cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1997 american eagle vs 2000 monaco diplomat

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
looking for input on purchasing either dp. the eagle is a 40ft evs with 101 k very good shape.( like new ) it has the c block cummings. 325 horse power. the monaco has the 315 with 88 k and is in good shape any imput would be great first time buyer's
16 REPLIES 16

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Think you did well on that choice.

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the info & input. we bought the eagle today & taking delivery tomorrow. 1st time driving a coach it went very well & was quite easy. the only tricky part was telling the differanc between the brake pedal & go pedal by foot feel but that will come with time

thanks

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Eagle.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much .

We will see if we cant check out more info on the records. hope there are some.
My gut was leaning toward the Eagle.
When we saw it, it was so clean inside and out couln't believe the age. The only give away was the lower ceiling. To my untrained eye.

The cabinets, shower furniture etc. even the basement storage was really clean with what appeared to be next to no wear .I looked to see if it appeared to have been fixed up for sale .Everthing seemed to be original from what i could tell.(from looking at others on line).
The mechanical is another story not knowing much about dps. It started right up no smoke .
One never knows, but we would be in a pickle if the engine whent .We would be back in a tent for some time. That said i still feel good about the eagle.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Id go with the Eagle
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
HERE is your best response of all. I own a Monaco DP and would take the Eagle over the Diplomat all day long, IF it is the floor plan you want.
FormerBoater wrote:
The Eagle was the flagship of the American Coach/Fleetwood DP line-up in 97.

Only the best available materials and components were used, they are basically "overbuilt" and designed to be very easy to operate. They are one big "Easy Button" to own, operate and maintain.

At 101K the engine is just broken in, tranmission the same. If the house items show no wear that is a prime indicator of being well looked after IMHO.

The pantograph cargo doors, excellent thermal and acoustical insulation on the Eagles are a plus. Most Eagles came with upgraded furniture, sliding cargo trays etc.

The mechanical Cummins C8.3 engine is an excellent powerplant.

Check the Eagle's ball-joints and it should basically pass muster as a rust free and leak free coach.

As a vintage Eagle owner I am not objective....just been real pleased with our first and last coach.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know where the Diplomat fits in the Monico line, but the Eagle was at the top of the American Coach line. New ones today are $600k plus.
2014 American Eagle

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no fear on milage. In fact that is low milage for a driven coach. I have 159k plus on mine and will turn 160k in a week on my next trip. The one that gas the best records and floorplan. The fridge will go in both of them sooner or later and a residential is cheaper and easier to replace.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
The Eagle was the flagship of the American Coach/Fleetwood DP line-up in 97.

Only the best available materials and components were used, they are basically "overbuilt" and designed to be very easy to operate. They are one big "Easy Button" to own, operate and maintain.

At 101K the engine is just broken in, tranmission the same. If the house items show no wear that is a prime indicator of being well looked after IMHO.

The pantograph cargo doors, excellent thermal and acoustical insulation on the Eagles are a plus. Most Eagles came with upgraded furniture, sliding cargo trays etc.

The mechanical Cummins C8.3 engine is an excellent powerplant.

Check the Eagle's ball-joints and it should basically pass muster as a rust free and leak free coach.

As a vintage Eagle owner I am not objective....just been real pleased with our first and last coach.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I've been doing tons of research on very similar age models in preparation of buying someday. From what I've gathered I'd be most interested in service history and usage history. Did one get 75K miles in two years and then sat idle for 5 years? If so, not good of course. The actual miles are close enough to be a non-factor to me. All other things being equal I'd opt for the newer one just since it's 3 years newer. But mostly it would depend on the floor plan I wanted and just my gut instinct of how well it had been cared for (along with the records you can get, of course).

Take your time and do lots of research. It will payoff in the end.

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
thank you for your much appreciated input

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the one I liked best. Miles are equal on both.

The one showing interior wear you can bet has been lived in for longer periods of time.

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
I would not consider the difference in miles a factor, that seems very close to me, and both reflect some reasonable use. Good would be evidence of regular use with no extended periods of sitting. Better would be that evidence AND full documentation of maintenance. Tires should be reflected in the price, they should not be more than seven years old - might reflect neglect in other areas.

The anti-freeze tank probably just succumbed to sun damage. I replaced one on a friend's coach, after I put my fingers through it.

Unlike the post above, (and all respect to the poster), I would not worry too much about appliances. They wear, they fail. They can be replaced with a stop at a RV center and a charge card. A fridge won't be cheap, but it won't be like a failed engine either.

When you begin enjoying your new coach, start a log. Document everything you do to it, oil change, tightened bolt,greased fitting, part numbers, phone numbers for sources, stuff you hear or find on the net. When you sell, the next newbie will think you are a god.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the info .
we are trying to decide which direction to go.
What should we look for in a diesel pusher.
The american eagle shows next to no wear on interior and exterior.But has 101k miles
The Diplomat has some wear with heavy wear on seats and sofa needs to be replaced. It has 88k miles Owner says the antifreeze holding tank was replaced do to erosion.
Is this something to be concerned about?