cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moldy clothes smell

Lady_Dew_Drop
Explorer
Explorer
As we are full timers I keep a lot of seasonable clothes in suitcases in our basement storage of our MH. Unfortunately they start smelling moldy. I've heard using dryer sheets but would like to use non-scented ones. Would that work?

Any suggestions are appreciated
23 REPLIES 23

Mark_Ultra
Explorer
Explorer
I like new clothes so much! It is always so fresh

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been full-time 9 years and have never had musty smelling clothing in the basement storage. I just put them in rubbermaid tubs. We don't get moisture in our storage areas, have never seen any condensation in them. Oh - and no bugs either - don't know how they would get in if everything is properly aligned and tight unless you leave the door open.

OwlSik4
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
We've traveled for 9 years, fulltime, never, ever had a problem with things stored in the basement. Moldy = moisture in the bays = water leaks. First should be to figure out how you're getting moisture built up in the bays. Since we are into a bay every day or two, there is always fresh air moving around. I store out-of-season clothes in vacumn bags and then place into a long plastic tub on rollers so it is easy to move around. Might it be that you are smelling adhesives that off gas from the luggage? We also don't carry that much in the way of 'off season' clothes - - we follow the 75ยฐ mark and add/take off as appropriate so we really wear the same clothes year round. Especially this winter - maybe 3 weeks total without shorts on.

Barb

Absolutely the same! Although we live in that cold climate zone, I still love to look good. It's not easy when it's almost all year round you feel freezed. However, if we have some family parties or going on a date with my husband to the restaurant, I wanna look good. I just love puff sleeve tops, dresses. But they are really hard to find as separate category. I was pretty amazed when I finally managed to find LilyLulu. They have absolutely awesome filter and I couldn't believe my eyes, finally they do have this category. If you're as obsessed as I am, click here and choose something suitable, after all. Great discovery!

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
although I don't store clothes long term in my RV like OP, I do store clothes long term in my S&B here in the humid, hot, more humid deep South. I have found the actual bags marked "Space Bags" or "original Space Bags" do seal and stay sealed pretty well. I have had clothes and linens in the bags stored in the attic and in closets that aren't frequently accessed and have had no issues with smells from them. If I put in garbage bag or just plastic tote, they seem to have a musty smell. the space bags are worth the cost, and do reduce volume too.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
You could try scent control bags. They are typically sold at sporting goods stores. I put a scent free dryer sheet in the bag before sealing it. The bags are stored nine months out of the year and no issues.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
When you find your solution you might consider replacing the suitcases which mostly likely is harboring the moldy smell. Anything put into them will smell.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We are also full-time and just store our off season clothing in large rubbermaid tubs with a snap on lid. We do not have any problem, but our bays are lined and insulated. We do however have condensation in the bedroom slide in the area of the bed storage that sticks out into the cold. We use a couple of the damp rid containers ( purchased off-brand at Dollar Tree for $1 each) and they work very well. We also put one in any area that is closed off and air doesn't circulate, like under the dinette seat in the storage area. We change them 3 or 4 times a year. They really help.

Tip on Storage Tubs:

Check under the handle area on the tubs you buy. Some have 'holes' drilled in them. So you really do not have a safe tight seal.:R

Yes I was shocked too to find that one out when traveling in the south the bugs just walked right thru the holes into my stuff. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are also full-time and just store our off season clothing in large rubbermaid tubs with a snap on lid. We do not have any problem, but our bays are lined and insulated. We do however have condensation in the bedroom slide in the area of the bed storage that sticks out into the cold. We use a couple of the damp rid containers ( purchased off-brand at Dollar Tree for $1 each) and they work very well. We also put one in any area that is closed off and air doesn't circulate, like under the dinette seat in the storage area. We change them 3 or 4 times a year. They really help.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Lady Dew Drop wrote:
Being full-timers we have Summer & Winter clothes so there is no way we can keep them all in our closet; hence basement storage. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Don't you move during the year? We wear our clothes year round - maybe add an extra layer if it turns chilly, but in reality we wear the same clothes year round.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Lady_Dew_Drop
Explorer
Explorer
Being full-timers we have Summer & Winter clothes so there is no way we can keep them all in our closet; hence basement storage. Thanks everyone for the tips.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
We use these to store stuff down south for six months over the summer.

Clicky

Make sure everything is dry prior to storing.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We stored ALL our clothes upstairs in our closet. Perhaps you have too many clothes to do this? ๐Ÿ™‚ Time for a Goodwill run!

I see your profile has Gulf Shores, AL. If you're staying a lot in the southern states then that's your problem. Your basement will get humid. I'd really move them upstairs if I were you.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
temperature changes and condensation will make clothes smell that way. We store all our clothes inside the RV. If it won't fit inside, we get rid of it. Vacuum bags or plastic bins that seal tightly are the best bet for storage in bays.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Washing with color safe bleach will get rid of the mildew odor.

I agree that the odor comes from dampness. Which might be from condensation inside the bags. You may have better results from bags that can 'breathe' meaning not plastic. If your basement is dry :).

And of course, do your packing on a dry day, in a dry climate, and when clothes are not the slightest bit warm from the dryer. Otherwise you are just packing moisture!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.