own health care exchange.

Of these three, SD has the least number of plan providers and from what I've seen looks to have the most expensive ACA plans when compared to TX and FL.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Jean S wrote:

if you ae able to change your domicile state, it would be best to look for one that got involved and set up its own exchange.

For full timers, that's typically South Dakota, Texas, or Florida because none of them has a state tax, and none of the three states set up their own health care exchange.

Of these three, SD has the least number of plan providers and from what I've seen looks to have the most expensive ACA plans when compared to TX and FL.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of states in which the insurance exchanges are working beautifully. They tend to be states which got on board with the program instead of fighting it. The other states will eventually have to improve their access, but it will take time.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
If you can change your domicile I'd recommend looking at another state that might have better options. Floirda, insurance wise, is a poor state. Excellent for a lot of other things but insurance and trying to register HDT as a MH are two huge negatives for FT RV'rs.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Docheck out those gold plans. We are in FL. A frind of mine is 59 and a self employed artist, and makes just over $35k a year. She was delighted to see that she could finally get insurance, even with her diabetes, with a subsidy that meant she no longer had to face bankruptcy if she got sick. Not saying that will be everyone's experience, but it is hers.

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
rmalik1 wrote:
I'd think that AARP may be able to help also?

AARP is not getting involved in ACA. Only Medicare supplements. If DH takes another job... jury still out, he's 69 now... no subsidy. Although we currently live in FL... we plan to retire back to SoMO so will check out BCBS.

Since there's been an extension on having to do ACA insurors are rumbling about raising rates already. It just never ends.

cts

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd think that AARP may be able to help also?
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
Blue Cross Blue Shield offers multi-state plans in about 30 states. These plans have a nationwide network. For nationwide coverage, you must look at PPOs rather than HMOs.

In Missouri, the BCBS company is Anthem. Their website is rather lousy with regards to which plans are Multi-state, though the Fed websites states that there are two silver plans that are. I would call them for help.

x2 on the bcbs

So the OP also knows the $ amount to get a break on the cost is approximately 62,040.00 income for two people. For one person the max amount is 45,960.00; anything made lower than those amounts will get rate deduction!
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not true. Uninsured hospital visits cost the medical industry billions that are paid for by those of us that pay. Medical bills are the number one cause for bankruptcy which we end up paying for, too.
We also pay for uninsured motorist damaged as well.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Every one has to buy car insurance so I never understood what the problem was. Everyone should have medical coverage.

The difference is that car insurance protects you from me. But, if I get sick without insurance, you're not out one dime.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this article in USAToday...
Canโ€™t get on HealthCare.gov? No problem on Page 1B of Tuesday, November 26, 2013 issue of USA TODAY

Sites such as eHeathInsurance? .com? , GetInsured.com ? and GoHealth? .com ? โ€” all owned by for-profit companies โ€” can sell policies that comply with the ACAโ€™s individual mandate in the 36 states served by HealthCare? .gov? .

One of these might offer a national PPO plan.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com