cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First cross country road trip - HELP

cr3ativegirl
Explorer
Explorer
My parents literally just bought a new $100k 25' RV and are ready to hop in and drive cross country from SC to BC, Canada. (We will be there and they want to join us). My dad went to pick it up and already had an accident driving it off the parking lot and needed the whole side redone and a new door put on ($7k). I think they went and did some practice lessons, and they think they are ready to go. I've tried to explain to them that people spend months and months mapping out and planning these types of trips. They have two yorkies and plan on bringing them (that's a whole different story!)....Very nervous for the outcome.
31 REPLIES 31

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
If your Dad has a back up camera in his coach, before making any turns if you can see any objects that you just passed in the back up camera, then it's O.K. to make a left or right hand turn and you won't hit or side swipe anything. If your Dad doesn't have a back up camera please disregard! When crossing at the Canadian Border you will need a enhanced drivers license or a passport, title of vehicle or current vehicle registration, proof of insurance and if you have pets you will need a current health report from your Vet on each animal that they are up to date on all shots. If anyone has had a DWI in there past they will not be allowed to enter into Canada and lastly, if you travel with a firearm on your person or in your coach you will not be allowed to enter into Canada. Hope this info will help you!

tyaughton
Explorer
Explorer
They will need passports entering and leaving Canada or the US

jllarson3
Explorer
Explorer
Kids...! They think us old parents are senile and incapable of rational thought or good sense. And that our thoughts wander, or that... ?

What was the question>

Oh yeah...

They'll be fine. They aren't your kids. In fact, they might even have already done such a trip in their youth - and never told you about it! YIKES!

Ask them to help you feel better with routine contact, not that you're worried or anything... Hahaha...

John L

tyaughton
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a 6 week trip, from west, to east, south, west and north again. Arrived home in BC on Saturday. My only suggestion is to avoid I-84 from New York to Pennsylvania (Scranton, specifically). That is the worst piece of road I've ever been on. Even the potholes in Cleveland were better. 55mph is a nice pace.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, maybe it's just their time to be fun and reckless again, and it's your turn to watch the kids and to be responsible. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Pass on my good wishes and happy travels. Nothing worst then sitting around in God's little waiting room. Hope to see them on the road.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
They will be fine. Good advice here. The RV is only a foot or two bigger then a long bed crew cab dually pickup. Watch for winds and go.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

cr3ativegirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice. I feel like I have a new group of parents who actually listen to me!!! LOL. Seriously, I'm taking all the advice to heart - I'm letting go and installing the tracker. ๐Ÿ™‚

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
They should probably notify their credit card company and inform them that they will be traveling though many states and out of the country.

We have to notify ours because they shut it off, thinking someone has stolen it.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Well, our plans just changed. We left Fall City WA this morning just after we found out that my wife has shingles. The change in plans is that we will spend a few weeks in Blaine WA before resuming our trip to Alaska and we still do not know where we will be going in BC

It was mentioned that your parents are taking their two dogs into BC. Make sure that they have the dogs examined by a vet just before they leave. If they will be entering BC within 30 days have them get a health certificate from the vet. They also need to make sure all vaccinations are up to date and they must keep the shot records with them. We've never had to show the health certificate or shot records but they may ask for them.

They must have a current passport to enter back into the states. From what I understand there are other doc's that are less expensive but I only know about the passport.

As others have told you, they will be fine.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the nice things about an RV trip is it actually takes very little planning. They know where they want to go and the way to get there, just start driving. When you're tired, pull over and rest. If you can find an RV park to spend the night in that's always great, but if not a Walmart parking lot works great too on cross country trips.

I'm one of those RVer's who does very little planning. My last cross-country trip I wanted to make it to Oshkosh Wisconsin from California, but I had a pinched nerve in my back. So the plan was start driving and if the back started bothering me too bad we'd spend two weeks wherever it was I could make it too. Turns out we made all the way to Oshkosh and back.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Four things they'll need if they are simply getting in and going:

1. Credit card with medium to high limits.
2. Good Sam or CoachNet subscription for road service.
3. Cell phone to call with in case of an emergency.
4. Directions to the nearest Wal*Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's or Cracker Barrel store in case they have no other place to go.

RVing, like life, is an adventure...let them live theirs.........Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Norm___Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Tell them to NEVER EVER get in a hurry, no matter who or what is waiting for them. Most people are understanding. Never drive tired and until they get some experience, try to limit nighttime driving.
Norm

2001 Monaco Knight 38' DP Triple Slide
2001 4WD Blazer in back

"Everything I will ever tell you will be 100% the truth, or would be 100% the truth if it actually happened."

Beacher
Explorer
Explorer
They will be fine!

I just visited my local RV dealership for warranty work and there were three RVs in line this morning with very recent side body damage. Two Class A, and one big Class C.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you father is not the only one who has made that very mistake. But in saying that a lot of people should not be driving let alone a big MH. can't tall you how many times I have been forced off the road, even on the freeways they just don't know their limits and don't look in the mirrors or what not. getting forced off the road at 75 MPH is not fun. Like the sign says about congressman. there are people in congress running this government that should not even be allowed to play with matches.