cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medicare and Insurance

BarbeeC
Explorer
Explorer
Help, friends! Turning 65 in Oct., what supplemental plan do you all suggest for those of us who travel? We are S. Dakota residents for postal/tax reasons only. Any feedback would be appreciated!
22 REPLIES 22

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I went with BCBS Select plan F and their plan D for drugs. Good anywhere in US.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

robbiesgram
Explorer
Explorer
Try United Health Care thru AARP. Choose the plan F, which will cover you all over the US. We were domiciled in SD for about 10 years and used United all over the US, for some major health issues.

They probably aren't the cheapest, but the docs & hospitals like them as they pay the bills promptly.

We had part D through them also.

Good luck

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
South Dakota The info for SD and Medicare
traveling all the time the Best way I believe is original medicare with a supplement as told to me in several Shiba/ Ship seminars.. NOT a advantage medicare replacement program as medicare is accepted across the country.Advantage plans work well if you wont travel. People mix up the MediGap/supplement(same thing) and advantage plans all the time, they are different products entirely. Advantage plans may be cheaper but are restrictive in who and where you can see a DR As they contract to replace Medicare (you still pay your Medicare premium ) A supplement adds coverage to original Medicare that basic medicare doesn't pay.
Pick the letter supplement that meets your needs G or F are popular and find a company that has it. coverage is identical by law, premiums are slightly different depending on the company.

If you get a supplement you will also need a part D drug plan
Bill

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Read and do your picking as best suits your needs
http://medicarebenefits.us/medicare-supplements/policies/south-dakota/#.WbLlXcaQxLM

And on that page is this link:
http://medicarebenefits.us/medicare-supplemental-vs-medicare-advantage-plans/#.WbLqAfl97IU

Don't overlook the "advantage" plans.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
From what I have read, S.D. has very very few options. So you better start checking. Wife has a Kaiser suppliment. 44 dollars a month plus reasonable copays.

Not so
THAT was for Obamacare Choices...VERY Limited

SD has 29 Medigap Ins. Companies

Read and do your picking as best suits your needs
http://medicarebenefits.us/medicare-supplements/policies/south-dakota/#.WbLlXcaQxLM
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a nationwide supplement. Take at AARP endorsed supplements, 'F' plans. They pick up the 80% Medicare doesn't. There are also other nationwide plans.

You will also need a drug plan. If in good health now, look at WalMart or Express Scripts, for their Plan D coverage/costs.

Medicare web site is your friend, us it for research

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

BarbeeC
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
From what I have read, S.D. has very very few options. So you better start checking. Wife has a Kaiser suppliment. 44 dollars a month plus reasonable copays.