cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 Subaru Forester dingy

Normph
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Subaru Forester with manual transmission, purchased to tow behind my motor home with all wheels on the ground. I have recently read an article in the FMCA magazine which indicated that the factory has stipulated that the car is no longer recommended for towing. Does anyone have valid info on this subject?
Thanx for your help.
Norm F

Norm F

12 REPLIES 12

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bigdog wrote:
I got the same smell from my previous '06 POS Trailblazer and my current '11 worse POS Jeep Liberty. I was told that it's mebbee from scuffing the front tires when towing.

that's sort of what I was thinking.
bumpy

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I got the same smell from my previous '06 POS Trailblazer and my current '11 worse POS Jeep Liberty. I was told that it's mebbee from scuffing the front tires when towing.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Boxer Lovers wrote:
I have owned 4 Subaru's, 2 were tows with 5 speed manuals. Occassionally I would get a whif of burning oil after starting tow up following a long pull. Could be something wasn't getting lubricated. Hate to see them pull the towing endorsment because they are great cars.

Hello Boxer,

The smell that we get from our '13 Honda is more of a 'minor' burnt rubber odor. We had the same experience from our previous '07 Honda.

Many people have reported a burnt rubber smell after towing. 'They' say it's the rubber particles that are thrown up from the street surface by the coach and land in the engine compartment of the toad.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned 4 Subaru's, 2 were tows with 5 speed manuals. Occassionally I would get a whif of burning oil after starting tow up following a long pull. Could be something wasn't getting lubricated. Hate to see them pull the towing endorsment because they are great cars.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely loved my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited turbo, and would have been happy to keep it forever. However, it only had a little over 4" of ground clearance.

I wanted a 2013 Subaru Outback, with leather, climate control, a sunroof and a 6 speed trans, so I could tow it behind our MH.

In all their wisdom, Subaru decided they would only sell the fully loaded vehicles (leather, sunroof etc) with their new CVT (constant velocity transmission), which isn't tow-able. I called them and asked if they would build one to my specs. They refused, so I ended up buying a 2013 Honda CRV, with leather, sunroof, climate control and the ground clearance I needed.

Now the Honda has virtually the same CVT, and isn't towable.

I really believe Subaru made a huge mistake. I would have paid extra to have a Subaru. The Honda is OK, but it certainly isn't a Subaru.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, so you don't like my use of the word bible? Sorry!
However, if the "book" says don't do it, don't do it! If you choose to do it despite being warned NOT to do it then I guess prayer would be the right course of action. :S :h :@
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The FMCA towing guide is pretty much the bible of towing. If they say don't do it, I would not do it.

it is a good thing that it is a bible, since if things go wrong, prayer is your only salvation.
bumpy

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The FMCA towing guide is pretty much the bible of towing. If they say don't do it, I would not do it.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what is said in your owner's manual under either recreational towing or towing behind a motorhome. or is the only reference "emergency towing"? that is the only "VALID" information.
bumpy

hfbundy
Explorer
Explorer
Normph wrote:
I have a 2016 Subaru Forester with manual transmission, purchased to tow behind my motor home with all wheels on the ground. I have recently read an article in the FMCA magazine which indicated that the factory has stipulated that the car is no longer recommended for towing. Does anyone have valid info on this subject?
Thanx for your help.

I can't answer your question, but I have a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek that I have successfully flat towed for approximately 11,000 miles including 3 trips from northern Washington to Arizona,1 trip to Yellowstone, and 1 through the Canadian rockies. I have documentation stating that flat towing was approved at the time I purchased it. If the owner's manual still says you can flat tow it, I would probably do it. However, there is never any assurance that a manufacturer will not challenge you if anything goes wrong. As another respondent suggested not much can go wrong if you haul it on a trailer and it is understandable that the manufacturer would be inclined to make such a recommendation.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! From the OP's post, it appears he bought the vehicle specifically to tow without doing the proper research. The Subaru is not recommended as 4 wheel towable. I hope this works out for the OP.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
from the Subaru.com factory site, customer support pages:
"Please follow the recommendations outlined in the Owner's Manual if there is a need to tow a Subaru vehicle. The best way to transport your vehicle is a flatbed tow truck with ALL wheels off the ground. Always follow the precautions and recommendations outlined in the Owner's Manual if flat towing with all wheels on the ground is unavoidable in an emergency situation."
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed