cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1998 Roadtrek 190 Dodge Chassis

Jonathan_Clemen
Explorer
Explorer
I am a newbie on this forum and a newbie in terms of RVing. My wife and I would like to to some traveling with our two small dogs and think that a Class B RV would be adequate for our needs and within our our budget. We are leaning toward getting a good used vehicle. A neighbor has a 1998 Roadtrek 190 on a Dodge Chassis that has about 30,000 miles. The seller says they bought it new and have stored it inside when not used. It's the asking price we are concerned about: $17,000. It is clean and well maintained. I looked the vehicle up on NADA and tried to get some idea of a fair price on this. NADA doesn't seem to take mileage into account. The closest I can come to an average retail price is $10,670. I'd appreciate any suggestions that forum members might have.
31 REPLIES 31

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
1998 is now 15 years old despite the mileage. Even when it is stored inside and used infrequently, this puts stress on things like the A/C, tires, drying and cracking of rubber hoses and gaskets, etc. You would need to have this RV gone over by an RV dealership that does careful assessments of functionality or the RV portion, and then a mechanic who looks at the function of the truck itself. Just mileage and "appearance" cannot be used to determine price. You need to know the "lifespan" of things like the refrigerator and how much a replacement would be, the lifespan of the generator and how much a replacement would be, etc. etc. I am sure there is a checklist online, but a good RV dealership is essential unless you have that kind of knowledge to do it yourself.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
When it comes to used Class Bs, many folks think the NADA numbers are, shall we say, not particularly accurate.

IMHO, if one is either buying, or selling, a used Class B, the "right" price is the one the buyer and seller agree on.

Clean, cared for, used Class Bs are scarce as hen's teeth. When one comes "on the market", sometimes they don't last hours, or a few days at most. When, or if, you find one that meets your requirements, then it's between just you and the seller. If you're both comfy with the price, deal done. If one or the other isn't, well, 'tis no deal.

As you're new to this forum, I might suggest you search, read, and read some more. There have been numerous threads about buying used Class Bs.

Hope you find just the right one for you.

Cheers.