cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 Coachman Freelander 32bh Transfer Switch location?

randywhite30
Explorer
Explorer
I had my AC turned on when I switched from Shoreline power to generator. I was told that I most likely caused an issue with my transfer switch. I called the place I purchased my RV from and the cost seems a little high for what it is. Can someone tell me where the transfer switch is located?

Thanks,

Randy
11 REPLIES 11

randywhite30
Explorer
Explorer
Its a plugin, just like the picture.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
GOOD!

But we all want to know... IS there a Transfer Switch? Or do you have to plug like pictured above?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

randywhite30
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it was just the breaker. Thanks everyone.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others has said look for the plug in like this,to make sure that the power cord is connected to the generator.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
Are you positive you have an automatic transfer switch ? I just saw a brochure for the 2014 Coachmen Freelanders and they are manual generator changeover, meaning you have to plug your shore power cord into an outlet, in your RV, to get power from your generator.

Right on-----maybe. My 2010 Freelander didn't come with a Xfer switch. I installed one this morning.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Are you positive you have an automatic transfer switch ? I just saw a brochure for the 2014 Coachmen Freelanders and they are manual generator changeover, meaning you have to plug your shore power cord into an outlet, in your RV, to get power from your generator.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

randywhite30
Explorer
Explorer
I did check the breakers. I will look again tonight.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my '98 Coachmen the transfer switch is mounted onto the back of the AC side of the power center. That's a common, but by no means universal, mounting location.

Have you verified that the circuit breaker on the generator itself is not tripped by manually resetting it? Sometimes they can be tripped without obviously appearing to be tripped.

randywhite30
Explorer
Explorer
The issue seems to be fairly simple.

The generator powers on and is producing power, but that power is not getting inside the cab.

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Follow your power cord back into your rig. The box it enters is most probably your power transfer switch. When you find the box have someone turn the power off then on the box should make an audible click or thump sound. With power disconnected remove the cover and visually inspect for melted wires. Tighten all connections. This is a maintenance item that really should be done once a year anyway.

Having your AC on when switching from shore to generator is not recommended but in most cases would only blow the breaker on the generator or in the power panel.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of malfunction have you noticed since you did that.....exactly ??
If there is no malfunction, there is no issue.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"