cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas Class A road test question

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
I moved my residence to Texas in December and applied for a Class A exempt license. (Drive a 40' 5th Wheel with total weight over 26,001 lbs).

Took the road test in Texas City in Jan and the woman testing me failed me.

Took me 3 tries to parallel park and I touched the curb
I touched a curb on one of my turns
I entered the opposing lane on many of my turns

Most of the course was in a residential neighborhood with very narrow streets. My roof sustained damage from low hanging trees which I was unable to avoid.

Question is this. For those of you who drive something long 40' or more - how do you make a turn without entering the opposing traffic lane?

1- if there is no car waiting at a light, I can stay inside the turning lane and enter opposing lane after I execute the turn
2- If I see a car waiting, I always swing a little into the opposing lane before I make the turn - don't see any way to avoid this

I'm not clearing the curb by much more than a few inches, so i see no way to not at some point go in an opposing lane.

Any suggestions on how you take turns in a long rig to pass this test?
21 REPLIES 21

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Rent or borrow a bumper pull trailer with a gvwr of more than 10k and take the test in it. Though i kinda think if you rubbed that many curbs and cant park it you might rethink the size you have.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Should be similar to what a semi rig with a 53' trailer does.

Left turn.....
Left turn

Right turn.....
Right turn

I think you have to "go long" before you actually start to turn, which means you will traverse the oncoming lanes of traffic nearest to your target lane for completing the turn. It's unavoidable in a long rig. I can't see how they can fail anyone for that.

This^^^ is correct
The op failed if I read correctly , because he went left into the lane beside him before turning and not into the oncoming lane of the cross traffic.

I think he may have also dragged his rear inside wheels along the near side curb, which was considered a fail as well?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
MDKMDK wrote:

Left turn.....
Left turn

Right turn.....
Right turn

I think you have to "go long" before you actually start to turn, which means you will traverse the oncoming lanes of traffic nearest to your target lane for completing the turn. It's unavoidable in a long rig. I can't see how they can fail anyone for that.

This^^^ is correct
The op failed if I read correctly , because he went left into the lane beside him before turning and not into the oncoming lane of the cross traffic.
Bill

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer

Left turn.....
Left turn

Right turn.....
Right turn

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a commercial driver I was trained to go to the far left of my lane (just not the lane beside you which is why I guess she failed you) and proceed into the intersection fully. Waiting if needed for the traffic on the other inside turn or traffic lane to move, so your rear wheels remain a foot or two from the inner curb at the apex.(the other and bigger infraction that cant touch the curb!)You can use the oncomming traffic lane just not the one beside you. Not always possible is it? 🙂 Esp if the other traffic doesn't cooperate. Doesn't sound right but I guess its the "proper" way, not saying I always did it that way 😉
I would have refused to go down a road with low hanging branches. Not sure why Test would have done that. Most States require the test to be only on legal "proper" roads for the vehicle.
Bill

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Suggest taking the test on roads that you would be using your RV safely, not a residential neighborhood with narrow streets and overhead branches. Try taking the test in another town. You have to swing wide to make a turn. You can't do so by being at a curb and immediately turning.

Didn't go down any of these roads by my choice. Already planning on testing at a different location

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest taking the test on roads that you would be using your RV safely, not a residential neighborhood with narrow streets and overhead branches. Try taking the test in another town. You have to swing wide to make a turn. You can't do so by being at a curb and immediately turning.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel