Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1978 Chevy 30 motorhome

Tannerwilliams
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at an 18 foot Chevy motorhome with a 350 big block, I can't find any specs on the motor or chassis but does anyone know if it would be possible to dinghy tow my Jeep Wrangler?
23 REPLIES 23

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you live where you have to do smog tests I'd stay far far away from older MH's with carberated motor's especially the Dodge ones!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Tannerwilliams wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at an 18 foot Chevy motorhome with a 350 big block, I can't find any specs on the motor or chassis but does anyone know if it would be possible to dinghy tow my Jeep Wrangler?

Short answer is no, as mentioned in all the above posts.

What 'year' MH are you looking at? What's your price range?

There are a ton of older MH's in the 90 years for sale with the Ford V10, which is what you ARE going to need to pull the jeep.

Most C's 'with the bigger engine' are rated for 6,000 lbs but NO ONE pulls that much weight it just too much weight. Most of us like to stick to towing cars that weigh around 3,000 lbs.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Tannerwilliams wrote:
@milehigh- that's what I thought too so I'm assuming the owner, an 80 year man, must have poor information. @braindead well I was trying to find out as I am supposed to go see it tomorrow but it's two and a half hours away, does anyone know if something a little lager such as an older 24 foot, have a little more chance of the capability?

There were a lot of the Dodge 360, 440 as well in the 24 foot. The 440 just used more gas, not really a big change in power. I wouldn't recommend those either. They may have pulled a Jeep or two, but the old CJ that weighed in at 2,200 lbs. That Wrangler starts at 3,500 or the new ones a little over 4,000 lbs.

If you can find a V10 Ford or the Chev Workhorse, I would think you would be fine but that is going to be a newer rig.

(I stand corrected on the 400 being a small block)
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
FYI -- 350 and 400 are small blocks. That is, dimensionaly the block is "smaller". belairbrian is correct with his big block list.

By the way, belair brian, I have a '62 impala with the 283. Off topic....

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
At that time the once powerful chevy small block was suffering under government emisson regulations and would make under 200hp.

Of course if you can buy cheap enough to build a proper small block anything is possible. The last 350 I built made just shy of 350 hp.

Chevy big blocks include the 396, 402, 427, 454, 496 and 502.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
I would say no. That 350 is doing what it can to move the motorhome without the Jeep. 350 is a small block, unless there is something unique about the MH engines. A big block might be a 454 or 400.

I believe the 350 and 400 are Small Block engines.
And, I agree, the 350 is probably maxed out just moving the motorhome.
Hopefully someone has better info.

Tannerwilliams
Explorer
Explorer
@milehigh- that's what I thought too so I'm assuming the owner, an 80 year man, must have poor information. @braindead well I was trying to find out as I am supposed to go see it tomorrow but it's two and a half hours away, does anyone know if something a little lager such as an older 24 foot, have a little more chance of the capability?

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
I spent a lot of time trying to find a smaller motorhome that'd tow my wrangler without any luck. Generally manufacturers seem to put in the lightest chassis/engine combination they can get away with. Not always of course, but I can't imagine that being capable. There should be a plate somewhere listing weight ratings I'd think?
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I would say no. That 350 is doing what it can to move the motorhome without the Jeep. 350 is a small block, unless there is something unique about the MH engines. A big block might be a 454 or 400.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed