Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of Full Time RVing

adayers
Explorer
Explorer
At least for a few years.

What does one do about Mail?

What does one do about seeing Doctors?

What does one do for Safe Storage of firearms while travelling up to Canada? and what about crossing state lines with them in your RV? Oh this is bigger than I thought.
Fantastically,

Alan
7 REPLIES 7

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
adayers wrote:

What does one do about seeing Doctors?

Because of the potential high cost, this is the BIG question that could affect all the rest of your concerns.

If you're under 65 when you start full timing and need to buy your own health insurance, then you want to find a "portable" health insurance plan. Typically, this is a PPO plan with a nationwide network. These are getting harder and harder to find.

If you'll be 65 or over when you retire, then you'll probably be on Medicare which is about as "portable" as you can get in health coverage.

adayers wrote:

What does one do about Mail?

We use Mom & Pop mail forwarding services.

There's no need to get "full timers" mail service. While Escapees mail service is great if you domicile in TX, FL, or SD, don't let it dictate where you stay . . . if you're under 65 & buying your own health insurance, TX and SD are currently very bad domicile choices.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Mail: Use a full-timer's mail forwarding service

Doctors: Either return to the ones you use now or check that your medical insurance is a PPO plan and allows you to use most any doctor throughout the country. If you're on Medicare, you're covered anywhere.

Guns: Never had them.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
Mail - sign up with one of the many professional mail forwarding companies. this should also be coordinated with your choice of domicile state, if you're planning to change home states while fulltiming. another option available to some, is to use a close family member to receive & forward your mail.

Medical - this depends on your insurance coverage & health issues. some have HMO type coverage which requires them to return to a specific area to get "in network" treatment. emergencies are usually covered anywhere.
Those with PPO plans or federal medicare or VA can get covered treatment anywhere in the country.
Those with ongoing health issues may prefer to return to the same medical providers each year for followup. Those needing only routine checkups can select a doctor anywhere along their route.

Guns - no problem carrying firearms in your vehicle, if you comply with the federal requirements for transporting firearms. Once you stop for an extended stay in a state, then you need to comply with that state's laws, which are available online from several sources. Many of the western states where gun regulation is more limited, allow open or concealed carry in your vehicle with no permit, a few even allow loaded firearms in your vehicle. The state by state vehicle transport rules are usually different than the carry on your person rules. So the CCW is usually needed once you step outside your vehicle, not always required while in the vehicle. (western states)
these rules also change frequently, so keep up to date. I carry 2 pistols, a lever action rifle and a shotgun in my motorhome, almost everywhere I go. I participate in firearm competitions all over the western US.
Canada & Mexico - stay out if you prefer to carry firearms with you; or find a shop near the border willing to store them for a fee. one loose bullet found in your rig can send you to a Mexican jail.
Jim

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
I gave most of my handguns to my sons and kept 3 which we carry with us. Check the CCW laws in each state as you enter. We'll be on the west coast next year and my Texas permit isn't reciprocal in CA, OR or WA, so while I'll have firearms in my "home", they wont be in the truck or carried on me. We've not gone to Canada yet, but from most of the Canadians we know, you cannot get handguns into the country (or it is not worth the trouble). We'll leave ours with friends in the Dakotas when we go up there and collect them when we return. We'll be going into Nova Scotia this summer, but are planning to leave the rig in the secured in a US Campground and just drive over for a few days and stay in hotels.

We're under 65, so healthcare IS becoming an issue. We see our doctor at home annually when we visit Texas, but getting care that is covered out of state is an issue for us. I'd make sure to check into this before you decide, especially if you'll be under 65. Medicare probably is more portable.

We belong to Escapees and use their mail service which has worked well for us.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
see www.rv-dreams.com for lots of info about fulltime RVing

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Mail: I use a local mail service.
Dr: Find out what your insurance allows. Ask locals for dr recommendations as you travel.

Call me for further details.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the firearms, (depending on quantity) I would find a trusted friend or relative and buy a good safe and keep them at their house.
Pick 1 or 2 to take with you and get an online app for state laws. Most are pretty easy but some areas are very restrictive. Even with a CCW permit in Ca, I can't carry in the wonderful city of San Francisco per city ordinance, but state law doesn't prohibit it. Could do it but wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of fighting it in court.
As far as Canada or Mexico, you could probably make arrangements with a local law enforcement agency close to the border to hold them or a respectable firearms dealer. Be sure your paperwork is in order,
You can take them into Canada, but may not be worth the paperwork hassle.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650