Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1997 Coachman Catalina Water Heater

mcphail1701
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I am stumped on an issue with my hot water. When the propane heater is switch on, it runs from hot, cold, hot, cold - never consistently warm. I am not sure what could be wrong. If anyone can point me in the right direction to diagnose this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

I own a 1997 coachman catalina sport (class C) https://coachmenrv.com/OwnersManuals/14186021.pdf
7 REPLIES 7

mcphail1701
Explorer
Explorer
No outdoor shower- I fixed the problem. When you install a new water pump, the pressure needs to be adjusted so that the water flow is consistent. It was not consistent, causing the water to cycle from hot to cold & so on. ??

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have an outdoor shower? If so, check to make sure that it is turned off at the valves and not just at the shower head.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
The by pass valve is behind the water heater. You might need to open a drawer or open a cabinet or open an inside storage area to reach behind the water heater. You might need a new thermostat which can be replaced on the outside of the water heater. The thermostat looks like two metal buttons usually one on top of the other.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if your not sure? trial an error will help. most times this turns out to be a simple fix .

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look at page 28 of the owner's manual for valves and position.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mcphail1701
Explorer
Explorer
Are these the valves under the bedding area? I know that one opens & empties the fresh water, but I do not know what the other two are. They are not labeled.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
check your by pass valve not closed. cold water is getting into your hot line, a valve not shut ,a mixing valve open etc. a faucet screen clogged and valve open?