cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2003 Newmar Mountainaire

dfarner
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a 2003 Newmar Mountainaire with 8.4 vortec. Has anyone driven this motorhome while towing? Concerned about the power to travel over mountain terrain or long inclines. There did not seem to be a lot of power just driving on the straight road. Thanks for any input.
8 REPLIES 8

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
"CCC" indeed means cargo carrying capacity or something very similar. There should be a weight sticker somewhere in the motorhome that gives the factory weights and chassis capacities and lists the carrying capacity. Often it's in the back of a cabinet or closet. The precise form (and some of the acronyms and math used) has varied over time, based on e.g. whether passenger weight is included in the carrying capacity and similar things. The basic underlying math and concepts have not, of course.

It's a good plan to weigh your RV yourself rather than relying on the factory weights to be correct. This is doubly true if it's used since maintenance, accessories, and modifications can change the weight--usually towards getting heavier.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Can somebody convert CCC to English for me?

based on this last comment, I think it is cargo carrying capacity?
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I had one of those and wish I still had it. The 6 steps into it were my downfall. We did not have the basement full but never had a problem with the weight. I had it weighed at our local grain scale by individual wheels and with full water and ready to go we were a good 150# under the limit. I could always travel with less water to give more CCC. We always had a car behind and averaged a little over 8 mpg for the 11 years we had it.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Can somebody convert CCC to English for me?

dfarner
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all your replies. This is a sweet unit, but just didnt seem to have any get up and go. was not even towing or on an incline. guess we are still looking!

billsenick
Explorer
Explorer
Lack of CCC !! That is why we purchased our 2003 Kountry Star 3740 custom build which now has over 120K and still to this day gets great comments, oh and by the way it's a 8.1 Vortec (Chevy)and if the unit you are looking at seems low on power there is something definitely wrong, I would move on to another unit.

Bought a newer Essex which we love but I have kept the Kountry Star which we use for shorter trips to the horse shows. Love my Newmars.
Bill Senick
2011 Newmar Essex 4524
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3740

bobcatcharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Had an 03 Mountain Aire, 3778 Towed a car from Michigan to Alaska and back plus the Canadian Maritimes. Not a problem. Traveled with several diesel buddies, not a problem. Hills on my tach. 3200, there's 1600. that's the only difference. We loved ours. Just wanted bigger, you know.
2004 Dutch Star

Bruce_Brown
Be sure to check the CCC. Those were pretty heavy. We looked at a new MA back in '03 and it only had about 900# of CCC.

Power should be fine.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910