cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane use in mountains

TDiddy51
Explorer
Explorer
I have just been told that the refrigerator won't work on propane in the mountains while on the road. If this is true, I need to get some dry ice for our trip from the Black Hills to W Yellowstone next week. Can anyone verify this for me?
25 REPLIES 25

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi MCIbus,

You have the right idea--but it is backwards. Butane has a higher boiling point than propane (-1 C for butane, and -42 C for propane). In the south--it doesn't matter and butane actually has more "heat content" than propane. Where it is cold it does matter.

MCIbus wrote:
The only thing I could think of dose not sound right from the information that was given.
During the winter the propane tank got to cold and the liquid would not be able to evaporate at the speed that was needed, but this happens at high flows. During the winter butane is often mixed with propane and keeps the tanks from โ€œfreezing upโ€.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never had a problem running the fridge on propane in these areas.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

squeakkos
Explorer
Explorer
wow what some people think. I know it takes longer to cook and food gets cold faster in the mountains.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
TDiddy51 wrote:
I have just been told...

What were the qualifications of the person stating such wisdom?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
..been up to 10,000' EL running a propane heater, refrig and stove...no problems. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MCIbus
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I could think of dose not sound right from the information that was given.
During the winter the propane tank got to cold and the liquid would not be able to evaporate at the speed that was needed, but this happens at high flows. During the winter butane is often mixed with propane and keeps the tanks from โ€œfreezing upโ€.
2011 MCI D4500

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be just fine!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

TDiddy51
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the quick responses.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably spoken by someone who's never camped.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sundance07
Explorer
Explorer
Never had an issue in 30+ years of camping in the Rockies...:h
2012 Ram 3500 4x4 CCLB/DRW Laramie, Cummins 6.7 HO, 68RFE, 4.10 Max Tow, Firestone Ride-Rite, 50 Gal Transfer Flow
2008 Citation Supreme Platinum XL 34.5 CKTS, GVW 15500, MorRyde, 4 wh disc brakes, -30C Polar Pkg

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll be ok with running the propane. The mixture will just run a little rich which may equal a slight bit more propane usage but there shouldn't be any kind of problem.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer