cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2000 Ford F53, V10 cranks but not starting, & solution

ressless1
Explorer
Explorer
2000 F53 V10 not starting, and solution.

I am posting this in hopes that it will help others, and to invite comments as to what I could have done better. I am sorry for the length. If only interested in the solution, skip to the end.

My RV is a 2001 Pace Arrow, on a 2000 Ford F53 chassis, with a V10 and 65000 miles. I had just filled the tank with non ethanol fuel 3 weeks ago, and still have approximately 70 gallons on board.

We used it three weeks ago and then stored it at the campground. On arriving for a long weekend, temperature in the upper 80s, found that the motor would turn over fine, but it would not start. And the steps would not extend.

After trying it several times, wiggling fuses and trying it again, I towed the RV with my pickup truck to our reserved site, set up, and with the A/C on, pulled out the manuals while the family headed to the pool.

I did have internet service, one reason I reserve this particular site, and proceeded to read several posts online that indicated a probable fuel pump issue, with the pump being in the tank. I did a quick check of fuses with an ohm meter and found all seemly OK.

Looking at the fuel tank, I realize there are not only 4 large straps holding it in place, but also another cross member bolted in to support the rear jacks that would have to be removed to drop the tank, and the jacks removed as well.

I took a five mile trip to Oโ€™Rileyโ€™s Auto Parts and bought a fuel pressure gauge, a battery charger, and a can of starting fluid, all the time thinking about the campgroundโ€™s policy of no repair work on the property, and would it be conceivable to cut an access hole in the floor.

After connecting the gauge to the fuel rail, I confirm I have zero fuel pressure. Continuing through the manual and finding more information on the internet, I check the emergency power switch to the fuel pump, located right where it is supposed to be, beside the steering column. It is OK. I swap the relays for the fuel pump and I think the driving lights or horn, which are both in the power control box under the hood. The status remains the same.

After trying to start the motor again, the steps starting working. I discount this, as I have had a couple minor problems with the steps in the past, so I believe this is a separate issue.

At this point, our guests for the weekend arrive, so I put the testing aside for the evening and regroup.

The next morning, with a freshly charged battery, and trying to figure out how to confirm there is power to the fuel pump, I get around to trying to start the motor with the starting fluid. Nothing, no popping, backfiring, or even a hint of fire. I pull the number 5 coil pack and put a spare spark plug on it and confirm, no spark.
I am dismayed that I have another problem, but at the same time happy that perhaps the fuel pump is OK.

Back to the manual and internet. I find that a PCM module controls power to the fuel pump and ignition. I check the fuses to the PCM. It is OK. I swap the relay that provides power to the PCM with the relay for the heater blower motor.

This time, the motor fires up in 5 seconds, music to my ears! And better yet, the fan blower now does NOT work! Finally, I have a bad FAOB-14B192-AA relay
Jerry and Diane
2001 Pace Arrow 34N F53 V10
2005 Harley Davidson Road Glide(mine)
1998 Honda Shadow 1100 Tourer(hers)
2001 Crest Pontoon(ours)
12 REPLIES 12

ressless1
Explorer
Explorer
tommykelly:
The relay is in the power distribution center, a collection of fuses and relays in the engine compartment. On my F53 chassis it is right in the middle, at eye level, hard to miss, and it is relay number 6 I believe.

Try the picture now, I tried to change the properties.
Jerry and Diane
2001 Crest Pontoon(ours)

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
where is this relay located ...engine compartment?

did not have permission to view your photo...but the location
would be a great help

very good article...thanks

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you found the problem and even better is that you posted your find. Thanks for sharing.

ressless1
Explorer
Explorer
"And the rest of the story", as Paul Harvey would say.

I got the rig home and still had the bad relay in the tool box. I decided to open it up before tossing it to see if I could see what went bad.
What I found surprised the heck out of me, ANTS.
The whole case was full of small red ants, the little fire ants found in South Carolina. They were between the contacts and completely filled the inside of the case.

Photo of relay
Jerry and Diane
2001 Crest Pontoon(ours)

ressless1
Explorer
Explorer
zman-az wrote:
Could be bad computer, it tells the pump when to turn on, control spark, ect. Does this rv have a OBDII port. Get a scan tool and see if you can talk to the computer. Another thing could be a kill switch. I don't know if rv's have them but cars do. When they get in accidents the switch kills the computer and has to be reset.

ZMAN-AZ.
Had swapping the computer power relay and the heater blower fan relay not cured my problem, I think a bad computer would have been the prime suspect.
But I don't know how to test it, or where to locate it.

What I needed was a step by step trouble shooting process to solve a no start problem, but I couldn't find one.
I bought the RV used and the only manuals I have are what I could piece meal from online and print out, not complete by any means.
Jerry and Diane
2001 Crest Pontoon(ours)

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
If you read the OP's post to the end, you will see what the problem was......NOT the computer.

All I read was that he checked the fuse, that does not mean the PCM is good.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry,
Thanks for the detailed report that included the fix. This could help others troubleshoot their own no start problems.
Wildmanbaker

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
zman-az wrote:
Could be bad computer, it tells the pump when to turn on, control spark, ect. Does this rv have a OBDII port. Get a scan tool and see if you can talk to the computer. Another thing could be a kill switch. I don't know if rv's have them but cars do. When they get in accidents the switch kills the computer and has to be reset.

If you read the OP's post to the end, you will see what the problem was......NOT the computer.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing happen month or so ago and it was the fuel pump which is inside the fuel tank. Did you check the emergency fuel shut that is on all Fords don't know where yours would be possibly under the dash on the drivers side. My pump was replaced by a shop the pump is about $500.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
No one expects a relay to go bad. Sometimes with the relay removed from the vehicle and jumper wire you can make them click for testing purposes.