cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Full Time Camper in need of insulation advise.

WhitePhoenix9
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I just bought my first camper last week and I have been living in it since then. I'm living behind my family's home (in Massachusetts) so I got electric and water. I have a 5th wheel 30 foot 2003 coachmen charp. I want to save as much on propane as possible till next winter when I will rent a large propane tank, but until then I'm using an electric heater. I can't seem to get the place warm I'm currently in the process of putting skirting I got 3/4 inch "SuperTUFF-R Foam Insulation for that. I also put reflectix on the windows and keep the bunckroom door closed with a blanket on it. I'm also pretty much broke becuase of everything I needed to do to buy the camper exc. I was just looking for advice on how to much my home a little bit more liveable. The weather is warming up so even if its only a temp fix for the next few weeks it would be welcomed. I also need to be ready for next year, if anyone has any advice on that. Thanks for your advice!
7 REPLIES 7

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing you can do to help with comfort is put any rugs, blankets etc you can down on the floor especially where you are sitting. Cold comes up thru the floor and even in an insulated unit, the floors transfer cold to you. Adding another layer of anything between the outside and you will help. Make sure you put something in any vents or skylight areas to keep from losing heat thru them. We found that sofa pillows were exactly the size we needed to push them up into the vent openings and easily removed if the sun is shining to let the warmth in. Add curtains over day/night shades too. I used a tension rod (cheap) pushed up under the valances with the curtains hanging from that. The heavier the fabric the better for you.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
WhitePhoenix9 wrote:

...as far as electric heaters go, what type of electric heater works best within a camper?

All currently available portable electric heaters are limited to 1,500 watts consumption.

All 1,500 watt heaters put out approximately 5,100 BTU of heat. It doesn't matter what heater you use, and regardless of the hype you see in tv commercials, none will put out more than 5,100 BTU.

There are permanent installation electric heaters that put out more heat but are expensive and require special installation and upgraded wiring.

Depending on the wiring supply to your trailer you may be able to run two portable heaters on separate circuits.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably not what you want to hear, but it's probably cheaper to haul it to a warmer climate. The cost to keep even a well insulated dwelling heated is getting out of hand making a not so well insulated place super expensive.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Windows:

Cover the inside of the windows with "bubble-wrap".
    Use two layers with the bubble sides touching.

Skirting:

Almost any material will work to block the wind.
    - Sheets of corrugated paper (cardboard)
    - Foam insulation sheets.
    - Straw (NOT HAY) bales.

When using bales place them with the stalks vertical so they won't trap water.

Heaters:

I use two:
    The main one is an oil filled radiator with a small fan behind it.

The secondary one is a "utility" heater.

Both heaters are plugged in to Lux WIN100 thermostats.
    Main thermostat is set to 75°F.
    Secondary thermostat is set to 71°F.

Propane furnace is set to come on if the inside temperature drops below 68°.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

WhitePhoenix9
Explorer
Explorer
An additional question I have is; after skirting, would gluing/stapling more foam board or some other type of insulation to the under belly of the camper help? I read that 25% of heat if lost via the floors. I might want to eventually use spray insulation to redo the factory insulation before next winter. Also as far as electric heaters go, what type of electric heater works best within a camper?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your pretty much out of luck there. Even my well Insulated trailer propane has cost me up to 80 dollars a week. On top of a 150 dollar electric bill. RV's are just not well Insulated and nothing outside of a complete wrap in huge sheets of foam board are going to help much. Covering Windows with shrink wrap from a home improvement store might help some, and is cheap. Insulating over all openings might help a little. But bottom line lots of blankets until it warms up is about all you can do.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Bales of straw make a good insulator for a temporary fix. You wouldn't want to use them permanently because they would probably contribute to rodent infestation.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900