cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1999 American Dream purchase

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
I just sold my 2005 Winnebago Journey and I came across a 1999 American Dream with 28000 miles, stored indoors all its life.
Can anyone offer any advice regarding quality, and/or the wisdom (or lack of it) in buying a coach this old?
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy
26 REPLIES 26

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Really nice, looks like new, enjoy!!!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Ro646a wrote:
Well I went to look at the coach anyway and I'm glad I did. I bought it right on the spot. It is the most flawless, well maintained coach I have ever seen. Now I have to change my signature.

Congrats....
For beginners, check closely with the first rain storm and if it's always been stored inside, as you say.
As for the coach itself, I'd rather have a low mileage unit, regardless of some possible lot rot.
It's all about the money and not knowing the price, it's relative now.
It it's without any slides, then it's value, is considerably less and the single most thing affecting it's book value.
They're easy to buy right and hard to sell, usually, so again, it's all relative.
It's really to one's advantage, if they can do without the extra room and for buying a really nice coach for next to nothing.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful rig!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your comments and advice. Been on 4 trips now with this coach and we love it. I think I finally figured out how to add a photo. I hope it works.

Thanks again,
Roland

Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
More pics when you can! I think I saw it's twin being pulled out of a garage at our storage area the other day. I was in awe how clean it was (made me want to get mine detailed). Unfortunately I think he had just sold it to someone (other than me :))
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations Roland, looks and seems like a great find. Thank you to all those of you who posted is such wonderful ways, especially "Thanks to Larry Cad", you really set the tone of the thread.

Happy Turkey Day wherever you may be this coming holiday.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your decision to make the purchase.

Our Eagle is older than your Dream and we just passed 100K on the clock after almost 10 years of ownership.

These vintage Americans are very solid in design, construction and quality of materials used.

Enjoy!!!!
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

ourjeeps
Explorer
Explorer
Ro646a congratulations on your new acquisition!

We previously has a nice late 90's Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour DP w/Freightliner chassis w/Cummins and Allison World Trans. We just made a pre-retirement/retirement transition to a high-line DP for some "real" RV trips.

We have always liked Winnebago from a value, product, and parts-support standpoint. The American Coach products do offer a premium decor and feature level beyond the Winnebago and Fleetwood product lines.

The GOOD news is if you shop/search hard, there are many great, low-mileage, inside-stored, well-cared-for, luxury rigs offered at decent prices...

... But the SAD news is many of the sales we came across were health-driven (either serious or worse, terminal), what we'd call unfortunate or premature sales.

So the lesson is, as uncertain as health and illness are - Don't wait too long to retire in decent health, or buy and travel in that "rig of your dreams!"

Wishing all forum members the best of health, and the safest of travels.
American Coach American Dream 42G diesel pusher
F-350 PSD CC LB Dually w/Bigfoot 1500 9.5
Jeeps & Dogs
Good Sam Charter Life Member
God Bless America & Our Troops Overseas!!!

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
Ro646a wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I swear some of you people would find fault with anything.

I had already planned to replace the tires. The owner just had all the fluids changed and everything checked out, and a set of new batteries.
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I swear some of you people would find fault with anything.

I had already planned to replace the tires. The owner hust had small the fluids changed and everything checked out, and a set of new batteries.
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
time_to_go_now wrote:
Ro646a wrote:
Well I went to look at the coach anyway and I'm glad I did. I bought it right on the spot. It is the most flawless, well maintained coach I have ever seen. Now I have to change my signature.

Just curious. Why are you back in a rig so soon after selling the Journey? Why get rid of the Journey?

The Journey was a great coach, but we didn't like the floor plan after spending the entire winter in it in Florida. Otherwise, it was fine.
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
Here it is in my new signature pic. I don't know how to post a large picture here.
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
That's a awesome coach.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods