cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Tourism in Mexico

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Every season there are posters who think that this year RV tourism is increasing. As much as we would all like to think it is recovering the truth is it sucks! Today, El Imparcial has an article on the loss of trailer parks in San Carlos. There are quotes from the Tourist and Convention people with statistics. They used to have a thousand RV tourists in SC. Now it is maybe 150. Kino is very similar. They also mention that the RV'rs would return every year and eventually buy a house. The article also mentions the impact on the local economy. I can remember when you needed a reservation to get a spot in Kino. Not now. According to that article they blame the perception of insecurity.

Moisheh
196 REPLIES 196

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I've harped on this a hundred times...

The REAL, the sole authentic DANGER to reasonably intelligent travelers is to get in a head-on.

It takes EFFORT, and multiple tries for an ignorant individual to put themselves in danger down here. Yes, there were several incidents of smart travelers getting hurt by criminals - but count 'em - how many? A country 2/5ths the size of the USA, with 120,000,000 souls. How many travelers (let's include everyone not just RV'ers) have been hurt down here by criminals? No I am not counting the woman who got speared by a coconut palm while para sailing...

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tacoma, Washington is the nearest city to our village.
Tacoma has a downtown. Lots of older buildings and small interesting shops.
I was shocked to find that some citizens of our little village had a fear of going to downtown Tacoma.

Their fear is nonsense of course.
But I respect everyone's right to their own perceptions.

Fear pervades perception for many people.
Fear of travel to Mexico is very understandable.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with ya wanderer. Life is calm in my hood and I like it. If they don't want to go out of the "comfort zone" that's OK by me, but I would rather be here than there.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Well, this tears-it, I must be getting Alzheimer's. Is the NVA cooking the tacos? Or Joe Biden? Gotta get me a stronger hearing aid. No matter how far I stick my head out the window I can't hear the rattle of AK47s, nor the ka-boom of the rocket launchers. Ain't no way I'm going to Bezerkeley, California though - the violence spillover from neighboring Furgueson makes things a little rough around the edges these days. Now, what do you call Bezerklians - ABNORMALISTAS?

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's nothing - you should read this post: 30,000 + replies

Wanna' try for a record?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Me tooโ€ฆโ€ฆ.I got lost :?
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
sonora wrote:
tplife wrote:
Lynn0527 wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
Brian-While your post is accurate you missed my point. My point is that many express alliance to the U.S.in many ways (for one trying to buy "American"-or what they perceive to be "American") yet go to a country that at the very least has governing problems and at the most is corrupt. So, instead of supporting this mess, IMHO they should support American campgrounds, restaurants, and other businesses and attractions by spending their dollars HERE.

In my mind that is the right thing to do.

There is one thing for sure - if the Mexican people could get their hands on weapons - there would be a revolution.

I have read everything that everyone has said and have done some internet research and reading some good newspapers trying to get a sense of the reality of the situation. After today and seeing that the protesters are getting more and more angry (I totally agree with them and applaud their anger), the reality is that this horrific incident is blowing up quickly and IMHO will be volatile for the next little while. I checked the Canadian government travel advisories and well I generally take then with a grain of salt, my biggest fear is being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is now a huge protest in Mexico City and the protests are spreading quickly and are being carried out across the country.

To be honest, I am not worried about myself as I can quickly get out of situations but I am worried about my New RV that could get caught up in the mix. But because I am Canadian and I need a break from our winter weather, I think I am going to head south to Arizona and New Mexico and spend my time there. Mexico will be there for me next year and the year after but right now, there is volatility and I would be honestly be a little nervous.

I was listening to a video from a respected Mexican security analyst and he'd made a very good point - because the President has gone after the cartel leaders (and many are in jail) the new federal police force (who are Canadian trained) are really cracking down and the gangs have moved into the rural areas. This has taken the fight closer to the Mexican people. There are more fights between gang members and police and there is a possibility of getting caught in the middle.

This in no way changes my mind about beautiful Mexico or the lovely people there but it does give me pause for thought. This year might not be the year to go but I have many years of RVing in front of me but I would be nervous so I think I will spend my Canadian dollars in Arizona and New Mexico this year and plan to go to Mexico another time.

Thanks for the lively debate.

Lynn

They haven't done jack, every journalist knows they and their family's safety is in jeopardy if they publish one word against the current turmoil...I love Canada and it's quiet feeling of insulated safety, teratorial control, and noble pride. We didn't quit visiting Mexico because we heard "some yahoo sayin' that...", frankly, I live right on the US/MEX border. We love Baja and her people! I didn't stop just because my buddies lost much of their pride and expensive toys - my older daughter's close friend hasn't been seen or heard of since she was a Junior in Poway High School...four years ago when she went down to "party" with her friends. My wife won't go either, not because she's "another foolish yahoo's wife", let me be perfectly honest, as a teenager, she has "hunkered in the bunker", while her city (April, 1975) was shelled by the NVA for 3 days and nights in her basement - and afterward, the folks Vice President Biden trusted as a US Senator (no guns n' butter lovie, they'll be okay) slaughtered women and children like flies in the street as the paraded in, just for sport. You can take your chances in Mexico with my prayers, just don't be stupid and ignorant. I once owned a home in Lima, Peru, and saw the impact of the Sendero Luminoso (the Chinese Communist "Shining Path") while our local Army men did all they could to protect us, and what it means to have your electrical lines dynamited, the sound and smell of TNT from terrorist bombings as the shrapnel washed the legs of the kids getting off the school bus nearby, been there, done that! We are not going to sit here and "welcome you" to our city and what lies so close nearby as if it is all okay. We've seen it, smelled it, and know it may be coming. I'd rather sit on the sandy soil of St. Lucia and say hello than ride my 'Harley a half-hour into potential hell...but it's your nickel, play what you like. ๐Ÿ™‚

:h

Yah me too. Couldn't follow it.

:?, ,
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
sonora wrote:
tplife wrote:
Lynn0527 wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
Brian-While your post is accurate you missed my point. My point is that many express alliance to the U.S.in many ways (for one trying to buy "American"-or what they perceive to be "American") yet go to a country that at the very least has governing problems and at the most is corrupt. So, instead of supporting this mess, IMHO they should support American campgrounds, restaurants, and other businesses and attractions by spending their dollars HERE.

There is one thing for sure - if the Mexican people could get their hands on weapons - there would be a revolution.

I have read everything that everyone has said and have done some internet research and reading some good newspapers trying to get a sense of the reality of the situation. After today and seeing that the protesters are getting more and more angry (I totally agree with them and applaud their anger), the reality is that this horrific incident is blowing up quickly and IMHO will be volatile for the next little while. I checked the Canadian government travel advisories and well I generally take then with a grain of salt, my biggest fear is being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is now a huge protest in Mexico City and the protests are spreading quickly and are being carried out across the country.

To be honest, I am not worried about myself as I can quickly get out of situations but I am worried about my New RV that could get caught up in the mix. But because I am Canadian and I need a break from our winter weather, I think I am going to head south to Arizona and New Mexico and spend my time there. Mexico will be there for me next year and the year after but right now, there is volatility and I would be honestly be a little nervous.

I was listening to a video from a respected Mexican security analyst and he'd made a very good point - because the President has gone after the cartel leaders (and many are in jail) the new federal police force (who are Canadian trained) are really cracking down and the gangs have moved into the rural areas. This has taken the fight closer to the Mexican people. There are more fights between gang members and police and there is a possibility of getting caught in the middle.

This in no way changes my mind about beautiful Mexico or the lovely people there but it does give me pause for thought. This year might not be the year to go but I have many years of RVing in front of me but I would be nervous so I think I will spend my Canadian dollars in Arizona and New Mexico this year and plan to go to Mexico another time.

Lynn

They haven't done jack, every journalist knows they and their family's safety is in jeopardy if they publish one word against the current turmoil...I love Canada and it's quiet feeling of insulated safety, teratorial control, and noble pride. We didn't quit visiting Mexico because we heard "some yahoo sayin' that...", frankly, I live right on the US/MEX border. We love Baja and her people! I didn't stop just because my buddies lost much of their pride and expensive toys - my older daughter's close friend hasn't been seen or heard of since she was a Junior in Poway High School...four years ago when she went down to "party" with her friends. My wife won't go either, not because she's "another foolish yahoo's wife", let me be perfectly honest, as a teenager, she has "hunkered in the bunker", while her city (April, 1975) was shelled by the NVA for 3 days and nights in her basement - and afterward, the folks Vice President Biden trusted as a US Senator (no guns n' butter lovie, they'll be okay) slaughtered women and children like flies in the street as the paraded in, just for sport. You can take your chances in Mexico with my prayers, just don't be stupid and ignorant. I once owned a home in Lima, Peru, and saw the impact of the Sendero Luminoso (the Chinese Communist "Shining Path") while our local Army men did all they could to protect us, and what it means to have your electrical lines dynamited, the sound and smell of TNT from terrorist bombings as the shrapnel washed the legs of the kids getting off the school bus nearby, been there, done that! We are not going to sit here and "welcome you" to our city and what lies so close nearby as if it is all okay. We've seen it, smelled it, and know it may be coming. I'd rather sit on the sandy soil of St. Lucia and say hello than ride my 'Harley a half-hour into potential hell...but it's your nickel, play what you like. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yah me too. Couldn't follow it.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
tplife wrote:
Lynn0527 wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:

Lynn

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
Lynn0527 wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:

Lynn

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
JefferesonCampervan

I wonder if you wouldn't mind commenting on the 90 day schengen limit and how it affected you during your travels. I know you can leave the schengen countries for 90 days and come back but this would be be tough for us. A student visa might work for us for one year but generally speaking its not a solution in the long term. You can PM me if you wish but any insite on this subject might be useful for others as well.

Thanks again.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

JeffersonCamper
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Janitzio cheesy! Surely you jest! If you start out at the bottom with one ( or 2) of those alcohol concoctions you will quickly be thinking you have discovered a real gem! It is a fun place!

Moisheh

cheesy & fun are hardly mutually exclusive! ๐Ÿ™‚
Frank in Toronto
formerly:
2 Westfalia campers (in Europe)
2 VW/Winnebago Eurovan campers
2004 Rialta HD :
Now: 2001 Hymer B654 in Europe: the "Jefferson Campervan"
The Jefferson Campervan Travel Pages

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Janitzio cheesy! Surely you jest! If you start out at the bottom with one ( or 2) of those alcohol concoctions you will quickly be thinking you have discovered a real gem! It is a fun place!

Moisheh

JeffersonCamper
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Loved it when my daughter brought me to Berne. Nine dollars plus for a cup of coffee, and almost twenty-two dollars for breakfast at a common family restaurant. We must live on different planets. The mini diesel turbocharged cars were a delight though. I just needed a suitcase packed with 100 dollar bills

I suspect that we live on the same planet!

I grant that prices for anything in Switzerland (or Scandinavia)are ridiculous. But that's comparable to extrapolating prices from a 5 Star restaurant in Mexico City. They don't reflect the culinary delight or the prices to be had, say, from carne asada cooked over an old oil drum by the side of the road - or a taco from Torito Norteno in Ciudad Oaxaca - or even that most wondrous of fast food chains: Pollo Feliz!

Eating out in most of Europe is inexpensive for the quality, as long as you avoid tourist areas (or Switzerland!), which we do. It seems like menu prices are high, but what's included in that stated price is not the same. Often overlooked is that taxes and tips are generally included in the menu price. And there is nowhere near the markup on wine & beer. And you can take your dog right into the restaurant!

That's so sad about Michoacan. Patzcuaro is a favorite destination for us. We love the Plaza Grande, the market, whitefish dinners, the campground at Villa Patzcuaro, even the rather cheesy Janitzio ...and touring the surrounding villages (bought several incredible masks from Juan Horta in Tocuaro before he passed away).
Frank in Toronto
formerly:
2 Westfalia campers (in Europe)
2 VW/Winnebago Eurovan campers
2004 Rialta HD :
Now: 2001 Hymer B654 in Europe: the "Jefferson Campervan"
The Jefferson Campervan Travel Pages

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Loved it when my daughter brought me to Berne. Nine dollars plus for a cup of coffee, and almost twenty-two dollars for breakfast at a common family restaurant. We must live on different planets. The mini diesel turbocharged cars were a delight though. I just needed a suitcase packed with 100 dollar bills.

The "issues" in Mexico are going to intensify. You haven't got a clue as to how rapidly the problems of the disappeared are going viral. Thousands upon thousands of disappeared in just two neighboring states - Guerrero and Michoacan. Wait until Sinaloa, Durango, Tamaulipas, and Coahuila, join the fray.

There is going to be hell to pay and the midget and the actress living in Los Pinos are part of the problem not part of the answer. Replacing Municipio cops with state cops is like replacing Louie to Louse on the street corner with machine gun Kelley and Al Capone.

Woowie, it's going to be a ride...