cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Koni FSD shocks

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
I heard these were much smoother running so ordered and had installed them...they are as hard riding as the Bilstein's...Can they be softened Up???
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Honda Element following us :W
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
:C Rallys attended
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Quartzite, Az. '10...but not again:R
Good Sams "The Rally" Redmond Or. '11
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013
25 REPLIES 25

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Slight over inflation on tires should not be a huge issue, and shooting high is probably a wise choice. The context of asking the weight has more to do with the spring rate on a W22 compared to how much the coach actually weighs. I remember when talking to the Allegro Rep when my parents were shopping. The looked at a non-slide 34 foot coach. The Rep stated they would not put that coach on a W22 because it was too stiff and would hurt the ride. They ended up with a 34 foot with 2 slides on the W22. So that really is the context of the question, is the total weight of the coach close enough to the chassis load rating?
IRV2

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
Daveinet wrote:
Gdlow wrote:
Daveinet wrote:
My guess is the stiff ride you are complaining about has nothing to do with the shocks. Even though your profile does not state it, I would be willing to bet your coach is on a Ford chassis. If I'm right, that should tell you a lot about why the ride is harsh.
It's on the Workhorse chassis
I missed your reply from the first time around. I'm a bit surprised that the Workhorse has a harsh ride with Konis. My parents have a 2004 Workhorse chassis motorhome. It originally had Monroes on it, which handled poorly and road bad. Workhorse recalled the shocks, and installed Bilsteins. At the time, there was significant discussion here on RVnet about Koni FSD, vs Bilstein, and at that time, the consensus was pretty strong toward Koni having a much better/softer ride than Bilstein. I run FSDs on my coach. I found they have almost no compression damping, which makes for a really soft ride. The handling control is from the rebound damping. Have you ever weighed the coach? Maybe it is just too light for a W22.

I currently run 95#'s in front/rear...had weighed (individual wheels)and the recommendation was for 85#'s...So maybe a little over, but didn't want to error on side of under inflation with the heat...The rebound is a big improvement when going thru areas where a dip in a street would keep on a rockin with the Bilstein's...
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Gdlow wrote:
Daveinet wrote:
My guess is the stiff ride you are complaining about has nothing to do with the shocks. Even though your profile does not state it, I would be willing to bet your coach is on a Ford chassis. If I'm right, that should tell you a lot about why the ride is harsh.
I missed your reply from the first time around. I'm a bit surprised that the Workhorse has a harsh ride with Konis. My parents have a 2004 Workhorse chassis motorhome. It originally had Monroes on it, which handled poorly and road bad. Workhorse recalled the shocks, and installed Bilsteins. At the time, there was significant discussion here on RVnet about Koni FSD, vs Bilstein, and at that time, the consensus was pretty strong toward Koni having a much better/softer ride than Bilstein. I run FSDs on my coach. I found they have almost no compression damping, which makes for a really soft ride. The handling control is from the rebound damping. Have you ever weighed the coach? Maybe it is just too light for a W22.
IRV2

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
What Brett suggested is true. You want to be careful increasing the spring rate on one side, especially on the front. Unbalancing the spring rate is helpful in a race car that only turns left, but not recommended to one that is required to turn both left and right.

If the difference is great enough to require a spring leaf be added to level, you should locate a spring company and explain the problem, and have them make a new set, if they will do it.
Wildmanbaker

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Curing a lean on a leaf spring coach can be reasonably easily cured.

In most cases, as plate can be installed between the axle and spring to raise that corner of the coach. If a material difference side to side, might add a leaf.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildmanbaker wrote:
This is also why a lot of Ford chassis MHs lean to the passenger side.
So it's not my Navigator causing the lean?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Gdlow wrote:
I heard these were much smoother running so ordered and had installed them...they are as hard riding as the Bilstein's...Can they be softened Up???

Not all folks who've installed the FSD's on their coaches experience any ride improvement however we sure did on our Ford Chassis.

If your's is a workhorse it most likely came with bilsteins. Just curious, how much air pressure in your tires?

Depending on the load range of your tires, and the weight of your coach, you may be able to lower the pressure, however it's important to get your coach weighed first, then based on axle weight check the tire manufacturers "Load Inflation Chart" before reducing any air pressure.

Good luck in softening up your ride and keep us posted on your progress..

Safe travels..
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, difficult to tell sometimes whether harsh ride from stiff springs (no or little deflection over bumps) or bottoming out.

Wildman's diagnostic tool is a good one.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Dale Traveling is probably correct suspecting the Ford chassis bottoming out. To check if this is happing, get some kids modeling clay, form it to the bump stop snubber with tape, and go for a ride. You will probably find the clay completely mashed-out when you get back and check. Contrary to popular belief, Ford made their springs very soft, for a better ride, which allows the bottoming to cause a harsh ride. This is also why a lot of Ford chassis MHs lean to the passenger side.
Wildmanbaker

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
Diplomat Don wrote:
Gdlow.....What color were they"
I would say they are somewhat of a gold color
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
Daveinet wrote:
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
As I've read these posts over the years, the trend seems to be that people like the Bilsteins better on gas coaches and the Koni FSD's on DP's.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed Koni's on the front this past spring replacing the factory installed Blistein's. The rear has year old Blistein's. 2006 18K (15K rolling weight) F53 chassis. There was some difference in performance on minor bumps but a hard jolt is about the same. I do notice a bit less dish rattle when the coach front axle hits something as compared to when the rear axle hits the same.

Has anyone ever determined what the front and rear ride height should be for a F53? The Ford specs are for a stripped chassis but what is it once they build a house on it? Wonder how much I might be bottoming out causing the harsh ride.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
My tires are not over inflated and the ride with the OEM Monroe shocks was softer with the same pressures than the Koni FSDs.
The Monroe shocks had a disconcerting large downward excursion on certain road dips that upset a lot of folks. Workhorse was trying to duplicate the ride of a DP with air suspension and except for the downward excursion did a pretty good job. The Koni shocks did eliminate the excursion but the ride suffered.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad