Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 F53 vs newer 2015 F53 Chassis

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all.

I'm thinking about trading my 2005 Sightseer 29R in on a 2016 Sightseer 33C.

I'm seeking comments from people who own a newer Sightseer or those with a newer F53 chassis.

Has Ford improved the F53 chassis handling characteristics over the past ten years? I see that 22.5 wheels are now available. Does the larger wheels make any difference?

Safe travels.

JD
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy
9 REPLIES 9

reboo349
Explorer
Explorer
Just traded a 2005(on 04 chassis) for a 2015, old one was a 18500 19.5 tires, new coach (a Thor Challenger) is a 22000 on 22.5 tires a world of difference in the ride and handling, before when a semi would pass it would push me all over the road, now don't hardly notice them when they pass only thing I don't like is engine noise, but that is Thor not Ford like going from a VW dune buggy to a Cadillac, really like the pass thru storage in the new coach

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowboat. wrote:
Rwake901 wrote:
Yellowboat. wrote:
Hi all.

I'm seeking comments from people who own a newer Sightseer or those with a newer F53 chassis.

Has Ford improved the F53 chassis handling characteristics over the past ten years? I see that 22.5 wheels are now available. Does the larger wheels make any difference?

Safe travels.

JD

Since your worried about handling. We just purchased a new 2015 Allegro Open Road. As an option Tiffin offers "Sumo Springs" which the dealer told us about and recommended. We test drove our model without the Sumo Springs first and then test drove our model with them. OMG it was night and day difference! Without them it was top heavy and I was all over the road every time the wind would blow or a truck would pass. With them gone was the top heavy feeling and it handles great. It was like a $1200.00 option but in my opinion WELL worth the money.

Thanks for the info. We are active in WIT (Winnebago Itasca Travelers) RV club and we must own a Winnebago product to belong. I hear nothing but good things about the Tiffin products and support.

You can buy the Sumo Springs as an after market option too and have them installed on your Winnebago.

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
My 2013 handles like a dream. I previously had a 1996 F53. My first thoughts were the wheels must be the difference.

My current coach is built on the newer F-53 (2006) chassis with 19.5 tires. It has handled pretty well for the most part. Trucks would push a little when passing and 30mph + side winds could be fatiguing. When compared to my older Dodge Class C my F-53 chassis also drives great.

When I replaced my factory tires, after 7.5 years of use, with new tires that were 4 months old at the time of installation, I had a lot of problems. With my new tires my MH would follow every defect in the road. Trucks pushed me almost off the road. And, most disturbing, at odd times my coach would dodge left or right. My only change was new tires. I did all of the usual things. I checked and set air pressure. The tire installer set the tire pressure to max tire pressure. That didn’t help so I had my alignment checked. It was still good. Next I added sway, trac, and steering suspension upgrades. They help me tame the worst of my problems but I would still get the occasional dodge at odd times. Finally, after about 1,500 miles and 6 months on my new tires they calmed down and now ride great. And with the suspension upgrades I can now hardly feel when a truck passes and side winds are less fatiguing.

I plan on transferring my suspension upgrades to a new coach if I decide to purchase one now.

Thanks for the info.
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
Rwake901 wrote:
Yellowboat. wrote:
Hi all.

Safe travels.

JD

Since your worried about handling. We just purchased a new 2015 Allegro Open Road. As an option Tiffin offers "Sumo Springs" which the dealer told us about and recommended. We test drove our model without the Sumo Springs first and then test drove our model with them. OMG it was night and day difference! Without them it was top heavy and I was all over the road every time the wind would blow or a truck would pass. With them gone was the top heavy feeling and it handles great. It was like a $1200.00 option but in my opinion WELL worth the money.

Thanks for the info. We are active in WIT (Winnebago Itasca Travelers) RV club and we must own a Winnebago product to belong. I hear nothing but good things about the Tiffin products and support.
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
Hikerdogs wrote:
Yellowboat. wrote:
Hi all.

Safe travels.
JD

It all depends on what year chassis your 2005 motorhome is built on. Ford did not make a 2005 F53 chassis. They continued the 2004 chassis(310 hp 2 valve per cylinder engine and 4R100 4 speed transmission with overdrive)until the end of February of 2005. They skipped the 2005 model year designation and went to the 2006 model designation when they introduced the 362 hp 3 valve per cylinder engine and 5 speed R5110W Tow/Haul transmission on March 1, 2005.

If you have the later model F53 chassis you won't see much difference in performance. The ride however will be improved with the larger 22.5" tires and the suspension modifications made to accommodate them.

If you have the earlier F53 chassis you'll see a considerable difference in both ride and performance. We went from a 2001 Adventurer on the F53 chassis to a 2013 Adventurer on the F53 chassis. The differences are noticeable. The new one drives easier, has quicker acceleration, better hill climbing ability, and has a more comfortable ride.

Thanks for the info. I have a 2005 coach built on a 2006 (Newer) Ford F-53 chassis. The dealer also had 2005 coaches built on the older chassis. I picked the one I own because it was on the newer chassis.
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowboat. wrote:
Hi all.

Safe travels.

JD

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowboat. wrote:
Hi all.

Safe travels.
JD

It all depends on what year chassis your 2005 motorhome is built on. Ford did not make a 2005 F53 chassis. They continued the 2004 chassis(310 hp 2 valve per cylinder engine and 4R100 4 speed transmission with overdrive)until the end of February of 2005. They skipped the 2005 model year designation and went to the 2006 model designation when they introduced the 362 hp 3 valve per cylinder engine and 5 speed R5110W Tow/Haul transmission on March 1, 2005.

If you have the later model F53 chassis you won't see much difference in performance. The ride however will be improved with the larger 22.5" tires and the suspension modifications made to accommodate them.

If you have the earlier F53 chassis you'll see a considerable difference in both ride and performance. We went from a 2001 Adventurer on the F53 chassis to a 2013 Adventurer on the F53 chassis. The differences are noticeable. The new one drives easier, has quicker acceleration, better hill climbing ability, and has a more comfortable ride.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both vintages. The older got better MPG, due to being lighter weight, sloping windshield. About 9. The newer got high 7's. Was 4k lbs more, taller, and very blunt front end. Newer road better but not significantly. Newer had many more amenities, but cost $75K more. Newer had few problems, much less miles.
Should have done what I did now. Skipped the second gasser. Have gone to a diesel for ride, looks, pride, even more amenities, power, fuel economy but greatly increased operating costs.
Do what you pocket book can afford.
As someone said before "Go to your Third RV, First" I've wasted almost $70k not doing that.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 handles like a dream. I previously had a 1996 F53. My first thoughts were the wheels must be the difference.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado